advertisement

Linn Cirkus upgrade

My father started without a plinth. It was replacing a Garrard 401 which was in a large cabinet with a space alongside for his tape deck and a hinged section on the front which held the Leak Stereo 30 and Stereofetic Tuner. I suppose the cabinet was designed to hold the pre-amp in the hinged section with the power amp(s) in the base.

I suppose the cabinet was designed to hold the pre-amp in the hinged section with the power amp(s) in the base.

The stereo used to be furniture. My first stereo was a hand me down radiogram, as they were called. Small sideboard with a radio and volume knob on the front and the record player inside, under the lid. Very advanced, you could make your own play-lists vie the auto-changer spindle on the record player. And of course, it was valve powered.

FYI as an alternative. I have a similar period LP12 i.e. just pre-Cirkus. I recently fitted a Tiger Paw Tranquillity (bought from Chris Dolan upgrading to a Karousel) and have been pleasantly surprised at the difference it’s made.

The tranquility is magnectic and produces an upwards force on the platter, so "lightens" it by virtue of reducing friction on the thrust plate at the bottom of the bearing.
There is another effect that I can't get my head around and despite searching, can't find any useful explanation online. Because lines of magnetic flux are repeatedly made and broken as the platter rotates, that takes extra force/energy - that is simple and inescapable physics - tha gets nowt for nowt in this world, also an inescapable fact of life and physics.

There were a very few that appeared for sale around £200 when the new bearing arrived, but there were rather few, and I missed them, but would like to try one, even though I now use a Hyperspace in preference to my LP12.

If it made 10% the difference of the move from a felt mat to using tiny pieces of sorbothane to support the record, I'd be more than well impressed.

advertisement

Back