advertisement

Linn Radikal 2

A quieter motor (better motor, better motor drive circuit) plus better motor isolation = less vibration into the playback loop. That's less vibration and a more constant drive into the belt and less vibration transferred up through the springs and tonearm cable. The undulations being measured in the groove are so infinitesimally small that even small reductions in vibration of the playback system should allow quite a bit more information to be read by the stylus as it tracks the groove undulations more accurately and spends less time bouncing around.

For the mountain bikers, I imagine Amaury Pierron descending over a rock garden, with his tyres as the stylus trying to measure the undulations of the ground beneath them :D

So, it’s not the rad at all, it’s the PSU for the phono stage? Interesting.

I don't have a Urika and am experiencing the same things as everyone else is reporting. It really is a huge improvement, night and day, I heard it from the first few bars I played there was more detail, ambience, space everything, just brilliant, all I can say is you have to experience it to appreciate it.

I am sure those who have Urika will be getting even more from this.

I'm always very cautious when it comes to evaluating any upgrades, and a few days' listening in my own system, including "The Wife Test" (yes, it's very effective - SWMBO has zero interest in my hi-fi) is generally the only way for me. Not so easily done with improvements to the Old Fruit Box, however, so I took a punt on the upgrade, knowing I could always get a refund if I didn't like it. It's so easy to get carried away by other folks' enthusiasms, so when it came to the Karousel I was doubly sceptical. However, I was really taken aback by the uplift in sound quality this gave. Based on this, I'm now seriously contemplating going for the new Radikal 2, which should also give an uplift to the Urika.

Tony, I find when everyone is saying similar things about an upgrade it is usually genuine. My LP12 has, over the last 12 months or so has been elevated to a completely new level, just by Karousel and Radikal 2 upgrade. You liked Karousel you will love Radikal 2 it's even bigger, by I feel a large margin.

I'm guessing most, if not all, of the Radikal 2 reports are from people that also have Karousel. I wonder if Cirkus bearing noise could almost swamp motor noise, rendering motor upgrades less apparent? It might be that, having fitted the Karousel, smaller benefits become more noticeable as they are no longer masked by the noise of the bearing.

For the mountain bikers, I imagine Amaury Pierron descending over a rock garden, with his tyres as the stylus trying to measure the undulations of the ground beneath them :D

[/QUOTE]

It's usually my arse measuring the rock garden, especially when I land on it, but my skill level is non existent. These professionals are great to watch.

It's usually my arse measuring the rock garden, especially when I land on it, but my skill level is non existent. These professionals are great to watch.[/QUOTE]
Brilliant and an interesting analogy. Bad tracking can sound quite exciting, edge of your pants.

Had two major revelations with records this week, pros and cons of hitchhiking and Phantasmagoria.

Both now make sense in a way that astonished me.

I don’t think of my record player in monetary terms, but rather for the amount of enjoyment I get spinning records. I appreciate not everyone would consider this spec of deck sensible, but it is certainly very good indeed.

It's usually my arse measuring the rock garden, especially when I land on it, but my skill level is non existent. These professionals are great to watch.[/QUOTE]

Could any of the more knowledgeable cycling types explain what the the pedals are for.

Bill

advertisement

Back