advertisement

Low Cost Flights - are they dangerous?

yes, must have been a scary situation when it kicks off...I'm guessing he was probably drunk :(
People who kick off on a flight should have their passports revoked indefinitely. Why risk them behaving that way a second time?

I once had someone tell me to “shut that f**king brat up”, my 2 year old daughter was tired and fed up thanks to our delayed flight out of Heraklion. I wanted to tear his head off but I calmly said to him, “let’s discuss this when we’re back on tarmac”... he went quiet and couldn’t get off the flight fast enough when we landed, he kept a large distance from us in baggage reclaim.:D

Like I said. Bright lad. (Apart from walking down a hole)
High places can be a little unforgiving of mistakes like that. A friend of mine made a mistake rigging an abseil and stepped off Tremadog cliffs. Game over. He was a bright lad too, had just retrained as a teacher and loved it.

People who kick off on a flight should have their passports revoked indefinitely. Why risk them behaving that way a second time?
I may be mistaken but I think that people offloaded in those circumstances tend to find it very difficult to book flights in future, particularly with that airline.

I'm pretty convinced that a lot of bad behaviour on flights is not just down to the booze, but is an outlet for nerves, or fear. I also hate great mobs of boisterous piss heads who 'Don't mean any harm'. You get the same on trains, esp. Friday and Saturday. These people may not mean any harm, but they are insensitive, selfish, ignorant and intimidating. They also give a very poor impression of Brits.

I'm a huge fan of aviation and have a strong interest in it. But I am also not the happiest flyer. I just don't like being unable to get off when I want. But, A swift brandy and sometimes a little Diazepam keeps my feelings in check. I don't impose them on every one else.

Mull

I watch it and enjoy it.

Arye
I watch Air Crash Investigations, Mayday etc. I I wouldn’t say I enjoy them as such, I’m fascinated by them but I often feel very sad watching them. I’ve watched countless air accident documentaries and I’m not at all scared of flying. My father is an RTA investigator, trust me, we’re far more at risk every time we get in a car... doesn’t stop me driving and enjoying it.

Interesting comments about commercial pilot training. A friend of mine who I have known since he was a lad flying gliders (over 30 years ago), has just finishing his commercial training. Spent some time out in Malaga flying the Diamond twin engine to get his multi engine and instrument/night ratings. Robert is currently learning to fly the Kingair with Gama aviation to fly for the Scottish Air Ambulance service. For the best of reasons I don't want to be one of his passengers but know his passengers will be in good hands.

His mid-life career change was a brave decision, but none of his friends doubted his ability as a pilot.

I'm pretty convinced that a lot of bad behaviour on flights is not just down to the booze, but is an outlet for nerves, or fear. I also hate great mobs of boisterous piss heads who 'Don't mean any harm'. You get the same on trains, esp. Friday and Saturday. These people may not mean any harm, but they are insensitive, selfish, ignorant and intimidating. They also give a very poor impression of Brits

I'm not so convinced about the fear/nerves angle. I think it's more a case of mob mentality, and a sense of inhibition derived from that and the anticipation of the destination, or return from a trip. Not saying nerves and fear play no part, but I suspect there's a larger element of "we're having fun, why aren't you?" when it comes to groups.

And there's another aspect: travel, particularly air travel, seems to bring out the worst in some people. The way I've seen some people treat cabin crew has nothing to do with fear and nerves, and probably everything to do with a sudden disinhibition.

I'm pretty convinced that a lot of bad behaviour on flights is not just down to the booze, but is an outlet for nerves, or fear. I also hate great mobs of boisterous piss heads who 'Don't mean any harm'. You get the same on trains, esp. Friday and Saturday. These people may not mean any harm, but they are insensitive, selfish, ignorant and intimidating. They also give a very poor impression of Brits.

I'm a huge fan of aviation and have a strong interest in it. But I am also not the happiest flyer. I just don't like being unable to get off when I want. But, A swift brandy and sometimes a little Diazepam keeps my feelings in check. I don't impose them on every one else.

Mull

I was unfortunate to suffer a rugby club colts team going on tour at the Eurotunnel terminal few years back.
Their disgusting, drunken behaviour and the adults with them caused most families to leave the confines of the terminal for a bit of peace and escape from the disgusting songs the yobs seemed to enjoy singing repeatedly.
No doubt they considered it to be harmless fun just because they were’t throwing punches.

This.

To maximise life chances move to a bungalow.
Just done that, moved into a bungalow about 5 months ago, the risk of me falling downstairs has reduced dramatically... nearly snuffed it eating a piece of chicken in a restaurant a couple of weeks ago though, I’ve a narrow oesophagus and have to be careful but I got caught out, it got completely stuck, my throat swelled and I was struggling to breathe and choking on saliva... blue light trip to hospital that was, if I’d have been alone when it happened, I doubt I’d be here now.

To get back a little on track . The OP has watched something that suggested that low cost carriers are a danger.

There is no evidence of any such thing. If anything they are probably safer than many traditional airlines. They often have newer fleets. Aircrew actually get more flying hours and are perhaps even more experienced with more landings every month. Think about it - aircrew on a trans-ocean or other long distance flight have many hours with extremely little to do.

If 'authorities' thought for one moment that LCAs were any danger, they would act immediately.

And it remains the case that air travel is safer than driving down to the corner shop for a loaf of bread.

I was working for FLS at Stansted when RyanAir wanted to try a new approach to servicing.

This involved taking elements of the more in-depth servicings, the C and D checks, and doing them during the shorter A check. An A check, for example, is carried out overnight in a hangar, but might be completed by the maintenance team two hours before the aircraft is required. That left time for one or two checks from a D. In this way, the aircraft downtime during the much longer D check, for example, could be greatly reduced over the course of a few scheduled A checks.

This sounds simple enough, but it flew in the face of what the regulatory authorities (the CAA and EASA) were familiar and comfortable with. So they watched them like a hawk. At that time FLS carries out all RyanAir's servicing (losing money each and every manhour) and so came under very close examination during frequent audits.

No problems occurred as far as I can remember. I'm out of civvie aviation at the mo, but I'd expect that approach to be used across the globe now.

I am in shock because of an article in channel 1 describing Low Cost Flights (LCF) as dangerous.

First they described the growth of the LCF telling that few months ago in one day there were more LCF flights in the skies of Europe than regular flights.

Then they described how LCF companies are killing regular companies like Monarch, Air Berlin and Al Italia.

Next step was explaining the obvious, if you pay cheap you must understand that there are no free gifts...

The last and the frightening was telling about the pilots. In the regular companies, pilot must have 1,500 hours at least to get the job. In LCF, there are pilots with 300 hours of experience only(!!!) and pilots that are paying to the LCF companies in order to fly jets there. Many of the pilots are not employees of the LCF companies, they are self employees who are working by invoices!!!

Have you heard these things?

Arye
I'm not sure. But, as the Duke of Wellington said of the railways, they enable the working classes to move around unnecessarily, and no good will come of them.

advertisement

Back