advertisement

Lenco L70 project

I just watched the program on BBC 4 about the late great Humphrey Lyttelton and there was some old footage of him at his home using an early light grey Lenco L70 just like mine!

Tony.

LOL, I've never noticed that, it's clearly an L70 arm. Obviously an arm capable of reproducing all three chords.

Tony.

I've bought a Goldring Lenco L75 and some birch plywood recently for a plith project. Just waiting for a new batch of PTP3 top plate to be made to start and it now appears the fabulous Lenco-Lovers forum is no more. Kaput. Rumour has it someone pulled the plug on it and i can't access the helpful data/build project/FAQ for reference.:(

From google's cached page, it looks like it was there on Sat 24th Jan - so hopefully it's just a temporary blip and it will be back soon.

I don't know why, but it does look like the plug has been deliberately pulled on Lenco-Lovers which is a real shame given the amount of effort everyone went to in order to make such a useful resource. There is a new forum 'Lenco Heaven' here: http://lenco.proboards.com/index.cgi which appears to be trying to rebuild much of the info.

Tony.

That sucks. LL was rather unique in the vast amount of useful info and helpfulness. It seemed relatively troll-free as well.

Agree.
I just got on to LL recently after hearing about it on this forum. The place had a good vibe and the DIY/Plith making, Show Off sections were inspiring enough for me to contemplate some DIY project of my own. A real pity. I don't know the story behind the demise but i hope some data has been saved and can be uploaded to the new site.

I don't know why, but it does look like the plug has been deliberately pulled on Lenco-Lovers which is a real shame given the amount of effort everyone went to in order to make such a useful resource. There is a new forum 'Lenco Heaven' here: http://lenco.proboards.com/index.cgi which appears to be trying to rebuild much of the info.

Tony.

Just joined up there and a few familiar names are there. Hopefully more of the useful data/reference from LL will be reloaded there.

Is the original Lenco L75 plinth worthwhile? Having seen this rather tasty japanese set up (ortofon arm & SPU?) I am wondering about getting hold of an original plinth and reviving my own GL75 project.

img20090208133237781.jpg

img20090208130108765.jpg

His site is full of wonders should you like the whole japanese McIntosh/JBL/Jazz cafe approach.

Jim

Jimbo
if you can get a original plinth they are certainly worthwhile , my 59 in metal original plinth easily outshines my 70 in Neil hollow plinth

worth a go in my opinion

I've bought a Goldring Lenco L75 ... and it now appears the fabulous Lenco-Lovers forum is no more. ..... and i can't access the helpful data/build project/FAQ for reference.:(

You can still access the info by clicking on Google's cached pages - link just after the page URL. It's a slow and tedious process, but the threads and pics are still cached, and good enough to "save as" on your HDD.

Hopefully the gems here will be cross-loaded to the new site.

Cheers

Jon

Mildly ironic that the new board is called 'Lenco Heaven' - the 'Lenco Lovers' board was set up as a protest against the policies applied by the administrator of the original 'Lenco Heaven' board. Could this be history repeating itself?

Cheers
Adrian

A GL69! It's one of the 'light platter' Lenco variations with a pressed platter rather than the heavy casting of the L70, 75 etc. I suspect that one is late 60s. I've never compared one against a heavy Lenco so no idea on sound.

Tony.

PS Lenco Heaven has moved again, now here: www.lencoheaven.net

What do you recommend I do before putting any effort in plinths / arms etc. It has the strobe centre mat, how do I use it?

Is there anything I need to check on the mechanism, wheel wear and oil etc before doing anything at all?

Cheers Tony,

Brian

I'd give it a complete strip, thorough clean and relube myself, e.g. main bearing, idler, motor etc. At this point I'd have linked to the wonderful step by step picture tutorials on Lenco Lovers, but they no longer exist so I can't. Why not join up on the new www.LencoHeaven.net forum and introduce yourself and your new Lenco, they need to get this information back into play so will probably welcome the opportunity to talk you through it. It's all easy stuff, the Lencos are by far the easiest of the idler decks to work on IMO.

Tony.

Good plan. They might just tell me to strt with a 75 though, but that would only be a good thing if honest advice.

I will report more listening tonight, when it isnt sitting on the floor between the speakers!

Thanks.

advertisement

Back