advertisement

Kit that, irrationally, you’ve always just wanted…

Therein lies the truth of reviews doesn't it!

If it had worked as well as they said the concept would have been widely copied and by the time CD players arrived on the market every major manufacturer would have had a laser TT range starting at £199.99.

We'd have all heard them at hifi shows and coo'd and aarr'ed.

Never happened - nuff said!

The tech certainly works, just not well enough!

We certainly live in a world where people would be prepared to pay the $16,000 asking price if it actually did what what the manufacturers say it does. It's even "cheap" relative to "proper" high end TT's. Techdas Airforce Zero anyone?

I have a bucket list that I have worked my way through, mainly speakers, top of the list to try are mission 770's ( original ) and spendor bc1. I know full well that I would never be satisfied with them in my main system but would love a wee shot. others that came and went were ls3/5a,esl57's rodgers export monitors, maggies, Bricks,epos es14's and more. I had to have an original musical fidelity the preamp which didn't last long, would love to try a koetsu and a syrinx pu2. I will get there eventually as I buy cheap and move on with little cost to myself.

Rgds
stuart
Currently using a PU3 and Koetsu. It's a great combination.

I had an irrational desire to own these and made the mistake of doing so:

IMG-4757.jpg

Inca Tech Claymore in Gold.. no different to the basic black, but it's Gold!! :)

Well it was, the PCB was also Gold Plated , the front was Brass then Nickel and Gold plated the lid was nickel and gold plated copper.
The passive parts where all better than 0.1% checked on a LCR bridge, the heatsink compound was a Silicone Diamond paste.
The Knobs were solid Brass the again nickel and gold plated.
And there was only 6 made, Paul Miller has one, there is 1 in Italy in a shop window in Milan.
There was 10 Nickel versions
2 Fur covered version black , 2 blue, 2 red, 1 camouflage green , 1 pink with Brian O'Rourke Decaflock covering.
The first batch was black gloss the rest had a gold ring silk screen and a rough texture lid.
1 Gold went to the USA and the climate was hot and damp and when it was touched by women it left finger print like the stainless steel cars did. (See Back to the Future)
Paul did a review a couple of years ago on the Gold Claymore he had since new but never used. (twit)

First shown at a show in Cannes France in the early 1980s.

Well it was, the PCB was also Gold Plated , the front was Brass then Nickel and Gold plated the lid was nickel and gold plated copper.
The passive parts where all better than 0.1% checked on a LCR bridge, the heatsink compound was a Silicone Diamond paste.
The Knobs were solid Brass the again nickel and gold plated.
And there was only 6 made, Paul Miller has one, there is 1 in Italy in a shop window in Milan.
There was 10 Nickel versions
2 Fur covered version black , 2 blue, 2 red, 1 camouflage green , 1 pink with Brian O'Rourke Decaflock covering.
The first batch was black gloss the rest had a gold ring silk screen and a rough texture lid.
1 Gold went to the USA and the climate was hot and damp and when it was touched by women it left finger print like the stainless steel cars did. (See Back to the Future)
Paul did a review a couple of years ago on the Gold Claymore he had since new but never used. (twit)

First shown at a show in Cannes France in the early 1980s.

Ooooooooo, thanks for that. Well i didn't know that (clearly), thank you. I have a black Claymore, a much cherished nickel one, plus the matching black tuner... now, who do i have to kill for a Gold one? ((apart from Paul Miller, of course)) :D

ELP laser turntable.

Liked the concept since it first appeared on Tomorrow's World in the 70's or 80's.

Unfortunately the SQ never lived up to the hype.

https://www.analogplanet.com/content/analog-corner-74

If it had actually worked we'd all have one and Linn, Michell, VPI, Rega, TW, Clearaudio, SME etc would all be out of business!

I heard one of them the other month when I went to dem a pair of Trichord D300 amplifiers. The guy who was selling the amps used to be the importer of the ELP laser turntable. He had one stored under the bed in the spare room so got it out to see if it still worked.

It sounded ok but it was on an unfamiliar system. You put the record in a tray, set the speed and it scanned the record for the gaps and you could skip tracks, pause it, ff etc. The records had to be scrupulously clean so you kind of had to wash them before use and not play them on a conventional turntable so they didn't get static. You could bang the side of it and it wouldn't skip a beat.

I think his main customers were wealthy people who wanted to buy something for someone they didn't have.

I think the company were hard to deal with but they are still going though if you did want one https://www.elpj.com/. They aren't the best looking but I don't think the company wanted to work on the appearance which didn't help.

OT

Yeah; a BX-150E.

Merely needs a dusting, a test, likely a belt kit and then -

Record/play relay likely needs to be replaced. Pots need in-depth cleaning.
The (only) correct new belt is FRSP6.5. Original belt may be good enough though, after serious cleaning.
You'll have to see if the reels are idler drive or gear. In case of the former you'll need a new idler tyre.

Control motor and reel motor will need the usual care. Otherwise they will cause problems.

Cheapest valid set of alignment tapes are these https://www.ebay.de/usr/hanspeterroth?_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2559, but if you prefer UK then these (better, also more expensive, and less functions) http://www.ant-audio.co.uk/index.php?cat=post&qry=alignment_tapes.

If the original Canon sendust head is gone (it happens, though rarely), you can use a Sankyo Seiki SS15RAA4 permalloy. This will require mods to the playback and record equalisers, but resultant quality is decent. This was the head used in the later Nak DR-8 and Tascam 112MkII.

Here is a BX-125 I recently worked on. It is nearly the same as a '150.

https://www.tapeheads.net/threads/nakamichi-bx-125-refurbished-belgium-eu.103918/

(Oh ... if you look closely, it has your name in it!!!)

OT again ...

Krell KSP-7B + KSA-80
Apogee Caliper Sig or Duetta Sig
Kii or Dutch&Dutch digital speakers
Nakamichi 1000ZXL
Technics SL-1000R

On something slightly more accessible, if still a bit scarce, I'd love to get my mitts on a mint pair of original Sonus Faber Extrema with the six-pillar stands.

2887618-f6546341-sonus-faber-extrema-with-stands.jpg

Yes! Heard these at Oxford Audio with an ARC/Krell pre-power in the early-mid 90’s, just amazing. Not as pretty as the other SF speakers, but somehow all the better for it

Beolab 5s, along with the Lecson preamp and an imaginary turntable: a B&O 8002 restyled to match the Lecson. I blame Gerry Anderson...

Yes! Heard these at Oxford Audio with an ARC/Krell pre-power in the early-mid 90’s, just amazing. Not as pretty as the other SF speakers, but somehow all the better for it
A friend of mine had a pair driven by top of the range Conrad Johnson mono blocks. Looked and sounded amazing but moving anything was a two man job and the electricity meter whirled round.

A friend of mine had a pair driven by top of the range Conrad Johnson mono blocks. Looked and sounded amazing but moving anything was a two man job and the electricity meter whirled round.

Any big class A amps will use alot of electricity, even when I had relatively small class A valve or SS integrated amps there was a noticeable change in the electricity consumption when they're switched on.

I fancy some of those valve amplifiers with the enormous valves poking out of the top - the ones that look like Lighthouse bulbs!

advertisement

Back