advertisement

Lintone Audio over and out

I got my Audiolab 8200cdq from them. They used to get lots of special deals of items being replaced by new models. My 8200cdq cost just £600 I think

It’s all about omni channel these days, I don’t think a retailer can survive just through the shop anymore.

Agreed but this from Audio Therapy's terms was interesting...

"Orders & Timescales. Any order which is placed using prices from this website will be accepted as an offer to purchase at the advertised price. All orders must be paid for in full before or on delivery. A deposit which is equal to a minimum of 50% of the value of the order must be paid at the time the order is placed/confirmed. Goods that require ordering with a supplier of Audio Therapy will not be placed until this deposit is paid. Audio Therapy will always attempt to provide an accurate timescale for lead times but sometimes these timescales can change. Audio Therapy will always keep the client informed of progress on items on order."

• He doesn't need to hold stock.
  • He holds on to a minimum of 50% of the purchase price but the whole transaction is subject to the suppliers credit terms. He can pay them weeks after delivery to you.
  • There is no commitment on timescales just a vague best efforts promise.
I guess you could say that this is clever, I have another word for it

"Orders & Timescales. Any order which is placed using prices from this website will be accepted as an offer to purchase at the advertised price. All orders must be paid for in full before or on delivery. A deposit which is equal to a minimum of 50% of the value of the order must be paid at the time the order is placed/confirmed. Goods that require ordering with a supplier of Audio Therapy will not be placed until this deposit is paid. Audio Therapy will always attempt to provide an accurate timescale for lead times but sometimes these timescales can change. Audio Therapy will always keep the client informed of progress on items on order."

• He holds on to a minimum of 50% of the purchase price but the whole transaction is subject to the suppliers credit terms. He can pay them weeks after delivery to you.
Fair enough, not all retailers do that, especially in non-audio. Can you recall buying anything else online with such terms, if I buy something from, say, Next you pay & the product turns up. ASOS have massive stock levels & large numbers of staff, huge warehouses etc.

Makes sense to me. Why hold inventory and tie up cash when you don’t need to? When you buy a tin of beans in Tesco and pay in full today, do you think Tesco have already paid Heinz?

I think it more likely that audio therapy hold selected stock from the brands they retail and have no desire to be left holding the baby for online tyre kickers.

I’ll jump in to wish Tony the best in his retirement and I hope it doesn’t take too long to for the guys in the shop to sort themselves out with new employment.

For a bit of clarity I operate from home, I have 2 dedicated demo rooms coming soon after a recent house move and I typically hold around £500,000 worth of stock. The majority of this is demo stock, with boxed new stock of popular key items too. It is impossible to keep everything to hand so some items are ordered as and when they are required. I spend I would guess around 70% of my time in front of customers systems.

The vast majority of what I sell is sold based around a customer demonstration and I’m quite happy to loan the customer the demo item until the new one they have ordered arrives, this generally works pretty well.

I’d rather someone buy nothing as opposed to buy the wrong item blind! I’ve a good number of customers who frequent PFM.

Lastly I don’t want to hijack the thread!

Once again all the best to Tony in his retirement.

What a shame. Purchased a few items from Lintone over the years. Great company to deal with.

I visited them once when I lived in Newcastle, back in 1990. Very nice chaps back then.

Hugely grateful to them for converting me to Arcam when they had a shop in Durham way back. The Arcam 7 CD player still operating faultlessly, and using just the transport facility nothing between that and my relatively new Belcanto.

Good luck to the staff.

I bought pretty much all of my kit from Tony.

Fabulous bloke, was in the shop a while back (pre-pandemic), and was over the moon to see he was still there!

S

That’s sad news. I’ve bought a few bits of kit from their eBay store including a Meridian CD player at an amazing price!

Bought an ADC magnesium headshell there on a trip from the US in 1978 (the beginning of the Linn/Naim hegemony)! I'm surprised that part of town has lasted this long.

Good times, sorry to see them go
“that part of town”, not posh enough for you?
Disgraceful comment.

Hugely grateful to them for converting me to Arcam when they had a shop in Durham way back. The Arcam 7 CD player still operating faultlessly, and using just the transport facility nothing between that and my relatively new Belcanto.

Good luck to the staff.
Yes, forgot about that outlet (that’s four), about half way down the North Road if I remember correctly.

The fantastic thing is he knew his nutters, a proper 'proprietor' - I'm a hooligan, I like my sound systems banging...conversation went....

'Tony, not getting enough bass'

'Try these' (Handing over some VDH cables)

They worked, paid him for the wire next time I was in :)

However he also catered for his Linn/Naim demographic.....who were probably more particular

It also felt fabulous walking out of the shop with thousands of quids worth of kit to try out.......but he knew I was going to buy it!

S

The fantastic thing is he knew his nutters, a proper 'proprietor' - I'm a hooligan, I like my sound systems banging...conversation went....

'Tony, not getting enough bass'

'Try these' (Handing over some VDH cables)

They worked, paid him for the wire next time I was in :)

However he also catered for his Linn/Naim demographic.....who were probably more particular

It also felt fabulous walking out of the shop with thousands of quids worth of kit to try out.......but he knew I was going to buy it!

S
He was a real Naimee. Loved his kit and his hard rock.

That’s sad news. I’ve bought a few bits of kit from their eBay store including a Meridian CD player at an amazing price!

I have also paid amazing prices for Meridian kit, only to discover they cannot be fixed......thats amazing in a bad way, if your irony filter is switched off,

S

I have also paid amazing prices for Meridian kit, only to discover they cannot be fixed......thats amazing in a bad way, if your irony filter is switched off,

S
Hence the ‘bargain’ prices! I’m lucky my G06 never failed over four years of ownership…

advertisement

Back