advertisement

Log burner

Wow... Who'd have thought wood burners could be so competitive! Anyone up for blind-testing some seasoned logs?:D

Marco.

Last edited:
Wow... Who'd have thought wood burners could be so competitive! Anyone up for blind-testing some seasoned logs?:D

Marco.

Already done it!! Kiln dried ash for me as a first preference followed by oak, then birch. Although happy having any type of they are well seasoned, except softwoods.

Not sure what we've got - certainly some silver birch - that burns well but seems to rot easily (remember we took over a house with an unmanaged heap of logs). We also have something that could be cherry and that burns wonderfully. Maybe some laurel but beyond we are adhering to double blind test protocols.

I asked my wife if I could buy a moisture meter but she thinks we have enough gadgets.

But most of the way through the winter and the fire has been a success - the only other heating is electric radiant panels hidden in the ceilings and while they work, we use the log burner for almost all of our room heating (not for water though).

Kiln dried ash oak mix here. Moisture meter.:D But then I also have a ppm meter for my DI car washing watero_O

...causes much consternation chez moi:)

Another way of testing the dryness is to knock two logs together. If they produce a hollow sound they are probably reasonably dry against a thud sound that wet wood gives.

Ultimately, the best test is to burn it. If it ignites easily, doesn’t turn the glass black and is free from spits and crackles then it’s good.

GetAttachmentThumbnail

GetAttachmentThumbnail

My chopper and wood store. Every Christmas I ask the wife for a chainsaw and every year she says no.

That's lovely Tigerjones. We may build some more covered area sometime. The plastic sheeting lacks a certain something.

I was nervous about a chainsaw - a friend accidentally attempted to cut his wife's leg off (don't tell your wife that, Tiger...). Anyway I got this electric rechargeable one and it's been brilliant both for felling small trees and cutting them up.

We uncovered some really big tree trunks the previous occupants had left in the undergrowth. A nice find but meant pushing the chainsaw well beyond it's design limits in terms of diameter) but bit-by-bit I got it done. My new skill for 2019 has been to keep the chain sharp.

IMG_2974 by Ian123_running, on Flickr

Now - axe or wedge? I have these big things to split some time.

advertisement

Back