advertisement

Linn Radikal 2

Congrats! I'm always a bit surprised at how much these upgrades change things. This time, for me, it's completely opened out the bottom end of things (ooer missus). I wonder if the Radikal 2 has also radically (sic) changed the power supply to the Urika. Comparing the two circuit boards, there's a completely different smatter of components, and a much bigger FPGA.

I haven't listened to my digital source for a couple of weeks now!

Congrats! I'm always a bit surprised at how much these upgrades change things. This time, for me, it's completely opened out the bottom end of things (ooer missus). I wonder if the Radikal 2 has also radically (sic) changed the power supply to the Urika. Comparing the two circuit boards, there's a completely different smatter of components, and a much bigger FPGA.

I haven't listened to my digital source for a couple of weeks now!

Hi Nero. I can't comment on the Urika as I don't use it. I think I read somewhere the supply rails are different, though I may be wrong. For me this is massive, it's changed everything, the best upgrade I have made in a long time if not ever. All my records sound different, for the better I must add. I have been glued to it all day, it being heavy rain has kept me in and off the bike, but great to get to know the improvements on many records. I am seriously wondering if the 11 year old motor was wearing out it certainly seems/sounds that way or is it just so much better? One example I Played Rage Against The Machine earlier, I was shocked at the difference, all the extra that came through it just wasn't like that before, and the aggression was palpable, just amazing.

Another thing, Linn have often been accused of neglecting their customers, but sound per pound this is tops, and is supporting existing customers, yes expensive but I wouldn't have bought another full radikal so a win win.

I thought I wouldn't go on but as an aside I have noticed surface noise, meaning clicks and pops, are much reduced, some of my records are in a sh1t state through being old and neglected, I can't be messed with cleaning life is to short, besides the ones I have had professionally cleaned never seemed much better, a very strange thing to happen from a power supply change though?

I heard it against a new radikal 1 and the difference was of a similar order to the Karousel.

My theory is that it’s been tuned to the rotational friction of the Karousel hence the jaw dropping improvements.

I heard it against a new radikal 1 and the difference was of a similar order to the Karousel.

My theory is that it’s been tuned to the rotational friction of the Karousel hence the jaw dropping improvements.

Yep David, jaw dropping is an excellent description. Have you got yours yet? To me it's bigger than Karousel but as you say its probably both working in harmony, which reminds me harmonies are just another thing that are greatly improved.

My dealer is very busy in the run up to Christmas and there are a dozen ahead of me in the queue so I’m not chuntering or nagging them. But very much looking forward to getting mine!

Impressive reviews here! I thought the Karousel was a huge improvement so if this is similar league it should be amazing. I only have a measly Lingo 4 :D so imagine what my ears might hear!

Then there's the price...... how much is a Radikal 2?

Hi ex brickie. I think a Rad 2 standard case is £4250. The upgrade was £1750 fitted. The upgrade is a new motor, PCB for the Radikal box and a speed sensor under the outer platter.

All of these great reviews are getting annoying -- I already committed to an Aro Keel and Karousel to be installed this spring and am trying to hold the line on spending any more dough!

I agree @joe9407 - I was the same having splashed out on a Lingo 4, Karousel and Javelin arm! I thought the Lingo 4 would be the dogs wotsits (and it was certainly much better than my Lingo 2) but clearly not!!

yeah, you guys are killing me. My LP-12 hasn't been touched since the late 90s. And I have 2 kids in college. Maybe in 3 years I can do some upgrades.

So, is Radikal better than Technics SL-1200G? I'll fetch my coat ...

James, nothing is better than the 1200G.According to some anyway.

Great to hear it makes such a difference. But for the likes of us who don’t have a Radikal already (if I really wanted one I could of coirse), over £4k buys a lot of new records.

If the Karousel has different rotational friction to older bearings - presumably older power supplies / motors would have struggled with that?

Presumably it is a problem if more OR less - if not matched to the drive system. I'm reminded of the DPS turntable that deliberately used increased bearing friction with high torque drive - to good effect. Faster speed adjustment / lower noise of the new motor are probably more likely?

advertisement

Back