advertisement

Low Cost Flights - are they dangerous?

Route cause analysis.

Otherwise you'll never understand what the hell is going on.

And so the problem might recur

I certainly agree he should have been removed. I also doubt he had an 'excuse'. However, it is possible that there was a reason, beyond him being clearly racist. In other words, there could well have been plenty more recists on the flight, but only he 'kicked off'.
That would have been determined after he had been ejected. Even if he had some medical excuse, he should have been ejected. Racists who keep quiet do not annoy anyone.

It can be tricky to balance the issues & come to the right decision quickly, especially if the cabin crew are fairly young/ inexperienced.
Insist the passenger is offloaded, with repercussions such as a delay & losing the take off slot etc. The Capt will be focussed on punctuality & may need convincing that the situation is severe enough to justify a delay.
The other option is to hope that the situation fizzles out & by swapping seats around the issue gets resolved.
Although such obvious outbursts of racism may be rare, crew do frequently have to deal with drunk passengers, with similar decisions to take.

It can be tricky to balance the issues & come to the right decision quickly, especially if the cabin crew are fairly young/ inexperienced.
Insist the passenger is offloaded, with repercussions such as a delay & losing the take off slot etc. The Capt will be focussed on punctuality & may need convincing that the situation is severe enough to justify a delay.
The other option is to hope that the situation fizzles out & by swapping seats around the issue gets resolved.
Although such obvious outbursts of racism may be rare, crew do frequently have to deal with drunk passengers, with similar decisions to take.
I agree that schedules are a consideration, but the safety of the flight is the first priority of the captain. He or she's not focussed on punctuality, per se. If they thought that the passenger was likely to kick off again once airborne that could present a genuine risk to the flight, so I think that would inform the decision whether or not to offload.

I saw an interview with a recently retired cabin crew manager yesterday.

Her view, backed by years of doing the job and training others, was that he should have been removed immediately. There is NO valid reason to continue with him on board. RyanAir would have pursued him for any costs.

Right. For the umpteenth time I accept that he is racist and his behaviour is unacceptable. What I am trying to extablish is whether there is something particular to flying, which makes people more likely to behave badly?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-37386554

And is it solely down to Alcohol?

I don't think it's just particular to flying - as like most aspects of life people seem to be getting more angry, on trains, buses, road rage, nights out etc...

I saw an interview with a recently retired cabin crew manager yesterday.

Her view, backed by years of doing the job and training others, was that he should have been removed immediately. There is NO valid reason to continue with him on board. RyanAir would have pursued him for any costs.

I do wonder why this wasn't done.

Was it, that the pressure on staff to maintain punctuality the staff are only encouraged to act in more extreme situations - actual violence.

or the staff were so poorly trained (I have no doubt that the training includes the obligatory safety etc elements), they didn't recognise the situation developing and/or didn't understand how to act....I dont know the answer, but I imagine RA staff development and support covers only the bare minimum

or they were frightened of acting

advertisement

Back