advertisement

Life without the off topic room

On another forum I use/moderate we have a private members only section which is
a) not crawlable bu google bots, so
B) not visible on the web and then
C) not visible by non invited members..

Depending how things go pfm’s off topic may soon go the same way and only be visible to pfm Members (i.e. >3 months, >50 posts). This due to recent internet copyright legislation that suggests even linking to news articles may carry a “tax” and quoting passages could get the site into real financial trouble. I don’t want to do this, but I will do at the very first sign of other forums getting hit in this way. The music room may be at some risk, but I can disable all YouTube videos in one hit very easily, which would likely solve that issue.

Obviously hiding rooms is a bad move as it reduces google indexing and therefore site traffic, but the internet is going through some very unwelcome changes at present with national governments thinking they can meddle in what should be an open global space.

It was called MO on our forum Tony and it worked incredibly well. It enhanced the whole experience tbh and drove up thread numbers in other areas too.

The stuff that goes on in there is fascinating, it’s made me some very good friends too.

Oooh ... Rugs of the Dark Web ?

Steve,

That rug really tied the off-topic room together?

Joe

The stuff that goes on in there is fascinating, it’s made me some very good friends too.

So that's the dark web...

It's certainly always amused me that on a hifi forum there are folks who you rarely see other than talking politics in the off topic area....

yes , absolutely love the off topic thread . what an amazing bunch on PFM with so many varied and interesting views

One can never have too many cable threads....

Imagine our MP's debating cables.... in fact no it's probably better to not even imagine that... some would insist they must always lay to the far right and the DUP would probably want to hang witches with them...

Reactions: Cav
Delete it forever. I only dip in to laff at the politic saddos

edit:

Jeez! I forgot about all the petrol head ****a's

Just shows what a small world I inhabit.

Delete it forever. I only dip in to laff at the politic saddos

edit:

Jeez! I forgot about all the petrol head ****a's

Just shows what a small world I inhabit.

I was about to go out and get something called a "life" but after reading your comment please take my place in the queue.

I came to this forum based on a google hit on speakers I was rebuilding. But mostly you all discuss kit other than the USA thrift store finds I play the hi-fi game with. (The speakers are an exception). Found the political stuff here is quite high quality compared to the run of the web, so that keeps me around.

yes , absolutely love the off topic thread . what an amazing bunch on PFM with so many varied and interesting views

From memory, I only joined to get some info on saving the drive units on an old set of Mission 700s, but discovered the Off-topic forum and have hung around because of it ever since.
You are a fairly eclectic and knowledgeable lot - even if a tad over-opinionated at times. Be a bit on the dull side if it were any other way mind you :)

what an amazing bunch on PFM with so many varied and interesting views
Yes, but let's mention here again that a little more tolerance for contributors of the moderate right would be very welcome. Some members ought to understand that sometimes you need to mix the cowboys and the indians in order to make things work.

advertisement

Back