advertisement

Linn vs the rest of the world.

Thorens were not really in the game during the 90s IME.

Linn obviously did get it right as they are still trading & have a number of products that people deem desirable.

Many car manufacturers have tried the ‘hot hatch’ but only a handful were successful at it &, arguably, only one is now considered iconic. It’s just how things are.

I don't think anyone would say VW didn't get the Golf right with the Mk1 version, but it's not stopped them trying to improve it as technology moves on.

So it is with Linn and the LP12.

No one is forced to spend money on their version. If you want to, great. if you don't, that's great too.

I haven't spent a penny on mine since I got it because I like it how it is.

Linn must be doing something right as they are still trading.

Andy

I had to laugh at this :)

None of them sounded as good as the LP12 in any of it's guises.

When you compared a fully working, good condition, suitably positioned and supported Thorens TD124 Mark II in a solid plinth with a high quality arm and cartridge, how did it sound, in your opinion to a base spec 1970's LP12?

2F3A3727+copy+2.jpeg

Because surely for you to make the claim that none of the Thorens sounded as good as the LP12 in any of its' guises, you must have done an AB volume matched bake-off of one of the best Thorens turntables against one of the least developed LP12's?
Maybe you've already published your report of this bake-off? In which case you could simply provide us a link to save you some typing?

When you compared a fully working, good condition, suitably positioned and supported Thorens TD124 Mark II in a solid plinth with a high quality arm and cartridge, how did it sound, in your opinion to a base spec 1970's LP12?

2F3A3727+copy+2.jpeg

Because surely for you to make the claim that none of the Thorens sounded as good as the LP12 in any of its' guises, you must have done an AB volume matched bake-off of one of the best Thorens turntables against one of the least developed LP12's?
Maybe you've already published your report of this bake-off? In which case you could simply provide us a link to save you some typing?

I think you are missing the point :)

I have to be honest, I can’t comment on the early LP12 VS stock original TD150, because it’s been a long time since I heard an early LP12 and the only stock original TD150 I’ve heard had a shagged arm and sounded terrible. Also the LP12 was more variable as it didn’t come with an arm, results would ultimately depend on your choice of arm, I wasn’t born when they were new to make the comparison back then. What I will say is that I heard a fully restored TD150 in an aftermarket plinth, and fitted with an SME 3009 series iii arm and Ortofon 2M black cartridge last week, it sounded superb!

Unless there is something fundamentally wrong in the original design and/or build quality, most turntables, properly fettled, will sound pretty decent.

After that it's purely down to which you prefer or which sounds best within your budget.

Linn have tried to keep the LP12 up to date with improvements in mechanics and electronics and have made them all, by and large, retrofittable. If you want to keep up to date with all the latest innovations, again up to you. There's not many other turntables you can say that about.

Linn's pricing is another thing. If you think they are over priced you still have the choice of whether to buy or not buy.

As an ex self-employed business owner I know how difficult it can be judging the level to set your charges at.
Too high - no one wants to buy. Too low - you are impacting on profits and the ability to fund your ongoing R&D.

Andy

I don't think anyone would say VW didn't get the Golf right with the Mk1 version, but it's not stopped them trying to improve it as technology moves on.

So it is with Linn and the LP12.

No one is forced to spend money on their version. If you want to, great. if you don't, that's great too.

I haven't spent a penny on mine since I got it because I like it how it is.

Linn must be doing something right as they are still trading.
I wish cars had the same retrofitability (is that even a word?) as the venerable LP12. But I guess it is far more profitable to make and sell new whole cars than cater for the 'upgrade' market. Different situation with the LP12, of course, with vastly more of them in service than Linn will ever sell again.

I wish cars had the same retrofitability (is that even a word?) as the venerable LP12. But I guess it is far more profitable to make and sell new whole cars than cater for the 'upgrade' market. Different situation with the LP12, of course, with vastly more of them in service than Linn will ever sell again.

If cars had the same retrofitability as the LP12 we all be driving and paying way too much for 1000 different versions of a car that looks like it was built in 1972. Hmm, Think I'll upgrade this week to the new CranK upgrade, the new keyless push button start, or the new Klean, the new direct injection for cleaner burn, we need to be environmentally conscious after all.
But dare we change the way it looks though? Nope, not a world I'd want to live in. ...BTW, I'm sticking with the AM radio upgraded with the 8 "TracK" option it came with??

I would gladly buy a classic BMW E46 coupe retrofitted with a B58 engine, ZF8AT transmission, LED headlights and active safety systems, but I'd definitely keep the analogue instrument binnacle, svelte proportions and sublime chassis. BMW can keep their electrically assisted steering rack. Give me hydraulic every time.

There are some classic automotive forms from the 70s and 80s too that look just as gorgeous today as they did in their time.

Last edited:
I would gladly buy a classic BMW E46 coupe retrofitted with a B58 engine, ZF8AT transmission, LED headlights and active safety systems, but I'd definitely keep the analogue instrument binnacle, svelte proportions and sublime chassis.

There are some classic automotive forms from the 70s and 80s too that look just as gorgeous today as they did in their time.
I adore VW golfs, they’re unpretentious, fun to drive and comfortable, I’ve had this one for absolutely years, and I intend to keep it going for many more yet… I haven’t gone as far as an engine transplant, but the engine has been fettled, it has uprated suspension and bushings… inside it has Apple CarPlay with reversing camera keeping the infotainment up to date… so it goes and handles like a new car, has the convenience features of a new car, but has the soul of an older car, the more organic feel, and the looks (though that’s a matter of taste). I have more pride of ownership with this than I’d have with a new one… and it’s less likely to give me any major/expensive issues!
esvh4an.jpg

gUZvKOi.jpg

5MMsE7N.jpg

There is quite a strong market for aftermarket performance upgrades with many cars, VW/Audi and BMW being absolutely no exception… this old golf will put you back in your seat more than it did when it left the factory, and it’ll hold the road better too.

Very nice looking Golf Simon.....But does it have a 3 spring suspension @ a Aktiv Linn Stereo in it something knocked up by you ..Kans on the doors and an Isobarik DMS in the boot for bass.
Separate battery for stereo of cause....
Hope you are getting over the sad news you posted about...not easy..

Very nice looking Golf Simon.....But does it have a 3 spring suspension @ a Aktiv Linn Stereo in it something knocked up by you ..Kans on the doors and an Isobarik DMS in the boot for bass.
Separate battery for stereo of cause....
Hope you are getting over the sad news you posted about...not easy..
Hope it isn’t on three springs, I had four Eibach ones fitted! It has Dynaudio speakers, can’t remember the model numbers, they’ve been in years, hidden behind the factory grilles… sound good fed from Qobuz!

As for the news about my friend, that’s going to take a very long time to get used to, I’ll never get over it as such, he was too big a part of my life, my soulmate. I’m starting to be able to function normally again now though, albeit I feel tired all the time (but then I’m never not busy lately, 12 hours of meetings, venue recces, risk assessments etc ahead of events today alone! Tomorrow is PAT testing day… long day for a sound engineer, I’d put a lot of this kind of work off when Brent died and now I’m playing catch up.

I adore VW golfs, they’re unpretentious, fun to drive and comfortable, I’ve had this one for absolutely years, and I intend to keep it going for many more yet… I haven’t gone as far as an engine transplant, but the engine has been fettled, it has uprated suspension and bushings… inside it has Apple CarPlay with reversing camera keeping the infotainment up to date… so it goes and handles like a new car, has the convenience features of a new car, but has the soul of an older car, the more organic feel, and the looks (though that’s a matter of taste). I have more pride of ownership with this than I’d have with a new one… and it’s less likely to give me any major/expensive issues!
esvh4an.jpg

gUZvKOi.jpg

5MMsE7N.jpg

There is quite a strong market for aftermarket performance upgrades with many cars, VW/Audi and BMW being absolutely no exception… this old golf will put you back in your seat more than it did when it left the factory, and it’ll hold the road better too.

Lovely.

Reminds me of a toy car I owned as a child....but bigger. :D

Hope it isn’t on three springs, I had four Eibach ones fitted! It has Dynaudio speakers, can’t remember the model numbers, they’ve been in years, hidden behind the factory grilles… sound good fed from Qobuz!

As for the news about my friend, that’s going to take a very long time to get used to, I’ll never get over it as such, he was too big a part of my life, my soulmate. I’m starting to be able to function normally again now though, albeit I feel tired all the time (but then I’m never not busy lately, 12 hours of meetings, venue recces, risk assessments etc ahead of events today alone! Tomorrow is PAT testing day… long day for a sound engineer, I’d put a lot of this kind of work off when Brent died and now I’m playing catch up.

My condolences.

We all get over things in time, just try to remember that if things get you down there are always people out there that can help.

We lost our 13-year old dog recently due to heart disease. Not exactly the same as a person passing away but the emotional feelings are the same, so I sympathise with how you feel.

Give it time.

My condolences.

We all get over things in time, just try to remember that if things get you down there are always people out there that can help.

We lost our 13-year old dog recently due to heart disease. Not exactly the same as a person passing away but the emotional feelings are the same, so I sympathise with how you feel.

Give it time.
Sorry to hear this, a dog is a very well loved member of the family. I think we’re more prepared to lose them, but it still breaks your heart.

advertisement

Back