advertisement

Linn Cirkus upgrade

The Karousel is certainly a better bearing. But you can't use it with your existing subchassis - you need a Cirkus or later (Magik, Kore or Keel).

I did a fair bit of experimenting with the Cirkus bearing back in the day - I found just upgrading the sub-chasis to the stiffer Cirkus version and leaving the bearing gave a good result, assuming you like the warmer bouncy sound of pre-Cirk. Ultimately it's as much about the rest of the deck and what you're going for - a pre-Cirkus with Ittok and Valhalla ps can absolutely sing, a Cirkus with Ekos and an early Lingo can sound quite dead. For a cleaner sound, Cirkus (or Karousel) is a must tho.

... a pre-Cirkus with Ittok and Valhalla ps can absolutely sing, a Cirkus with Ekos and an early Lingo can sound quite dead.

I think the LP12 can produce a range of sonic signatures wide enough that it's fair to question if they can all be bunched under the one umbrella. You can legitimately like one type of LP12 and not another.

I do feel sorry for anyone trying to navigate this minefield that is the LP12 family of turntables.

I did a fair bit of experimenting with the Cirkus bearing back in the day - I found just upgrading the sub-chasis to the stiffer Cirkus version and leaving the bearing gave a good result, assuming you like the warmer bouncy sound of pre-Cirk. Ultimately it's as much about the rest of the deck and what you're going for - a pre-Cirkus with Ittok and Valhalla ps can absolutely sing, a Cirkus with Ekos and an early Lingo can sound quite dead. For a cleaner sound, Cirkus (or Karousel) is a must tho.
I found the Cirkus bearing needed a better subchassis than the stock steel one that was included in the upgrade kit.

a pre-Cirkus with Ittok and Valhalla ps can absolutely sing, a Cirkus with Ekos and an early Lingo can sound quite dead. For a cleaner sound, Cirkus (or Karousel) is a must tho.
I use a late 80s Valhalla/Ittok deck and a '91-spec Lingo1/Ekos2 deck, both with black liner bearing. For me, each has its own set of strengths and weaknesses. In fact, I'd say that about any era of LP12 so they've all been a mix of compromises, albeit consistently heading in the same direction towards greater clarity and tunefulness. I know the vast majority of owners don't hear a downside to LP12 developments but I feel it's lost a bit of rhythm and timing (between musicians) along the way so I'm happy frozen in time. It's cheaper too :)

I see more used Cirkus bearings for sale than the subchassis, which makes me wonder that most LP12 owners upgrade the bearing but still retain the Cirkus subchassis.

I see more used Cirkus bearings for sale than the subchassis, which makes me wonder that most LP12 owners upgrade the bearing but still retain the Cirkus subchassis.
That's because the Karousel upgrade does not come with a sub chassis, so the owners need to retain the Cirkus sub unless they go for a Keel around the same time.

I've had all the bearings ,the first one is the least musical of all and makes you want to stand clear of the Linn when your system grows (listen to other makes and very performing systems to get what I mean),then came the cirkus which helped music have real sense ,finally the latest Karousel which is fantastic.
Same with subchassis ,pre cirkus and cirkus were very poor ,ringing like a bell and didn't really warrant any more upgrades , later majik made sense and in conjunction with the cirkus bearing a very good starting point. But it's the Kore at least I'd match with the latest bearing as I've experienced. I wonder I had bought the Kore first I would have been delighted with the cirkus and saved money and frettling,it didn't go that way, nevermind, it's sonic bliss now!

I've had quite a few flavours of Sondek over the years including Radikal / Keel setups. I currently have the Lingo 4 / Kore / Cirkus on a second system and I'd have to say it sounds really cracking, about as enjoyable as any setup I've had. As I said it's about how all the bits fit together. I personally think adding a Keel to a deck with any Linn ps other than a Lingo 4 or Radikal makes it sound worse, even than the standard steel and plywood sub.

One of the best features of the LP12 is the open platform and modular nature of its design and construction. Originally it was even available without a plinth if I recall correctly.

I’ve heard and owned almost every variant with all sorts of 3rd party parts and also completely stock Linn ones.

IMHE there is an LP12 that can be constructed for almost everyone’s taste and budget. Personally, the 1980’s variants are the most groovy.

I've had all the bearings ,the first one is the least musical of all and makes you want to stand clear of the Linn when your system grows (listen to other makes and very performing systems to get what I mean),then came the cirkus which helped music have real sense ,finally the latest Karousel which is fantastic.
Same with subchassis ,pre cirkus and cirkus were very poor ,ringing like a bell and didn't really warrant any more upgrades , later majik made sense and in conjunction with the cirkus bearing a very good starting point. But it's the Kore at least I'd match with the latest bearing as I've experienced. I wonder I had bought the Kore first I would have been delighted with the cirkus and saved money and frettling,it didn't go that way, nevermind, it's sonic bliss now!

You do know that the Keel rings like a bell as well.

advertisement

Back