advertisement

Kit you regretted buying

2nd hand hifi is too tempting, so sometimes you get something that fails to meet expectations.

NAS Spacedeck. Didn't like it very much
Harbeth Compact 7 -same story...

That should teach you not to copy my system ;)

Tony.

Supra speaker cable: poor timing

I use some ancient Supra bluey grey coloured stuff which a friend gave me and despite tryng 10's of alternatives nothing is as good, except Chord reference @ £sillyprice and the Chord was maybe about 2% better.

Most regretted was a pair of Gale 401s whiich I lovingly restored. They sounded nowhere hear as good as a friend's pair in his system and I sold them for a loss (massive loss if I include my time).

My CA640P (and 840A, for that matter) went back to RS as well.

It's far too embarrasing to admit I swapped a pair of ES14s for aktive LInn Stinka's.

PMC FB1, the first version. Yuck. Only any use as a PA speaker

Plinius 8150 integrated, beyond boring despite the hype that surrounded it. I dunno what those guys from Stereophile are on...

Arcam Alpha 5 cd, dreary, put me off arcam spinners for life. Replaced it with a 2nd hand Naim CD3 and laughed my arse off

Audiolab 8000DAC: too tame

Supra speaker cable: poor timing

Agree on the Supra when I was using Harbeth HL5's - too things added together...

The 8000DAC needed a year to fully sort itself out and so did the transport they did for it - Phil Swifts own sample sounded superb and I was very underwhelmed when we got the set on dem. A customer bought it and traded it in a year later for the DAX with new transport and it was excellent...

Naim CDX2 - not least because it led to me spending a significant amount more (on Hi-Line, Fraim and XPS2) trying to fix the inherent harsh, unnatural presentation which was particularly annoying on vocals.

I hate to say it, but like Tony L, I really can't think of any Ford Edsels in my buying history. Everything seems to fit in just fine and perk up the sound. No skill I assure you, just dumb luck.

James,

This is embarrassing but here goes:
• Primare 20A/20D ( bought them strictly based on reviews. )
• Wilson W/P 5.2 ( the most expensive **** up. I don't know what I was thinking or not thinking was more like it)
• Jeff Rowland Design Model 112 amp ( worked at the dealer. But didn't at home )
• Art Audio DM/VPS Balanced version ( love the single ended version but a balanced version was a total waste of money )
• Shunyata King Cobra PC ( a poor way to tone down treble distortions )
• Sansui SR313 Turntable ( at least it looks the part )
• Bel Canto Evo 6 (a premature Class D effort )
• Naim NAC 52. ( the jury is still out on this one. If it doesn't make it, it would be my first Naim kit that didn't make a cut )
• Many footers, cables, racks and CD *enhancement* widgets. ( all are bought blind so more misses than hits)
• WATTGATE 381 and PC Audio outlets ( what do you know. Electrical outlets make sonic difference. For worse, however. )
• Headamp Gilmore ( liked the original small version. Surely I thought that the beefier separate power supply would improve things. Not. )
• Custom valve headamp (a lovely door stop now )
• Channel Island DAC and PSU ( it was cheap )

Addendum:
Dynavector XX2 mk. II.
Musical Fidelity X-cans ( no amount of tube rolling helped this amp from a permanent coma )

NAC112
Flatcap II
Stageline MM
NAP150 3x

Paid 5K € for that bunch of crap & it took me half of that sum to bring my isobarik from a bored smile to "on song".

Kuma, that almost sounds like a blue chip investment portfolio. If only, huh?

James

James,

This is embarrassing but here goes:
• Primare 20A/20D ( bought them strictly based on reviews. )
• Wilson W/P 5.2 ( the most expensive **** up. I don't know what I was thinking or not thinking was more like it)
• Jeff Rowland Design Model 112 amp ( worked at the dealer. But didn't at home )
• Art Audio DM/VPS Balanced version ( love the single ended version but a balanced version was a total waste of money )
• Shunyata King Cobra PC ( a poor way to tone down treble distortions )
• Sansui SR313 Turntable ( at least it looks the part )
• Bel Canto Evo 6 (a premature Class D effort )
• Naim NAC 52. ( the jury is still out on this one. If it doesn't make it, it would be my first Naim kit that didn't make a cut )
• Many footers, cables, racks and CD *enhancement* widgets. ( all are bought blind so more misses than hits)
• WATTGATE 381 and PC Audio outlets ( what do you know. Electrical outlets make sonic difference. For worse, however. )
• Headamp Gilmore ( liked the original small version. Surely I thought that the beefier separate power supply would improve things. Not. )
• Custom valve headamp (a lovely door stop now )
• Channel Island DAC and PSU ( it was cheap )

Kuma,

Has dD been contacted for a consult on the 52?

regards,

dave

Bought a Chinese DAC as a present to myself this Xmas and it did jack s**t to the sound. Burned it in for several days but did absolutly nothing on both my NAD 521 BEE and a friends MF CDP's. Luckily I managed to get my money back.

Mike

nos dac - that lasted about 2 weeks before I sold it...
musical fidelity x-80 - crap...didn't even compare to my nad c350...
myryad pre / power combo - bags of power but some recordings sounded sooo flat (i.e. paul weller live 'days of speed' and an air cd)

After careful consideration, I'm going to add a pair of Wilson Benesch Act 1's... This pair had the early Tactic drivers and looked gorgeous, but the sound was monotonic - thin and sharp with a one note drone for bass - every recording sounded the same.

These early WB's really need a fruity LP source and huge slow class A power amps feeding them.

I think i can add few components:

1. Non os dac - you get what you pay for
2. Benchmark DAC1 - all those great reviews, but overdetailed lean sound. At the begining i was fascinated, but after few days irritated...
3. Gainclone - again all those reviews. I built it my self using best parts, buying special Black Gate caps (100GBP!), lost a LOT of time trying to get this gainclown to play music.

Dynaudio contour 1.3se - I found the mid-range was far too recessed for my taste.
Chord Anthem - Another big waste of money.

Having had good experiences with my original Cyrus 1, I 'upgraded' to a Cyrus 8. Having failed to learn my lesson, I added PSXR and eventually SmartPower. Sold the lot, got a Glasshoue TVC / WAD6550 combo and never looked back. I still like the Cyrus 1 though.

I bought an 8Vs without listening to one from ebay. How could it not be good given the reviews? It was egregiously poor. Worse than the cheapo 10 year old Rotel amp I had in my studio system. Bloated incoherent sound and so much crosstalk that I could listen to the radio on the CD input!!! I borrowed one from a dealer to see if mine was faulty but nope- it's just a bad bit of kit.
Still, I sold it for £100 more than I paid for it 2 weeks later! And the bought a 72/140 for the same money. Much better.

Ben

I had one of these in my youth ...

pll1000.jpg

... so I didn't really know any better. The novelty was so overwhelming, I don't remember hearing anything musically memorable from it. I'm not sure if that constitutes a regretful purchase. Sadly, it didn't survive its emigration to the Antipodes. The AR EB-101 with Rega RB300 that replaced it was stunning in comparison.

James

advertisement

Back