advertisement

Life without the off topic room

avole

The wise never post on Internet forums
Off topic stimulates, amuses, angers, informs, provokes rage, makes you lose sleep, ultimately drives you mad, very similar to TM's Brexit. What would we do without it if it disappeared for good one day?

I'm not talking about the instant depression we would all feel, but what else, if anything would give us a chance to express, and contain, our passions? Could we move on, and, if so, to what?

Clearly, the priesthood is an option for some, environmental warrior is another, running for parliament, becoming an aid worker and so on. So, what would you do?

Me, I'm going for neocon eligibility, as that implies I'll become rich and powerful too. If that doesn't go so well, a Buddhist Monk.

It would send me back to the HiFi room where I can participate in equally silly discussions, but that feels sort of passé.

I'd just vibrate into another dimension... or maybe I'd stay around and mingle with actual people here in the corporeal realm. Mmm, decisions, decisions, decisions...

All forums with a General Discussion/Off Topic section will always be like this, it has been for the 20 years or more that I've been using them.

Imagine going into a pub, and instead of just hearing the views of your close group of friends you heard every single voice in the pub, then multiply it by 10 and you get GD/OT forum sections.

I simply can't imagine life without Off Topic, in particular life without a Brexit thread in it somewhere. But if I had to, I guess I'd throw myself into my work, partly for distraction, but mostly to catch up on where I'd have been with it by now if it weren't for OT.

If off topic went I’d vote to bring it back. If no one wanted it I’d vote to bring it back again. I’d keep doing this until me, Tony and the entire PFM community were insane. Not like Brexit at all.

On another forum I use/moderate we have a private members only section which is
a) not crawlable bu google bots, so
B) not visible on the web and then
C) not visible by non invited members..

The stuff that goes on in there is fascinating, it’s made me some very good friends too.

advertisement

Back