advertisement

Labour at it again ..... anti-semitic just won't go away !

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is true of many here. pfm seems very different to the conventional audio forum in that each room is in many ways its own ecosystem. Some folk live almost exclusively in either the music room, photo, diy, classic or wherever, and some only seem interested in the political threads here in off topic. I have no real objection to that at all, though feel I better understand a person’s perspective if I also understand their musical taste, attitude to audio etc too. I am on occasion a little suspicious when people post some pretty extreme political views without any apparent interest in the rest of the site, but I don’t think that is the case in this case.

FWIW I’ve always steered clear from banning political discussion outright the way so many audio and music forums do even though I am certain running it actually puts a lot of people off joining. I’ve always viewed music as being inherently political, e.g. it is impossible to consider blues, jazz, folk, punk, reggae etc without their political background as protest music, and you can pull a lot of classical into that too (e.g. Shostakovich etc). That needs to be open for discussion.

I find the dynamic in this room quite interesting as I don’t really understand how we got to where we are! It just strikes me as a little odd given politics is far from the site’s primary focus. I guess politics is in such a hopeless mess and so polarised at present it is just a mirror to what is happening.
When I make my first mil, I'm getting these. And then I'll be talking shite in audio too, with some braying and gloating added to the mix. https://www.adam-audio.com/en/s-series/s5v/

If Corbyn is PM, the policy of the UK will be a blinded support of the Palestinians, maybe even support of terror organizations like the Hamas and the Hezbollah and support of the BDS.

Arye

I rather doubt that, but Corbyn certainly won't allow Israel to continue with its illegal activities without comment, as the current UK and US administrations do.

Of course, the elephant in the room here, which nobody has addressed, is the political, economic and military support Israel receives from the US. Without that, I suspect that Israel would be obliged to be rather more circumspect in its dealings with the rest of the World.

I rather doubt that, but Corbyn certainly won't allow Israel to continue with its illegal activities without comment, as the current UK and US administrations do.

Of course, the elephant in the room here, which nobody has addressed, is the political, economic and military support Israel receives from the US. Without that, I suspect that Israel would be obliged to be rather more circumspect in its dealings with the rest of the World.
And I think that if Iran stops giving weapon to Hamas and Hezbollah, Israel would not have a lot to do with the American weapon.

Arye

This is true of many here. pfm seems very different to the conventional audio forum in that each room is in many ways its own ecosystem. Some folk live almost exclusively in either the music room, photo, diy, classic or wherever, and some only seem interested in the political threads here in off topic. I have no real objection to that at all, though feel I better understand a person’s perspective if I also understand their musical taste, attitude to audio etc too. I am on occasion a little suspicious when people post some pretty extreme political views without any apparent interest in the rest of the site, but I don’t think that is the case in this case.

FWIW I’ve always steered clear from banning political discussion outright the way so many audio and music forums do even though I am certain running it actually puts a lot of people off joining. I’ve always viewed music as being inherently political, e.g. it is impossible to consider blues, jazz, folk, punk, reggae etc without their political background as protest music, and you can pull a lot of classical into that too (e.g. Shostakovich etc). That needs to be open for discussion.

I find the dynamic in this room quite interesting as I don’t really understand how we got to where we are! It just strikes me as a little odd given politics is far from the site’s primary focus. I guess politics is in such a hopeless mess and so polarised at present it is just a mirror to what is happening.

...and that is no surprise. Music is deeply political. Certainly most of mine is: Dylan, Young, CSN, Pistols, Clash, Fall, Marley, Van, REM, Waits and a lot more. Over 90% of the stuff I listen to comes from a liberal, left leaning and humanist perspective on life. I often muse on what our small cadre of right wingers and brexiteers actually listen to...and, incidentally that is probably why there are so few of them and some are just trolling for a laugh.

...and that is no surprise. Music is deeply political. Certainly most of mine is: Dylan, Young, CSN, Pistols, Clash, Fall, Marley, Van, REM, Waits and a lot more. Over 90% of the stuff I listen to comes from a liberal, left leaning and humanist perspective on life. I often muse on what our small cadre of right wingers and brexiteers actually listen to...and, incidentally that is probably why there are so few of them and some are just trolling for a laugh.

I’ve no idea how one could even frame a discussion on say Nina Simone, Gil Scott Heron, Joan Baez, Woody Guthrie, MC5, Billy Bragg etc etc without including the politics of the lyrics and the actions of the artists, yet some audio and music forums do have a blanket ban!

Even Hendrix, the act of him standing on stage fronting a white guitar rock band was political. Bloody Ohio FFS! Then go right back into 19th century folk and blues, it is just like a stick of rock and what consistently runs through it is a left leaning political perspective.

And yet ... when I was a lad, the music of choice for skinheads was ska, reggae, Tamla and soul. Their taste in music was unaffected by their racist views.

And yet ... when I was a lad, the music of choice for skinheads was ska, reggae, Tamla and soul. Their taste in music was unaffected by their racist views.

...and again that often changed people's views. A lot of skins changed heart when they realised the black guys were on their side. There was a camaraderie in chucking bricks at coppers under Thatcher.

The Dead, The Airplane, Dylan, Jackie Leven, R.E.M., The Clash, Television, Miles Davis, The Byrds, Randy Newman, The Fall, HMHB, Weather Report, and a shitload more.
And I am a proud Tory.
Chris

The Dead, The Airplane, Dylan, Jackie Leven, R.E.M., The Clash, Television, Miles Davis, The Byrds, Randy Newman, The Fall, HMHB, Weather Report, and a shitload more.
And I am a proud Tory.
Chris
Weird.

I mean the bit about being proud of your political persuasion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back