advertisement

Linn Cirkus upgrade

stooge

pfm Member
I have a late 80's LP12 and I am considering buying a used Cirkus bearing, inner platter and sub-chassis.

Can someone here please confirm that my original outer platter will fit the Cirkus inner platter?

Thanks
Jim

You don't need another inner platter anyway, just the bearing and a compatible sub-chassis.

Matching of bearing and platter is baloney.

Definitely get the set your are looking at. You need the double thickness bearing mounting area on the Cirkus subchassis and it's better to get the newer inner platter than hope it will work OK with your old one (it may, or it may not).

Some early LP12s (late 70s and early 80s) has outer platters that were a very tight fit on the Cirkus inner platter but by the late 80s, they had sorted this out.

I've just had a Karousel fitted, so if you've not already sourced a Cirkus, I'm your man.

You don't need another inner platter anyway, just the bearing and a compatible sub-chassis.

Matching of bearing and platter is baloney.
Oh, I thought the Cirkus inner had a longer spindle, is that my old age kicking in?

Chilly, yup its old age

They might not be pair matched when new, but id certainly want a matched used one so the wear marks on spindle and thrust pad match.

With s/h prices falling for cirkus kits, it’s a good time to buy. You can just about get the bearing off and swap without taking out the sub chassis.

Oh, I thought the Cirkus inner had a longer spindle?

No, where you might be getting confused is that the bearing housing is taller. There is less of a gap between the housing and the underside of the sub-platter.

All the talk of the merits or otherwise of the two bearings typically misses the most important thing. Wear. The slightly more substantial Cirkus bearing housing, because that's all the Cirkus is, counts for absolutely nothing if the bearing is worn. It is a good time to buy a Cirkus as there will be lots of very young ones for sale. I remember when the Cirkus came out. My local dealer ended up with so many pre-Cirkus bearings they just threw them out. Tragic, but that's dealers for you.

Most second-hand Cirkus kits for sale have the inner platter, springs and a bearing housing. Did they come with an improved subchassis as well? Can we fit the Cirkus bearing housing in a pre-Cirkus subchassis?

Most second-hand Cirkus kits for sale have the inner platter, springs and a bearing housing. Did they come with an improved subchassis as well? Can we fit the Cirkus bearing housing in a pre-Cirkus subchassis?
No they did not. Yes, you should be able to.

Some people still prefer the black pre-Cirkus bearing as they find it more fluid and more fruity in the bass - less mechanical

To most Linnites this is heresy though........

I good friend of mine who is an LP12 expert thought the Cirkus a backward step.

I had a Cirkussed LP12 for a while and thought it was by far the worst of the three that I owned down the years.

Just my three pence worth

Did they come with an improved subchassis as well? Can we fit the Cirkus bearing housing in a pre-Cirkus subchassis?

The Cirkus kit was:

Bearing housing.
Three bearing housing fixing bolts.
Inner platter.
Cirkus sub chassis.
Three springs.
Top and bottom grommets.
Earth strap.

Probably oil in there, I can't remember.

The pre-Cirkus sub-chassis had a cut-out in the brace which the bearing went through so it only bolted to one thickness of steel. The Cirkus sub-chassis doesn't have this.

Also included were 2 new belts. With the latest bearing I don't think you get a belt with it which seems rather odd.

advertisement

Back