Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

King Charles III

Discussion in 'off topic' started by TheDecameron, Sep 8, 2022.

1. laughingboy

laughingboy pfm Member

True - a decade of austerity was cynical and destructive but it did not reach the levels of ineptitude that we have come to expect from Tory governments.

The Conservatives are back, and Kwarteng has just reignited the proud flame that torched the economy in 1992 (Wikipedia), 1987 (Wikipedia), the early 1980s (Wikipedia), the early 1970s (Wikipedia), and singed the edges of the British flag in 1956 and 1961 (Wikipedia). Go Tories!

Last edited: Sep 23, 2022 at 6:43 PM
    martin clark likes this.
  2. Ponty

Ponty pfm Member

Well, up until this morning, the tax burden was at the highest level for 70 years. That’s very, very un-conservative.

3. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

It that true? Looks to me that apart from the early 60’s and 90’s it has been fairly consistent
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Ponty

Ponty pfm Member

Yep. £ and FTSE down the toilet, usually they’d move in opposite directions. Total mess, too much debt at the root of the problem, now they’re piling on more.

5. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

Why is debt the root of the problem?

6. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Mate of the bloke

So the 'truly conservative' approach is to pile on more debt. Hmm.

7. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

I guffawed involuntarily when I read that. This has been a spectacular 12 year decline under your party and we haven’t reached the nadir yet though I’m sure it’s approaching and that it’s going to be very deep and not fully reversible. It will break the back of the United Kingdom.

8. ff1d1l

ff1d1l pfm Member

Why be content with ****ing business when you can **** britain?

9. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

10. DonQuixote99

DonQuixote99 pfm Member

Incredible example of a total all-in PR puff piece. Anti-journalism, almost to the point of self satire.

11. gustavm

gustavm pfm Member

I guess its true (and sounds like a useful intervention, not something Andy would have had any time for), but no doubt prompted by a very busy palace PR team who will be seeking to drip feed the media with positive stories like this to build-up C3's public persona.

I doubt if Truss could have managed such success in a similar role. Any intervention from her would likely have finished off the British cheese industry for good.

12. DonQuixote99

DonQuixote99 pfm Member

Listen, I think it would be neat if the king had sort of an ombudsman role, solving little problems with the bureaucracy like this, using his august moral authority only. Main thing is he'd have to have a care not to waste his silver bullets.

13. laughingboy

laughingboy pfm Member

There are posts in the QEII RIP thread on the story that the Palace wants to seize all but an hour's footage of the funeral/accesssion (Guardian), but I thought it better to post here.

First, this shows that the UK monarchy is not just a 'constitutional monarchy' with no power. It is covertly powerful, and has the power to shape the national narrative. In the interest of parliamentary democracy, it needs reining in (I had to be careful with the spelling there).

Second, it shows how the control of 'access' can be enough to constrain the press. We see this in the way the parliamentary lobby dare not criticise the incumbent government because they will be deprived of 'sources'. The monarchy is doing the same here, implicitly threatening to freeze out any dissenting media.

Third, it shows how the Palace is completely out of touch with the modern world. Digital media are so easy to duplicate, and so easy to publish (especially in jurisdictions in which the Palace has no recourse) that this kind of 'D-notice' approach to control of media can only fail.

The Palace request is so wholly reactionary that it must be resisted. My (admittedly childish) reaction would be to urge the media companies to collect an hour of the clips that the Palace wants to suppress (boos at Cardiff Castle, heckling of Andrew and Charles, police suppressing people holding blank pieces of paper, all the bits that the Scottish independence movement might use to bolster their arguments, etc.) and send it to the Palace instead of an hour of 'solemn mourning'. I think we can all agree, it's a good job I'm not in charge.:D

ks.234 and Barrymagrec like this.