advertisement

Looking for a pre that is better than Naim NAC52

Or a pre. even ! E.A.R. don't make a duff product, it seems. Used around the world, just like Naim. but still run by the talented if slightly idiosyncratic designer, unlike Naim.

Of course there's Art Audio (Tom Willis) and one or two more British valved amplication designers, but if you want 'not really valvey' valved amp's, E.A.R. is the place. Occasionally come up used, too.

I used to be a Naim amplification user for over 30 years with the CB era 32.5, Hi-cap and 250. Whilst using an LP12 and Linn Isobarik speakers.

I've still kept Snaps and 101 tuner and Hi-cap with CD 3.5.

Moved on now and use an Avondale Grad 1 pre amp with TPX2 power supply for me this is Nirvana. I use Witch Hat Audio mono amps which i'm also happy with.

Regards,

Martin

Pre amps:
1. Music First Classic Copper TVC
2.Baby Reference
3. Dynavector L300
4. TEAD Vibe
5. Aurorasound Preda
6. Accuphase C3850
7. Classe CP500
8. Accuphase C2400
9. Pass Labs B1 buffer
10. Teddy Pardo PR1
11. Electrocompaniet – which model?
12. Pass Labs XP20

the mfa classic mark 2 copper is superb for the money . really beautiful sound
approx. 1k -1.4k and worth every penny

the vibe is also very good

I'd just buy a good integrated. In my case I moved from a 52/scap/250/ 32.5/hicap/mono 110s. to the NAD M3. Also unlike the Naim offerings it is actually quite a powerful amplifier.
I moved from 52/SC/250 to Devialet D200. it was 2 years 1/2 ago... not a single second of regret since then.. after 25 years of Naim ;)

A mate replaced his NAC52 with a Passive Pre. Said it was better & trousered a chunk of change.

The next step is to take the pre-amp out altogether. All it does is add dirt to the signal and if you don't need it to switch source or control the volume (or disguise something else you don't like about your system) taking it out is the best way.

I took a (pretty good) pre out of our system and connected the streamer (with inbuilt volume control) straight to the power amp. It was a big upgrade.....

Of course there's Art Audio (Tom Willis) and one or two more British valved amplication designers, but if you want 'not really valvey' valved amp's, E.A.R. is the place. Occasionally come up used, too.

Other "Not really valvey" tube preamps include
TRON Seven (or Syren depending on budget)
LAMM LL2
VAC Signature SE

Some of the pre-amps that have been suggested in this thread are really chalk and cheese from each other and nothing like the Naim at all.

Some of the pre-amps that have been suggested in this thread are really chalk and cheese from each other and nothing like the Naim at all.

Surely one of them works properly! Apparently the Naim one has 'a sound' so which of the others gets closest to doing the job right and working as a hi fi amp?

Call me old fashioned but I'm interested in hi-fi. My amp has tone controls but I almost always by pass them because I want to hear what was recorded in the first place which according to the Stereophile measurements it does better than almost anything.

I moved from 52/SC/250 to Devialet D200. it was 2 years 1/2 ago... not a single second of regret since then.. after 25 years of Naim ;)

I can imagine. It was finally getting the right source into my Devialet 250 that told me that the NAC52/135s had to go. If the D250 had the option of analogue straight through to amp, I would have kept it. But for digital it was better.

It's exactly the same science, whatever you put in front of signal and send that signal through, has an effect. The "sound of the BBC" particularly that of local BBC stations, is traditionally, the sound of Neve and the various versions of his designs made down the years.

There are preamps for recording which are known as "Straightwire" pres where, there is as little in the path of the signal as is possible. George Massenburg's company GML ,do pres with that flavour.

advertisement

Back