advertisement

Labour Leader: Keir Starmer V

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sir Keir is the slow, dull tortoise. Now six points ahead https://twitter.com/johnestevens/status/1459279370393161728

FEBVY9OXEAEbAkF

Encouraging to see the Tories’ grip on 40% of the electorate loosen, but probably not great if Labour take this is an affirmation of their Offer Nothing and Wait strategy.

Shows what can be done if our fearless independent media release all (or even some) of the scandals they've known about for years, and don't let the matter drop.

Best seen as disciplining the Tories at this point but, if Starmer remains utterly craven, they might let Labour tidy up the wreckage for a few years.

Labour attacking the Conservatives’ dangerous/likely illegal channel refugee policing policy from the right (BBC)! Seriously, WTAF?!

…though it is on the BBC website if you scroll down far enough. First two paras are revealing!

Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer has begun a reshuffle of his top team.

The reorganisation of shadow ministers began just as the party's deputy leader Angela Rayner was giving a speech about ministers' conduct.

But when asked about the reshuffle, Ms Rayner said she "didn't know the details", adding: "I've been concentrating on the job.
"​

I read the BBC website article earlier today. It was basically [some person I’ve never heard of] possibly being replaced by [some other person I’ve never heard of].

It is covered on BBC News at 6.00.

Labour leadership announces cabinet reshuffle and doesn’t tell the Deputy Leader

Pure comedy gold

Aye, it's hard to get too excited about this:

https://labourlist.org/2021/11/shad...g-cat-smith-quits-frontbench-citing-concerns/

Key points for me are:

1. More friction netween Starmer and Rayner caused by the timing of the reshuffle.

2. Yvette Cooper to Shadow Home Sec - a solid, right-wing pick.

3. Cynical Blairite muppet Wes Streeting promoted to Shadow Health Sec.

4. Ed Milliband to focus on climate change - sounds positive but the aim is to prise him away from the Business shadow role and replace him with someone (even) more malleable.

The rest is fairly predictable and dull: shuffling a pack of interchangeable right-wing drones.

Cat Smith's wasn't sacked or shuffled but she resigned anyway. Her resignation letter is quite revealing:

https://twitter.com/CatSmithMP/status/1465287943669657600

The first reason given (wanting to see the whip restored to Corbyn for the sake of party unity) is good but will be of niche interest on this forum. The second reason (a lack of enthusiasm for proportional representation) is likely to be of more interest. I think it's the first time I've seen Starmer's lack of interest in PR mentioned by a credible source.

Yes, good to see at least one Labour MP recognises the core issue of PR.

I read somewhere the by now less famous Corbyn brother was thinking of standing as an independent, which would be highly amusing as it would massively damage the party he claims to care about. Bring it on! It will only add to the comedy, though now Piers is obviously the star turn. He’s got his own Xmas song (Metro)!

PS I wonder if he’s got his eye on the £12-15k payout or whatever it is you get for contesting and losing a previously held seat. The disgraced and ejected sexter/expenses fiddler Danczuk did the same thing here when Labour parachuted Tony Lloyd in.

Yes, good to see at least one Labour MP recognises the core issue of PR.

a step in the right direction, but I guess it will need at least one more election defeat before Labour MPs as a whole realise the importance of the issue. In the mean time the country is set to decline ever further.

It is covered on BBC News at 6.00.

Labour leadership announces cabinet reshuffle and doesn’t tell the Deputy Leader

Pure comedy gold

Omg. So they manage finally to get the worst government ever lined up for some heavy blows.... But then Mr Starmer gives the media another stick to beat himself instead. Brilliant. Just f'n brilliant. :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back