advertisement

Linn vs the rest of the world.

The fact is he’s turntable where ok yet many produced better and well tempered where the best around with sound engineering Sold my LP12 Aro lingo after listening to a well tempered as I felt it was average at best lived with a Rega for a decade or two now own a wtt

And I was able to set mine up properly despite that I found the bearing wore out within 6 months and the linn arms where average after a year the aro was midrange forward and although they where better than CD I was not bothers seeing it go

There's a lot to be said for Well-Tempered tonearms.

Check this out.

https://www.stereophile.com/tonearms/485well/index.html

Many years ago I heard that Linn would not allow their turntables to be sold in shops that sold other makes of turntables.

I worked for my local Linn dealer (Precision Audio in Puerto Rico) from late 1984 to summer 1987 and besides Linn we sold Rega, Dual, and Revolver turntables.

I worked for my local Linn dealer (Precision Audio in Puerto Rico) from late 1984 to summer 1987 and besides Linn we sold Rega, Dual, and Revolver turntables.

I have no doubt that Linn did indeed did sell their turntables alongside other makes.

My point was that I heard a rumor which was corroborated by the magazine article listed earlier in this thread.

I can't elaborate further as the initial post was trying to find out if there was anything in this 'rumor'.

I think that the whole thing is most likely true due to the fact that the issue was already a 'subject of interest' even before the interview even took place.

The fact that it made it that far casts doubt on a lot of things re. Linn.

If Linn was that good then why does everyone pay a fortune for their stuff only to be offered an 'upgrade' a year later?

Fleecing, that's a good word.

Upgrades work but c'mon man, are there any original LP12s actually left on this planet?

I would think that most Thorens decks would have remained pretty much as-is other than the odd plinth, arm, cartridge change.

After all, they got it right the first time.

I have no doubt that Linn did indeed did sell their turntables alongside other makes.

My point was that I heard a rumor which was corroborated by the magazine article listed earlier in this thread.

I can't elaborate further as the initial post was trying to find out if there was anything in this 'rumor'.

I think that the whole thing is most likely true due to the fact that the issue was already a 'subject of interest' even before the interview even took place.

If Linn was that good then why does everyone pay a fortune for their stuff only to be offered an 'upgrade' a year later?

Upgrades work but c'mon man, are there any original LP12s actually left on this planet?

I would think that most Thorens decks would have remained pretty much as-is other than the odd plinth, arm, cartridge change.

They aren’t offered an upgrade “a year later” at all. The Cirkus came out in the early 90s. It’s was how many years before a better bearing was released? That’s just one example. Most product’s whole life-cycles don’t last as long as even one upgrade from Linn so how that makes Linn guilty of “fleecing” is beyond me. I sold my LP12 ten years ago, or more and was happy to move on but the idea that I was ripped off by them because they made a deck which allowed me to upgrade my Linn arm to a Naim Aro and replace a 20 year old bearing with a newer (and 2nd hand Cirkus that they made no money from) is crazy. As for getting right first time; were original Porsche owners ripped off because 50 years later they can make stuff better!?

Nearly at 10 pages.

Updates to the LP12 are probably at the same or slightly less frequency as Rega update their range?

The 9 came out in the late 90s? There has been a 10 & a P10 since then, along with many other numbers. The P3 remains a really good turntable.

So many options out there so why rage at something that you don’t want anyway?

Linn have always had very good engineering at the centre of all of their products (apart from the speakers - they are, without exception, rubbish). Their pricing is silly nowadays, but they made the leap into being a luxury brand quite a long time ago now, it's hardly a new development. Almost everything Ivor ever said was nonsense, of course, and his politics suck, but Linn are a decent enough company I think. I wouldn't own any of their products nowadays, but I can see the attraction. And a well maintained LP12 is a lovely turntable.

Why waste time tilting at windmills?
You have your agenda.
Largely debunked and disproved by now on here but still you continue.

I think there's an interesting parallel with the LP12 and the Golf GTI

Both launched in the 1970s, both upgraded regularly, both still available, both have fans that think the first version is the best, both currently available in current specification for £23,300

If you don't like them or just think something else is better no one is forcing you to buy one, but you shouldn't begrudge anyone else the opportunity to have one if they so wish.

I wouldn't buy anything made by Pink Triangle or Roksan. That's just my personnal prejudices and I wouldn't be worried or upset that anyone else loves those brands and dislikes Linn.

Each to their own!

Andy

I think that although they are a very clever, even inspirational design, the Well Tempered tonearm is the bottleneck in a Well Tempered turntable.
It looks a bit like something you’d assemble on the kitchen table, Heath Robinson.

Linn did everything they could to succeed including an aggressive phase as many have attested but I’m not seeing why the OP won’t leave it at that. I’ve not owned anything Linn for 20 years but have fond memories of the various items I owned including two LP12s.

Linn did everything they could to succeed including an aggressive phase as many have attested but I’m not seeing why the OP won’t leave it at that. I’ve not owned anything Linn for 20 years but have fond memories of the various items I owned including two LP12s.

I've been responding to issues raised during this thread. If you have anything valuable to contribute, be my guest but to say I won't leave it alone is a bit strange when I have people like you to respond to?

Why waste time tilting at windmills?
You have your agenda.
Largely debunked and disproved by now on here but still you continue.

You score no points.

What was my initial post about?

It was asking if anyone knew anything about it.

I was correct, there was a rumor.

Once the thread kicked off (to my shock) people started to add to the thread and it quickly got to the point where my initial question was hidden under pages of needless argument and insults.

I heard what I heard when it came out and I simply wondered if there was any truth in the ''rumor'.

I'll be quiet now.

I think there's an interesting parallel with the LP12 and the Golf GTI Both launched in the 1970s, both upgraded regularly, both still available, both have fans that think the first version is the best, both currently available in current specification for £23,300

I think a better analogy is the Fender Stratocaster but I did laugh at the thought of the top LP12 costing the same as a pretty decent car!

You score no points.

What was my initial post about?

It was asking if anyone knew anything about it.

I was correct, there was a rumor.

Once the thread kicked off (to my shock) people started to add to the thread and it quickly got to the point where my initial question was hidden under pages of needless argument and insults.

I heard what I heard when it came out and I simply wondered if there was any truth in the ''rumor'.

I'll be quiet now.
What an incredible rant, have you considered therapy?

I think a better analogy is the Fender Stratocaster but I did laugh at the thought of the top LP12 costing the same as a pretty decent car!
Ivor's legacy: They know how to charge!

Yes, there is quite a difference between the American, Japanese, Mexican and Chinese strats, pricewise!
But the top new prices that I've seen are around £3500

Most expensive Strat ever .......£3,900,000
David Gilmour auctioned his black Strat and a number of other guitars for £21,400,000 and gave it all to charity!!

Andy

advertisement

Back