Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Linn LP12 power supply advice

Discussion in 'audio' started by Ducatiist, Oct 15, 2020.

1. martin dawson

martin dawson pfm Member

Charlie_1 I don’t think the Ekos was around when I bought the Lingo 1.

Regards,

Martin

2. Charlie_1

Charlie_1 pfm Member

Should have been. Ekos was launched in '88 and Lingo in 1990

3. Charlie_1

Charlie_1 pfm Member

Do you happen to know how the Norton differs to the Geddon? I know a couple of folks prefer it.

4. wylton

wylton Naim and Mana member

I don't know the specifics tbh, but there is still information about the Norton AirPower here, and Leigh Norton does post here on pfm occasionally.

Charlie_1 likes this.
  5. joe9407

joe9407 actress/activist

yeah, @Vinny -- something seems off here. my ARO delivers the goods. and as we say here in NYC, "not for nuthin'", an LP12 with an ARO is a beautiful thing.

6. MartinC

MartinC pfm Member

The Airpower has two transformer windings (or transformers) to provide the two motor phases, one being lowet voltage than the other. The Geddon uses one with a dropper resistor to lower the voltage for one set of windings.

If you make a Geddon, play around with the phase chance cap value as the motor vibration can be reduced significantky with some tweaking.

7. Crimean

Crimean Active Member

Hello, I'm new here. But I'm reading here for several years. I want to build up my old LP12 (1989 made).

My 2 cents regarding PSU for the LP12:
    I had Valhalla, upgraded to Lingo1: Did not like it very much. Even after putting a DIY mains filter in front of the Lingo - this made a HUGE difference!
    Heard Armageddon vs Lingo - Lingo lost this very clearly. IMHO, if you go the Linn upgrade route after 1988 you will loose more and more the typical LP12 magic. Heard LP12/Cirkus/Lingo/Ittok/Dynavector 17 vs Systemdek IIX/OL OL1/Ortofon MC25FL - Systemdek was better! Why? Rhythm, flow was better and much better compatibility with different pressings. Many 80's pop/rock LPs hurting the ear on LP12 turned to real fun on the Systemdek.
    Now my LP12 runs with DIYgeddon, OL1, Shure Ultra 500 with Jico HE Stylus. Rhythm & flow is back with a bit more bass than the Systemdek. I have an Ekos1 but the OL1 sounds more neutral, the Ekos is just too much sounded for my taste. Besides that awfully & idiotic made bad bearings & many carts just dont fit - even more idiotic.... Shame that I sold my Ittok and paid so much for the stupid Ekos.

If you cant afford a LP12 and like the sound of the pre Lingo LP12 than you can buy safely a Thorens TD-2001, TD-125, TD-126, TD-160 (TD-160 must be modded to get there) or a Systemdek IIX and you will get very very close.

P.S.: I apologize for my bad English.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020 at 3:50 AM
    wylton, chartz and Mr Pig like this.
  8. Charlie_1

Charlie_1 pfm Member

Welcome Crimean,

I have a Valhalla and Lingo 1 deck, both with black liner bearing and setup by the same Linn dealer. Not heard a Systemdek but certainly the older Valhalla deck does something the Lingo doesn't and I would agree it's rhythm related. However, I'm really enjoying the Lingo 1 and what it can offer. I tried the Valhalla>Lingo 1 upgrade many years go but did it alongside a Cirkus upgrade and wasn't happy. Now, just doing Lingo alone, I'm really enjoying it. Maybe I'll like the Geddon even more - time will tell.

Good luck with your decks. Sounds like you've had fun exploring and are now enjoying the rewards.

9. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

Things always sound great, until you hear something better.

10. Mr Pig

Mr Pig ^'- -'^

Great post and your English is very good. I totally agree with you.

Pretty much all turntables stamp their own signature on the music. It can be a positive thing but it's never completely neutral. The LP12 adds its mark to the timing which seems to help some music and hurt others and I agree that it lost something as it got 'better'. Early Linns have a sway to their music few other decks match.

11. wylton

wylton Naim and Mana member

Yes! I too 'upgraded' from the Ittok to the Ekos; the biggest disappointment of all time! I spent days shifting stuff around, trying to get the thing to sound good, to no avail. Eventually, it went back and I swapped it for an Aro.

It’s all too easy to go around the houses with the Linn and lose where you are, that’s why I decided to get it back to Linn stock condition, LP12/Cirkus/Kore/Lingo 1/solid base, to see/hear where I am before I change anything else.

12. Crimean

Crimean Active Member

Thanks Charlie for your kind words.

I think its a matter of taste:
    Lingo = More detail, a bit faster, a bit more open in the upper mid to highs region, voices sound clearer, tighter bass, takes away some of the Linn upper-bass sound.
    Armageddon = More bass and body, better dynamics, voices sound bigger, pronounced rhythm and drive. A bit darker overall. Better compatibility with different pressings/era.

Maybe Lingo is more suited for symphonic music cos better see-through.
    On Jazz/Rock/Pop/Funk the Armageddon steals the show.

My feelings about Armageddon: "Can't get rid of that funk" (forget the name of the song and the writer of the lyrics).

13. Crimean

Crimean Active Member

Yeah.

After all the countless decks/tonearms/cartridges I heard and bought my "wise" advice:

Systemdek IIX
    Rega RB-250 or Origin Live tonearm
    Shure M95 and above or AT (all above AT-95) cartridge

and you have a wonderful real fun deck with silky highs, ultimate compatibility regarding pressings and foot tapping rhythm.

To put it in more colored words: This combo stomping the rhythm like a hot locomotive driving through the Russian revolution.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020 at 7:54 PM
  14. Crimean

Crimean Active Member

BTW, the worst decks IMHO:

All Simon Yorke TTs and Platine Verdier.
    Yuck!

15. Crimean

Crimean Active Member

Welcome to the club wylton. Ekos, Kaber and the integrated amp were really bad jokes from Linn.

16. Charlie_1

Charlie_1 pfm Member

:):)
    The Geddon does sound promising. I plan keep both decks (in different systems) so there doesn't need to be a winner as such.

I mostly listen to pop/rock/soul/funk. Playing Mr Wonder at some point today and the Lingo (along with CB amps / Briks) was certainly very funky, coherent and instruments well synchronised. It can't be far off the Valhalla, whilst cleaning up the sound a lot in the process. But if the Geddon is even funkier then that suits me just fine :)

17. Crimean

Crimean Active Member

Heard LP12/Lingo/Ittok/cart (cant remember maybe K18) vs Thorens TD-3001 (modded)/Naim Aro/Ortofon VMS20:

Thorens/Aro more effortless and smoother but LP12/Ittok offered more soundstage depth. I give LP12/Ittok combo a very narrow advantage cos stage depth is important for me.

18. Charlie_1

Charlie_1 pfm Member

I'd wondered about the Platine Verdier - not that I can afford one. What were the weaknesses you heard?

19. Crimean

Crimean Active Member

After I've listened to Narada Michael Walden on my LP12/DIYgeddon I just can't go back to the rather colorless/diminished dynamics, bass & body of the Lingo.

[​IMG]

Sorry for my French but this is pure FFF! (f*ckin funky fun) ;)

Charlie_1 likes this.
  20. James

James Lord of the Erg\o/s

The ARO and 'Geddon are meant to go together on an LP12. Seriously funktastic, especially with the sub-chassis sorted with a Keel or Greenstreet Klone.

MartinC likes this.