advertisement

Kit you regretted buying

Lastly had a perfectly lovely LP12 'cirkussed'. Cost me over £400 to make my Linn sound like my Naim CD player. Subsequently sold the LP12 and will buy another without a crap Cirkus.
I've resolutely stuck with my pre-Cirkus bearing on my 20 year old LP12 simply because it sounds completely sublime, so why change?

James

Absolutely!!! The pre cirkuss bearing is what makes the LP12 an LP12. Trouble is i listened to my dealer who said it was a huge upgrade..... well not in my opinion. If i wanted a turntable to sound like a CD player, i wouldn't need one as i've already got a CDS3. Cannot wait to get another LP12 pre cirkuss, in fact i might just sell all the new Naim stuff and buy back another 32.5/Hi/250 chrome bumper to use with vinyl again, that's when i used to adore listening to my system, now all i do is tolerate the harshness of most ****ing awful CD's. Times were much easier then.

If i wanted a turntable to sound like a CD player, i wouldn't need one as i've already got a CDS3 ... now all i do is tolerate the harshness of most ****ing awful CD's. Times were much easier then.
Does this mean you regret the purchase of a CDS3?

James

, now all i do is tolerate the harshness of most ****ing awful CD's.

So you're saying that, even with a hugely expensive CD player made by people who know what music should sound like, the majority of CD's sound worse than your LP's?

I'm not being facetious, BTW, just been contemplating what I'd have to do to achieve parity but perhaps that's just pissing in the wind?

In fairness the CDS3/555PS is the nicest CD player i have heard, and i did own a full 555 for a while, which is even better in most ways, but not all.. However in my opinion a well recorded LP through an LP12 or similar will always be preferrable.

My situation is that for 25 years i ignored everyone that said CD's were great and only bought vinyl, however 2 years ago i purchased my first CD player purely on the basis that i was fed up with missing out on so much music. Since then i have been through nearly all Naim's current crop of players from 5x onwards in an effort to get somewhere near the satisfaction that my vinyl player gave. Along the way with the CD players i have gone up the current Naim ladder in amplification also but am realising that i'm actually getting less pleasure in listening than i did with my chrome bumper Naim stuff with the LP12, and mostly but not all i think is down to CD itself, however i may point a small finger on the current Naim presentation in general. Having been devoted to the line since the early 80's i may have a re-think, even if that means trying some old school stuff again.

I'm not being facetious, BTW, just been contemplating what I'd have to do to achieve parity but perhaps that's just pissing in the wind?
Densen B-400XS. It's the only CD-P that I have owned that makes me happy to buy CDs without exhausting the possibility of a vinyl copy first. And I've had a fair few CD-Ps since the dawn of the CD age including, as you know, the venerable CDS2, CD2 and other unmentionables.

James

Exposure 3030:

Mentioned before. Layed the music bare , like performing an autopsy on a supermodel and photographing the results.

NAD 8225 PE :

From the 'Little fire starter' range. Unbelievably bad until it blew up, then got repaired.Then it was worse.

Sorry to see Credos ,Grado Signature Platinum , HD 600's listed . I have had outstanding results with Credos, and know how to treat a Grado to make it perform. Sweet when aligned properly.

HD 600s are my 'digital domain' listening on the PC, Cool Edit pro or Adobe Audition, with external Burr-Brown DAC.

Philips CD player - plastic, nasty unit. Might be the 150 by the sound of the last two posts. But you never see it now, it wouldn't have lasted.
I have a Philips CD150, and it's still in perfect working order. I found this thread/forum while Googling to see how old it was. 23 years of use is a pretty good return I'd say, even if it doesn't tick [m]any boxes on the audiophile wishlist. ;)

Mine are:

- Grado SR-80's - Thought I liked them at first but they are just not me - thank god for Ebay. Now own Sennheiser HD-650's and Audio Technica ATH-ANC7's.

- Musical Fidelity A3 integrated and even more foolishly the A3 Power to try and make it all sound better - thank god for tube amp friends who got me to build an amp as part of their project (I did bring all the ali cases and power and audio transformers back on the plane as hand / special baggage from Sweden).

- Monitor audio Silver 9i's - these were actually much better than the Mission 700's they replaced but not really brilliant enough.

- Expensive bi-amping speaker cables from Sevenoaks Hifi. TNT Ubyte sound much much much miles better.

Will I ever learn - yes from my mistakes:)

NAP90 a pair of Kans turned it into a box of smoke........useful case and chassis though
XPS2 big backward step compaired to the CDPS it replaced on my CDSII
Cambrige R50 TL speakers oh what a waist of money at the time 1975ish

The layout of the CDPS is much more similar to the 555PS than the XPS (1/2). Two transformers (instead of a seperate secondary even on the 555PS) for the digital/clock feed). True that the audio-transformer on the CDSPS was 'only' a Hicap grade one, but still.....

I did the CDSPS-XPS upgrade and found that the XPS(1) had a cooler, more clinical sound but a lower noise floor as compared to the CDSPS. Imagine what may happen if the CDSPS was gifted with larger transformers! And/Or (ahem) some choke-regulated power supplies!!! As a side bar, my XPS2 with over 120 Henries of choke regulation is by far the stonkiest, cleanest and most dynamic and transparent power supply by far I have ever tried.

NAP90 a pair of Kans turned it into a box of smoke........useful case and chassis though
XPS2 big backward step compaired to the CDPS it replaced on my CDSII
Cambrige R50 TL speakers oh what a waist of money at the time 1975ish

Corey,

It was not planned at all, but when I bought a SuperCap for a Nait 3R, I thought if anything is going to change, it had to be the 52.

I've heard the amp before, of course, but heard some variables amongst them.
A relatively recent vintage unit with a known history ( one owner ) from my dealer came up at the price that I can justify in case it doesn't work out ( so I figured it was low risk financially ), so I grabbed the opportunity.

I am relieved it worked out. It's a keeper.

p.s. Is the honeymoon with the Krell over yet?

Ok.

The 52 is now off my original list.
It's good.

Interesting, Kuma. I often wondered why you seemed to have a downer on the 52, which was one of my favourite Naim bits from previous systems. All we need now is that dealer to get you a decent Nait 2. :p. Provided you don't try to drive some nutty load like briks with it.

You might yet get another vote for being the next mod! :D

Steve

advertisement

Back