advertisement

Kit that, irrationally, you’ve always just wanted…

Beolab 5s, along with the Lecson preamp and an imaginary turntable: a B&O 8002 restyled to match the Lecson. I blame Gerry Anderson...

Cool!!!! A Lecson style turntable :) Probably could be done from a Rega with decent ease. I always thought of the Gale one as a 1970's iconic style TT.

I had an irrational desire to own these and made the mistake of doing so:

IMG-4757.jpg

Didn’t you like them? I always thought they were great.

On something slightly more accessible, if still a bit scarce, I'd love to get my mitts on a mint pair of original Sonus Faber Extrema with the six-pillar stands.

2887618-f6546341-sonus-faber-extrema-with-stands.jpg

Even if you could find a pair would it not be a concern to find replacement drivers if required?
It's one of the things that put me off buying older high end speakers and why I opted for a new pair.

One of the guys in Huddersfield had a pair of those SF driven by a brace of ksa100 mk1 and the similar vibtage 2 box krell pre.

Yes, that's right - an Amstrad Studio 100

While a student I worked holidays at the white/brown goods division of a huge dept. store. One day we got a 100 in. Mounted in on the display, tried to fire it up. Nothing worked. Opened the back. Most of the internal cabling was not plugged in.

For sheer WTF??? quality..
1206463-a88a2deb-yamaha-b6-pyramid-power-amplifier.jpg

Otherwise, I think they were dealer only, the Marantz PM4 in champagne finish with the purple instead of black heat sinks

Even if you could find a pair would it not be a concern to find replacement drivers if required?
It's one of the things that put me off buying older high end speakers and why I opted for a new pair.
It's always a bit of a gamble. As long as it looks, works and sounds OK at the time, then it'll be fine. Drivers tend to fail catastrophically, but most can be repaired. When I bought my Yamaha NS-1000Ms, they were nigh on 40 years old. I made sure all the drivers were operational and they sounded normal before I paid for them.

Didn’t you like them? I always thought they were great.
They weren't bad. The space they were in was far too big and acoustically horrid. They were far better than the B&Ws they replaced and not as good as the Neat MF9s that replaced them.

Ooooooooo, thanks for that. Well i didn't know that (clearly), thank you. I have a black Claymore, a much cherished nickel one, plus the matching black tuner... now, who do i have to kill for a Gold one? ((apart from Paul Miller, of course)) :D

The FMT tuner a nice thing, only 40 ever made.
The main module front end was supplied by Larsholts and I got them from Mike Creeks Dad at Ambit in Brentwood. (Mike Mini Weekend coming up soon at Westward Ho)
They can be retuned to go 75MHz to 150MHz the LCD meter was from a company called Lascar near Howard Popeck shop at Camden, up stairs.
On my DATA forum you can find all the circuit diagrams for all my audio,PSU and other designs including TQ cables all 35 types only a few being used at the moments.
And my patents for SSR, Cables TQ and EWA, MC stage, boat engine, SMPSU's, XRay generator, solar panel psu converter, sub 10Hz detectors and a few transmitters.
After my second stroke last Nov I am giving up eyes sight is now crap for small things and I am waiting for God. I hope he as a good set up so I can play Kraftwerk loud.:)

Oh somebody here mentioned A Class, in the early 1990 I did a 300W/Ch SECA design because a nice Yank said he had made the biggest in the world at 50W, well is was not a SECA design but a Push-Pull.
Dan Agostino thought when he saw them 1.8M high each at 180Kg 300Wthat they were speakers. Sadly the 300W's got smashed up for scrap but the few 20W and the 50W, 100W, and 200W are still about. T.O.C.A. Touch Of Class A a name thought up by Alan Elsdon when we made Dreadnought 200W and 300W bright Strontium Blue in Colour just after Relph pushed me out of A.C.Magnum, gosh sounds familiar :oops: ( I never learned then or latter people with out skills but greed will kill)

The FMT tuner a nice thing, only 40 ever made.
The main module front end was supplied by Larsholts and I got them from Mike Creeks Dad at Ambit in Brentwood. (Mike Mini Weekend coming up soon at Westward Ho)
They can be retuned to go 75MHz to 150MHz the LCD meter was from a company called Lascar near Howard Popeck shop at Camden, up stairs.
On my DATA forum you can find all the circuit diagrams for all my audio,PSU and other designs including TQ cables all 35 types only a few being used at the moments.
And my patents for SSR, Cables TQ and EWA, MC stage, boat engine, SMPSU's, XRay generator, solar panel psu converter, sub 10Hz detectors and a few transmitters.
After my second stroke last Nov I am giving up eyes sight is now crap for small things and I am waiting for God. I hope he as a good set up so I can play Kraftwerk loud.:)

Oh somebody here mentioned A Class, in the early 1990 I did a 300W/Ch SECA design because a nice Yank said he had made the biggest in the world at 50W, well is was not a SECA design but a Push-Pull.
Dan Agostino thought when he saw them 1.8M high each at 180Kg 300Wthat they were speakers. Sadly the 300W's got smashed up for scrap but the few 20W and the 50W, 100W, and 200W are still about. T.O.C.A. Touch Of Class A a name thought up by Alan Elsdon when we made Dreadnought 200W and 300W bright Strontium Blue in Colour just after Relph pushed me out of A.C.Magnum, gosh sounds familiar :oops: ( I never learned then or latter people with out skills but greed will kill)

You just reminded me, i missed out on a Dreadnought + Claymore pre recently, was definitely a 'bugger' moment. Did you keep any of your wonderful creations?

advertisement

Back