advertisement

Linn LP12: Best starting point?

Personally, I would get the Minos instead of the Lingo3 and the money saved an RB3000 instead of the Ittok. The Ittok was the best tonearm Linn could get made in Japan forty years ago. The RB3000 is the best arm Rega can make today. It's a much more even handed and sophisticated sounding arm. The reason Linn arms are favored so much is that most LP12s ship with a Linn geometry sub-chassis and arm-board so the bulk of the used decks dealers have can take a Linn arm dropping straight in. The Ittok is a good arm and looks fantastic but I would not buy one today. Fitting the Rega is more hassle but it's worth it.

Do the Rega tonearms require a different sub-chassis or just a different armboard?

homepage_slide_4_3-1500x400.jpg
And not a single fluted plinth. That won't do for @Tony L!

Do the Rega tonearms require a different sub-chassis or just a different armboard?

In case of modern sub-chassis ("Majik", Kore, Keel) that would be a whole different sub-chassis, in case of old sub-chassis (Cirkus and prior), only the armboard.

In my mind the more you upgrade an LP12 the further away it gets from what made it good to begin with

I do love to see people 'living in the past' - interesting to see how something which has been described as 'coloured' many times over the years be something to hang on to or desire. YMMV.

Best starting point - a streamer????:rolleyes:

Regards

Richard

I do love to see people 'living in the past' - interesting to see how something which has been described as 'coloured' many times over the years be something to hang on to or desire. YMMV.

Regards

Richard

Perhaps your missing the big picture, the upgrades that have come along over the years in an attempt to quell those colorations you mention have come at the cost of reducing the most basic characteristic of the LP12 that so many had latched on to which was the fundamental grasp and transference of the tune to the listener that the early decks built their reputation on.

Regards

Richard

What I don't get is why someone would buy an LP12 then modify it to death trying to get it sounding something closer to another deck. Just buy another bloody deck to start with!

There are 2 in the first pic.

There were probably a few new fluted plinths when Chris Harban was still in LP12 plinth business.
Linn still supply a fluted plinth though to me it looks wrong without the black skirt on the bottom portion of the plinth.

klimax-lp12_reusable-module.png

It depends.

On older decks you just had to replace the arm-board. When they introduced the Magik sub-chassis that meant that all of their factory LP12s had dedicated Linn-specific sub-chassis so fitting a different arm requires replacing both the sub-chassis and arm-board. Or just the sub-chassis if it's a single piece alloy one.

Unless you go for the non-Linn option from new it's expensive to make the switch later. It's why old Ittok and Ekos arms sell for so much as people with entry level LP12s want a simple arm upgrade without the cost and agro of rebuilding the whole deck. Linn dealers are awash with Linn arms and Linn-fit arm-boards and sub-chassis so that's what you'll get offered. Most people want that anyway as they assume the deck will work best that way. Keeping it all Linn feels like the safe way to go and of course dealers will reinforce that idea. It's a shame because Linn arms are poor value and you can do a lot better. I've had all the Linn arms except the Ekos and I have no desire to own own one again.

Linn still supply a fluted plinth though to me it looks wrong without the black skirt on the bottom portion of the plinth.

klimax-lp12_reusable-module.png
My plinth is very like that one, fluted walnut. I think the plinths look better without the black skirt. I also prefer non-fluted plinths but I'm not unhappy with this one. What I really don't like is the mad colours they do now. A purple or white LP12 just looks wrong.

Perhaps your missing the big picture, the upgrades that have come along over the years in an attempt to quell those colorations you mention have come at the cost of reducing the most basic characteristic of the LP12 that so many had latched on to

I don't believe I'm missing the bigger picture. I had an LP12 from 1986 through to 2021. The upgraded one I sold in 2021 was most definitely sonically superior to the one I bought in 1986. If people want to hang on to a particular 'sound' then fine BUT as the various upgrades have shown there always were areas for improvement as indeed the many critics of the deck have always maintained. Securing an armboard with screws is hardly the epitome of engineering design on any level.

I remain intrigued that vinyl still has the following it does. I understand there are recordings in that format that are unlikely to be replicated elsewhere but to continue to manufacture new vinyl...................

Regards

Richard

I 've had all the Linn arms except the Ekos and I have no desire to own own one again.
Of course you did. All Akitos, all Ittoks, Pro-Jekt made Majik ones, Jelko Majik one ,Krane, Arko, and all the rest except for Ekos, Ekos 2 and Ekos SE?

My plinth is very like that one, fluted walnut. I think the plinths look better without the black skirt. I also prefer non-fluted plinths but I'm not unhappy with this one. What I really don't like is the mad colours they do now. A purple or white LP12 just looks wrong.
Everyone knows the best sounding plinth is Black Ash, unfluted of course.

However, the classic look is fluted Afro.

Of course you did. All Akitos, all Ittoks, Pro-Jekt made Majik ones, Jelko Majik one ,Krane, Arko, and all the rest

All what 'rest'? But you are right, I've not had the newer arms, I was forgetting about those. The Majik arm is just an old Jelco design which was quite common back in the day, I've had those. I've had Pro-Ject arms but I've never put one on an LP12. I've only had the cheap to mid ones and they're not very great.

I've used Rega arms on LP12s for years, I have an RB3000 and RB303 on them just now. The newer Rega arms are really good. To me the RB3000 strikes the perfect balance between the grip and drive of the Ittok and fluidity and poise of the Aro.

To me the RB3000 strikes the perfect balance between the grip and drive of the Ittok and fluidity and poise of the Aro.

A bit disappointed at that, I would have hoped RB880 would "strike the perfect balance between the grip and drive of the Ittok and fluidity and poise of the Aro"
and RB3000 would just bring the best of both worlds to the table.

I think the black skirt and flutes look dated. The flutes are very much a seventies styling device. You'd see them on everything; furniture, televisions.
IMG_4061.jpg
That's a piece of art!

I think Linn got something very right with the afro fluted plinths. The plain plinths look boxy to me. I prefer the old armboard logo too.

I think the black skirt and flutes look dated. The flutes are very much a seventies styling device. You'd see them on everything; furniture, televisions.

The flutes and black skirt are the only identifiable features of the LP12. Take them away and you just have another AR-XA/TD150-160 clone. It is a struggle tell it apart from a modern Project or Thorens of that design school. The modern plinths are nice, look very well made etc, but they lack any visual identity or character.

advertisement

Back