advertisement

Linn Radikal 2

What exactly is the spec of your record player?
Cirkused LP12 with black Ittok LVII / Audio Origami phono cable and TPA Tranquility bearing support. As mentioned above a Mosed Herc2 PSU.

Back in the day the Lingo was supposed to be a step up from the Valhalla - I'd have thought a Lingo 4 might be a good value step up if there are lots going Radikal.

Cirkused LP12 with black Ittok LVII / Audio Origami phono cable and TPA Tranquility bearing support. As mentioned above a Mosed Herc2 PSU.

Back in the day the Lingo was supposed to be a step up from the Valhalla - I'd have thought a Lingo 4 might be a good value step up if there are lots going Radikal.

A used Lingo 4 would cost you around £1.000.
An earlier Lingo would be less with a Lingo 1 around £500 and the others in between.

I have just upgraded from a Mose / Hercules to an External Zeus PSU. A good upgrade and very pleased with its performance. It features constant tracking of speed and fine sped adjustment on each Revolution of the platter, similar to a Lingo 4. It can also be connected to a laptop for fine tuning of various parameters via on board software.

Well Peter has worked his majik in transforming my antique spinner into a cutting edge Vinyl Source, with the aid of recycled Radikal, and shiny new Karousel, and Kore.

Huh? I thought "recycled" components were against the (Linn) law?

The Zeus PSU looks interesting, and good to know you find it is a bump over the Herc/Mose.

Yes it is a worthwhile upgrade indeed. Apart from all the extra features and speed accuracy, it starts up quicker than the Mose/Hercules and you don't feel you need to give it a helping hand on start up. It is extremely quiet, runs warm and not hot, the footprint of the external case is a little smaller than the Mose / Hercules too. It sounds very, very good indeed. The timing and flow of the music has improved, I find that the vocals seem a little more in the foreground and the bass and detail in the music shines through very well. To me, it offers a lot what the Lingo 4 offers in speed monitoring and fine tuning at a fraction of the cost. I went for the new external version as I prefer to keep the PSU off-board so that it keeps the main PSU electronics well away from the cartridge. The internal version is a cheaper option for those that may prefer that route.

Linn themselves sell a renew box for people who upgrade their Klimax ds.
It’s a pity they couldn’t have done the same for the Radikal upgrades. That said I think the power supply is retained for the upgraded Radikal so it probably wouldn’t be cost-effective.

I’m sure a Radikal 2 sounds superb but boy is it a lot of money for an upgrade.

I’d have to think long and hard before I sank £4k on one. Bearing in mine I could buy a brand new WT Versalex for less and have the added pleasure of a second turntable!

So had the Radikal upgrade for a few days now and it’s just clicked. A bit like the Karousel it’s better from the get go but takes a little bedding in before it reveals all it’s got.

Because I also use a Urika it’s a double whammy as the power supply is obviously quieter and cleaner.

The improvements in timing and rhythm are obvious and fundamental and would have a Linn Salesman’s foot in apoplectic spasm.

I think the most startling revelations have been vocals, both lead and backing are explicitly better.

It’s a serious bit of kit and I challenge anyone to take a listen and fail to be impressed.

So had the Radikal upgrade for a few days now and it’s just clicked. A bit like the Karousel it’s better from the get go but takes a little bedding in before it reveals all it’s got.

Because I also use a Urika it’s a double whammy as the power supply is obviously quieter and cleaner.

The improvements in timing and rhythm are obvious and fundamental and would have a Linn Salesman’s foot in apoplectic spasm.

I think the most startling revelations have been vocals, both lead and backing are explicitly better.

It’s a serious bit of kit and I challenge anyone to take a listen and fail to be impressed.

If I was spending upwards of a four figure sum on a power supply I would more than expect to be impressed.
I paid £500 for my Lingo/1 in 1990, a fortune for me back then but it's still doing sterling service.
The salesman who sold it be me almost put his foot through the floorboards ....:)

Hypothetical question, how much more incremental improvement can be dragged from the LP12. It does feel a little like a parody at times. I have an LP12 btw.

Does make you wonder what Linn would do if they were starting with a clean sheet of paper.

its a good question! I think the answer is as long as cash can be made from improvements, Linn will find a way to wring more out of it.

Whats surprising is the size of the latest upgrade, it really is huge!

Thanks to you guys for writing your impression of the Radikal 2. I have to say I'm surprised. I'm thinking about a Radikal 2 later in the year as a possibility, but as I've said before, I'd be surprised if they could improve much over the Radikal 1. Surely once the speed is roughly correct, wow and flutter is reduced to more or less inaudible levels, motor noise is pretty low and there's enough torque to overcome most needle drag there's not much ground left to gain?

It seems natural to expect that the curve of progress towards a finite goal (for arguments sake, say replicating the reproduction quality of a master tape) would be asymptotic. That is, the nearer one gets towards that goal, the more the curve flattens and the more difficult it becomes to make further progress. At some point, to make any noticeable improvement ought to cost £100,000 and require ten years of research...

It could be that rather than following a curve, the course that the LP12 has taken is more of a zig-zag....? It could also be that the "euphonic colouration" (or whatever it is that we like about vinyl replay) can be improved in different directions and doesn't have such a hard limit as "the sound of the master tape".

I'm honestly of the opinion that the Radikal2 is somewhat of a watershed moment for the LP12.

Its a bigger improvement than the Karousel, and id say theres a bigger difference between Radikal 1 & 2 than there is between Lingo1 and Lingo 4.

I well remember that first review of the original Lingo in 1990 in HiFi Review magazine by Chris Frankland, saying it had taken the LP12 to a whole new level.
Wonder if 32 years on us punters would have believed the amount of “improvements” that Linn have produced in that time?
Also anyone know what are the approx percentages of new LP12 sales is against their market for all the upgrades they now produce?

advertisement

Back