advertisement

Linn LP12: Best starting point?

Cymbiosis will sort you nicely. You can also rest assured that the Ittok will play nicely etc.

And since you actually actively wish to stay on the upgrade path, they will also part exchange you Lingo, Cirkus etc. in the future.

That’s exactly my thinking. Starting with Cirkus means I can at least experience what it’s like before proceeding to Karousel, which is only going to make me more informed to help others in the same predicament. Equally, I might find a well setup pre-Cirkus later down the line so I can see how that compares. The only bug bear with my current decision is that I live 3+ hours away from Cymbiosis, but I hear he’s the best in the business, so worth the travel in the end!

. The only bug bear with my current decision is that I live 3+ hours away from Cymbiosis, but I hear he’s the best in the business, so worth the travel in the end!

You'd think :)

3Pic-1-505x379.jpg

3 hours? Many of us are not so lucky.

Personally I'd take Valhala Electronics Minos over Lingo 3 (i did upgrade from Hercules to Lingo 1) and Karousel over Cirkus (the upgrade i did recently), but I understand your point.

That’s exactly my thinking. Starting with Cirkus means I can at least experience what it’s like before proceeding to Karousel, which is only going to make me more informed to help others in the same predicament. Equally, I might find a well setup pre-Cirkus later down the line so I can see how that compares. The only bug bear with my current decision is that I live 3+ hours away from Cymbiosis, but I hear he’s the best in the business, so worth the travel in the end!

That’s a long drive. Worth it to ditch the springs as a first upgrade which allows you to be in a better position to work on upgrading the deck yourself. Next, I would look into replacing the original Cirkus kit subchassis.

Let the OP enjoy his TT for while.

How effective is the Trampolin, BTW? My wall shelf is tarting to offend me aesthetically & I’d like to sit my TT on a normal piece of furniture.

In my mind the more you upgrade an LP12 the further away it gets from what made it good to begin with.

A pretty basic early one with a unipivot arm of your choice is a very nice thing, it seems the upgrades are chasing the criticisms aimed at it over the years when compared with decks it often gets pitted against which isn't particularly fair IMO as comparing it with things like a Technics or a Rega seems daft.

I believe we have settled on a budget of around £2,500 - for that, I will apparently end up with something that’s better than today’s Magik LP12 (even with Karousel). Peter said it would, in fact, be closer to that of an Akurate / Selekt spec. The setup we’re aiming for is Cirkus / Ittok / Lingo 3, with an Audio Technica MM.

Personally, I would get the Minos instead of the Lingo3 and the money saved an RB3000 instead of the Ittok. The Ittok was the best tonearm Linn could get made in Japan forty years ago. The RB3000 is the best arm Rega can make today. It's a much more even handed and sophisticated sounding arm. The reason Linn arms are favored so much is that most LP12s ship with a Linn geometry sub-chassis and arm-board so the bulk of the used decks dealers have can take a Linn arm dropping straight in. The Ittok is a good arm and looks fantastic but I would not buy one today. Fitting the Rega is more hassle but it's worth it.

Cartridges are fine tuning and AT carts are solid start. I've used AT carts most of my life, both MM and MC, but today I'm using a Rega Exact.

advertisement

Back