advertisement

Lawn Mowers

Perhaps more so than with most things in life, you get what you pay for in lawnmowers. There are just so many (insanely) cheap rotaries that do a faultless job for several years, and then fall to bits.

As for the decks - pressed steel - stamp a blank from a roll of steel, place in press, whack, job done, although it will be painted/coated. Cast aluminium or moulded plastic, both way more expensive options.

our old rotary went up in smoke.

Really the fault of the actual engine???? More likely a fuel leak that reached something hot. I have the occasional fire when the grass has had lots of light dry stems in it that fly everwhere and get stuck behind, usually, the exhaust.

Good morning all,

We use these:-

xyPOrJI.jpg

Regards

Richard

Here's mine again. The Greenworks 40V battery system works well. I also have a 20 year old Mountfield rotary with a Briggs Quantum.

52188079099_f9209ac3dc_c.jpg

Fuel is a very good point. Yes, you can use Aspen, but I use super unleaded E5 with added fuel stabiliser in the mower and all 2 stroke stuff. Never had gummed up carbs over winter, the mower started 2nd pull this year on last years fuel left in the tank. Do not use standard E10 unleaded.

Fuel is a very good point. Yes, you can use Aspen, but I use super unleaded E5 with added fuel stabiliser in the mower and all 2 stroke stuff. Never had gummed up carbs over winter, the mower started 2nd pull this year on last years fuel left in the tank. Do not use standard E10 unleaded.
I use E10 in my Kawasaki powered ride-on, my Toro recycler mower, my Kawasaki backpack brush cutter, my Echo “normal” brushcutter and my Stihl leaf blower.

The mowers are over 15 years old, and I have never had a problem.
What exactly is the problem with E10?

I use E10 in my Kawasaki powered ride-on, my Toro recycler mower, my Kawasaki backpack brush cutter, my Echo “normal” brushcutter and my Stihl leaf blower.

The mowers are over 15 years old, and I have never had a problem.
What exactly is the problem with E10?

The first of many articles appearing on a search of the topic.

Same with classic cars. Just not worth the risk of E10. For the amount of fuel that most of us use in petrol mowers, the extra cost is minimal over a year.

we bought a flymo battery one a while back for a smallish lawn , its ok but not blown away . much prefer our Honda HRG petrol which is brilliant and will last for years . we also bought a honda izy for the vicarage 18 inch which many contractors use

I have a self propelled Mountfield SP470. Briggs and Stratton engine. Always used E10 fuel. No issues so far.

Bought about 14 years ago I think.

Still running to this day and utterly reliable. There's rust now on the casing, but that's because I've never really maintained it, other than an oil change 2 years ago.

Powerful and easy to height control.

Stihl makes some decent garden equipment for a reasonable price. Mountfield went down the toilet pan some years ago. Hayter go for a hefty premium much like Honda. A nice range here:

Petrol:

Cordless:

Stiga owns the Mountfield brand, Hayter, too, I think.

I've just bought a Stiga battery electric mower for the garden, and keep two Aldi petrol mowers for the verges, where the mower takes a real battering. The Aldis last 4 or 5 years before falling to pieces. Traffic and moles constantly deposit sizeable stones on the verge which are impossible to avoid.

I'm quite pleased with the little Stiga. I've only had it 6 weeks or so, but it cuts well and the battery lasts 30 minutes or more, long enough for me to do all the garden. It's full of complicated shapes and grass paths; a corded mower would be a nightmare. The Stiga's much lighter, more manoeuvrable and more environmentally friendly than a petrol mower. Register it, and it has a 5 year guarantee; it'll probably see me out.

I got one of these in the spring, so not had a lot of use but seems good so far. It is certainly well put together. It needed a breather now and again when the grass was very long, but now, after a few cuts, it copes fine. I stopped using the petrol mower years ago when we decided to get a gardener (so much easier, but he's gone now) and when we pulled the old mower out of the shed after about 10 years of non-use, the thing was a rusting wreck so it was put on local freebies and went in not time.

At the time of using the petrol mower it was a PITA as I was driving mainly deisel cars, however it appears now that you can buy "proper" lawnmower fuel (apparently they are not keen on E10). My local filling station only sells E5 so I'd have been good (ditched the deisels), but I still figured electric+battery was the way to go with garden stuff and power tools generally.

Size-wise we are on a corner plot so the back garden is not big, but the front, if we got rid of all the grass, could park about six vehicles, so not huge, but undulating, and not having to push takes a lot of the effort out. The battery is still over half full after doing front and back.
Yes E5 everytime.

I have a self propelled Mountfield SP470. Briggs and Stratton engine. Always used E10 fuel. No issues so far.

Bought about 14 years ago I think.

Still running to this day and utterly reliable. There's rust now on the casing, but that's because I've never really maintained it, other than an oil change 2 years ago.

Powerful and easy to height control.
As far s i know e10 fuel was only introduced in 2021

advertisement

Back