advertisement

Linn LP12 power supply advice

Yeah, in the beginnings of CD era the DACs converted the bass faster than the rest, so it was out of rhythm, despite of several other problems like CDs from the early era were mastered wrong in terms of dynamics. But these times are over, a RM CD without loudness war played from a harddisk and external DAC will sound very very good, HD files sound much better than a €30.000 TT.
The problems started even earlier than that I’m afraid with the lasers involved. Red lasers are inherently unstable at the higher frequencies. Most female vocals In the early days of CD suffered from terrible sibilance. This was countered a little by Sansui moving to green lasers in the middle nineties. Today of course, black lasers are used throughout and the problem has now disappeared.

They just T’ing this up to justify the use of green felt tips on CDs ..... this thread does get better though, horseshit was probably the best summary....
Some clearly have systems so skewed that distortion and coloration at the source is needed to make it sound right!!!!
To think speed stability etc is the PSU only contribution cracks me up, there are bigger factors it’s responsible for....PSUs don’t sound different due to speed stability in my view, as they all will achieve an accurate speed.

....PSUs don’t sound different due to speed stability in my view, as they all will achieve an accurate speed.

I agree with that; it's not difficult to get a turntable to spin at the correct speed, but there are certainly differences in SQ though.

Immediately the stylus hit the groove, it was clear that with the AirPower, there was more space, better inner detail and the top was somehow smoother and less fizzy, without losing the shimmer on the cymbals and Stevie Nick’s voice had more expression.

It's just all round better in my opinion. I like the way it sounds more solid and three-dimensional and propels the rhythm better.

And the noise floor dropped, don’t forget that.
The word ‘air’ suggests a lot.

Yes, my Naim Armageddon used to spin records at 33.3334rpm and after I dropped it on the floor, at 33.33333332, which obviously was much better, way more air in the sound (the window was open). However, I went on to discover that sound quality improves when one stimulates an area of the brain known as Shatner’s Bassoon, which deals with audio processing. This can be achieved by liberally coating your WAV files (note, this DOES NOT WORK with ALAC and on NO ACCOUNT SHOULD BE ATTEMPTED) with Marmite.

At last, I got around to comparing the Norton AirPower to the Lingo 1 on the LP12/Kore/Audiomods Classic/metal bodied 103. The Norton came straight out of the box and was plonked unceremoniously on the adjacent desk, with no warm up.

Immediately the stylus hit the groove, it was clear that with the AirPower, there was more space, better inner detail and the top was somehow smoother and less fizzy, without losing the shimmer on the cymbals and Stevie Nick’s voice had more expression.

A bit of a PITA tbh, because I like the 45rpm facility of the Lingo. I do have other record players that can play 45’s, or if I can be bothered, I could run the two supplies side-by-side; we’ll see.

I used Fleetwood Mac’s – Dreams as the test piece, mostly because I had been using it to compare mats on the 401 downstairs, having listened to @flatpopely Tranquiliy test pieces here, which use the aforementioned track.

You can still play 45's with the Norton . The Norton cable will fit the Lingo whch means you can keep the lingo for 45's .
Biggest Hi Fi mistake I ever made was selling my Norton .

You can still play 45's with the Norton . The Norton cable will fit the Lingo whch means you can keep the lingo for 45's .
Biggest Hi Fi mistake I ever made was selling my Norton .

Yes, I have them both on the shelf, so that's most likely what I will do.

Hi wylton ,
I know mention of Power cables is a sure fire way of getting a thread moderated but I did get a big improvment with my Norton when I put a Powerline on it , never liked Powerline anywhere else in my system though . A Powerline lite might be worth a spin .

Lol! As it happens, I have a powerline lite plugged into the Norton. When I was rearranging the system upstairs to fit more ancillaries, I was left with the Powerline Lite not plugged into anything, so it got plugged into the Norton. I've not compared it to a standard lead tbh, but it's nicely engineered.

The only issue is, that the Norton is best left on permanently, because of the size of the transformer, there's a big inrush current. That leaves me no spare outlet on the mains block; another problem to solve!

advertisement

Back