advertisement

Looking for a pre that is better than Naim NAC52

Bob those are mic preamps very different, you can use any effect or type of sound you like to create music, but 'we' are just trying to faithfully reproduce music.
A preamp should be audibly transparent, and I would imagine most solid st
ate preamps are.
Keith.

The "better than" thing is open to individual tastes & ends up in a competitive willy waving scenario.
So substitute "I preferred" in place of "better than" & my list of stuff to try out would include :-
Budget----2nd hand Avondale Grad1.... Old school, no remote & limited amount of inputs, but arguably qualifies highly in the " transparent, nothing added, nothing taken away" viewpoint & within an all Avondale system I heard, sounded stunning.
Further up the price range, look at Vitus Audio. Blooming expensive, but probably the best I've ever heard.
And just to throw some valves into the fray, I went from a 282/Scap/250 to a Graaf GM50 integrated valve amp & never looked back. I don't find it any less "transparent" or any more " coloured" than my previous tranny amp stuff, whereas others here say with authority that valves are exactly that. Maybe I'm deaf, but I'm extremely happy with the amp & haven't had any amp-upgrade-itis since. ( but that Vitus audio stuff could tempt me if I suddenly became rich!!)
Matt.

Aside from absolute judgments, I thought it worth noting that following Linn's change of direction there are a lot of Klimix Kontrol units about at very attractive prices at present. I had one at home along with Naim 552 and Ayre KX-R a couple of years ago and it didn't come off worst. (Though I chose Audio Research eventually 'cause I like older stuff)

Did anyone have exprience with Vacuum state RTP3D ,Vacuum state SVP2?

I am surprised that nobody recommends Krel, Audio Research, CJ pre.

BAT anyone? :D

Audio Research, CJ etc ruled out here because

A pre amp should be transparent, if you win to add 'colour' then something with valves.

No point in disputing logic like that. (Except to mention some music has colour).

advertisement

Back