advertisement

Kit that, irrationally, you’ve always just wanted…

JBL Everest DD67000. I won't ever be able to afford them, so I can't have them. But I want them...
Ah yes, I forgot these; JBL Paragons. Never heard, or even seen any, couldn't accommodate or afford them, but I still want them.
jbl-p-3.JPG

Spica TC-50s
The 'dipole-woofers-plus-ESLs' stack that Noel Keywood put together in the 90's for HFWorld
A Lowther mono setup.
Any speaker with a 'gas-emitting' tweeter unit.
'Disaster Area's' touring rig.

I am reluctant to post this desire as I can recall very little about it. Some 30 years or more ago I saw an amp made by some Japanese zen master in a hi-fi magazine that consisted of a valve that looked about a foot high and 4-5 inches wide**. The transformers as I recall were each wound from some 7 kilos of pure silver wire. They were mono blocks and I seem to think that the price even then was well into five figures. I wish I could remember more...perhaps someone on here can better recall them ?

It was a lottery winners dream back then for me but as this is a fantasy wish list I would like to give them a go.

** My very faulty memory has it that the valves very either something from some very esoteric radio welding field or some rare radar application .

Nytech CA 252.

I was interested in NYTECH in the 80's but went with A&R A60 (planing to go active) as I couldn't get a dem.

My journey went with EXPOSURE with active set-ups to this day but that NYTECH itch has born fruition especially with an excellent website support and spares.

https://www.nytechaudio.com/vintage-nytech-amplifiers/

Having missed out on the perfect combo here at PFM classifieds I have picked up a pair of CA 252 in not the best looking conditon and ordered link plugs from NYTECH.

My journey begins.

I am reluctant to post this desire as I can recall very little about it. Some 30 years or more ago I saw an amp made by some Japanese zen master in a hi-fi magazine that consisted of a valve that looked about a foot high and 4-5 inches wide**. The transformers as I recall were each wound from some 7 kilos of pure silver wire. They were mono blocks and I seem to think that the price even then was well into five figures. I wish I could remember more...perhaps someone on here can better recall them ?
** My very faulty memory has it that the valves very either something from some very esoteric radio welding field or some rare radar application .
Perhaps try a search on "X tube audio mono block" for X = 212E (also X = 4212 and maybe 212, 212D or 212A) to see if some image (such as this) corresponds to your memory. Maybe X = 211 too, but I think they are smaller than you describe. Be prepared for occasional six-figure sums, never mind five.

Reactions: Joe
On something slightly more accessible, if still a bit scarce, I'd love to get my mitts on a mint pair of original Sonus Faber Extrema with the six-pillar stands.

2887618-f6546341-sonus-faber-extrema-with-stands.jpg
After hearing a pair at the Heathrow show in the 90's I always wanted a pair and managed to buy a pair in 2009, they are great and I use them for CD replay and ar the L, R channels of my home cinema set up. The great thing about kit like this is it appreciates over time which is rare in Audio and unheard of in AV !

Braun LE-1 Electrostatics. Largely Quad ESL-57 Internals combined with timeless Dieter Rams / Braun looks. Would buy in a heartbeat if I had the space and the money

Braun_LE1_Speaker.jpg
The amazing thing about Ram's design here, is that it could have been done yesterday: it feels so current. Remember, 1959...

advertisement

Back