advertisement

Lawn Mowers

Go Electric I'd suggest. Ego power are the business for a petrol power equivalent, Self drive and a good 45 mins minimum usage time. Lesser electrics can struggle with longer wetter grass if you have any. Cobra and Stihl also very good indeed, with Cobra being best VFM. Recharge takes no time at all (lunch break only) and maintenance in minimal.

I like Honda, i had a small Izzy years back but the steel deck was a rust bucket. My ex hand mower was a Toro. No complaints at all. proper machine.

Go Electric I'd suggest. Ego power are the business for a petrol power equivalent, Self drive and a good 45 mins minimum usage time. Lesser electrics can struggle with longer wetter grass if you have any. Cobra and Stihl also very good indeed, with Cobra being best VFM. Recharge takes no time at all (lunch break only) and maintenance in minimal.

I like Honda, i had a small Izzy years back but the steel deck was a rust bucket. My ex hand mower was a Toro. No complaints at all. proper machine.

Funnily enough, my neighbour asked to borrow my mower a couple of weeks ago. His 12 month old electric Cobra stopped working. The battery is taking charge but when installed, nothing. Calls to Cobra and the retailer are yielding little success. Not happy.

Same with classic cars. Just not worth the risk of E10. For the amount of fuel that most of us use in petrol mowers, the extra cost is minimal over a year.
Does 5% really make that much difference? Or have I just been lucky?

The amount of petrol I get through in garden equipment is pretty shocking, as I have a large garden.
Running my car on E10 and my mower on Super Unleaded (E5) just seems wrong to me. šŸ˜‰

Another vote for Ego here. After 35 years of faffing about and fettling petrol cylinder mowers I went over to a Battery powered Ego 3 years ago. Been a game changer. Sharpen the blade twice a year and it still runs for 45 minutes on a full charge. Great machine.

Funnily enough, my neighbour asked to borrow my mower a couple of weeks ago. His 12 month old electric Cobra stopped working. The battery is taking charge but when installed, nothing. Calls to Cobra and the retailer are yielding little success. Not happy.
Why I bought mine from a dealer who I know and am friends with
key to happy gardening. have a friendly and good local dealer:)

Does 5% really make that much difference? Or have I just been lucky?

The amount of petrol I get through in garden equipment is pretty shocking, as I have a large garden.
Running my car on E10 and my mower on Super Unleaded (E5) just seems wrong to me. šŸ˜‰
There are unknowns.

E5 can be 0% ethanol, E10 could be 10%.

If you go for a battery mower, I found it's better go with a bigger battery if there's an option.

My 40v Greenworks came with a 2aH battery but when I added a garden blower/vac I bought a 4aH battery to give reasonable run times. The mower performance is much better with the 4aH battery, which makes sense as the current delivery is potentially doubled.

There are unknowns.

E5 can be 0% ethanol, E10 could be 10%.
Here in France, and according to Total Energies, standard unleaded (SP95) can contain up to 7.5% ethanol, where as E10 obviously can contain up to 10%. I donā€™t think I will go out of my way to track down the SP95.

The guys who last serviced my 20-year old Honda sit-on mower, who run a large agricultural machinery business, warned me off E10. You'll probably get away with it for a while, but the ethanol will adversely affect the seals in the fuel system on older machines.

When the mower was a few years old, I took the trouble to clean and Waxoyl the underside of the cutting deck. No signs of rust so far.

I bought this just almost a year ago and have been mightily impressed. Hyundai ran out of the manual start model so sold me an electric start for almost the same price (I think it was just over Ā£300 from memory).
Really mossy grass after a couple of years of neglect due to ill health and this just ploughs through it. The mulch option is so good I havenā€™t used the basket for the clippings yet which is great as I had a huge amount of hedge clippings to dispose off. Ordered by 2pm and it arrived the following day at lunchtime.

Donā€™t bother with petrol, go electric, preferably cordless.

Loads of good options out there. Itā€™s just for cutting grass.

Good morning all,

We use these:-

xyPOrJI.jpg

Regards

Richard
They aren't doing a very good job. Either that or you have the cut height set too high.

I bought this just almost a year ago and have been mightily impressed. Hyundai ran out of the manual start model so sold me an electric start for almost the same price (I think it was just over Ā£300 from memory).
Really mossy grass after a couple of years of neglect due to ill health and this just ploughs through it. The mulch option is so good I havenā€™t used the basket for the clippings yet which is great as I had a huge amount of hedge clippings to dispose off. Ordered by 2pm and it arrived the following day at lunchtime.

Second vote for Hyundai. I recently bought a used 18ā€ electric start one from eBay. Spares are all readily available and I easily serviced it. As mentioned the mulch function works brilliantly.

advertisement

Back