Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

King Charles III

Discussion in 'off topic' started by TheDecameron, Sep 8, 2022.

1. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

Thought it best to separate this topic out from the death of Queen Elizabeth. My first surprise is that he has chosen to be crowned King Charles III and not King George VI as widely trailered.

2. martin clark

martin clark pinko bodger

That'd be George VII, shurely.

and - we'll see; I do think that considerable change is going to follow. From without, as much as within.

3. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

Changing his name would have been seen as an old school affectation, which is ironic given we are discussing regal succession.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2022
    MikeMA likes this.
  4. MUTTY1

MUTTY1 Waste of bandwidth

I think most people think that Charles has trashed the fantasy by speaking out throughout his life and only occasionally stuck the donkeys tail in the right place. Despite the sterling efforts of Kate particularly, the monarchy is toast. It’s been hanging on by its fingernails just because of herself. Now she is gone and the rest, despite the establishments efforts, will be as night follows day.

5. Dogberry

Dogberry pfm Member

I hear he's having the currency changed to the Riyal.

tuga, miktec and Mole Man like this.
  6. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

I am very surprised he has chosen to be Charles III.

7. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

Having just experienced the end of the second Elizabethan ages, and of course we have had Victorian, Georgian, and Edwardian ages......are we now entering a Charlsarian age?

8. mandryka

mandryka pfm Member

Carolian. Regnante Carolo

Garrard 401, narabdela and gintonic like this.
  9. TheDecameron

Me too. It’s a break with tradition from the Hanovarian period or in fact since William III, more in line with the royal houses of France, Spain and the Holy Roman Empire. The only two previous British monarchs to take that title were both Stuarts.

10. Gingerbeard

Gingerbeard Ayup Me Duck

I'm no Royalist but this is the biggest load of tosh I've read in a while! If you think the Monarchy is toast, you're absolutely deluded and like it or not, they'll be around for many generations to come...

Martyn Miles, canonman and MUTTY1 like this.
  11. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Amp design and repairs.

The Charleston era? That'll cause a flap

Martyn Miles, tuga, Snufkin and 8 others like this.
  12. MikeMA

MikeMA pfm Member

I'm not really surprised, and suspect change to a regnal name would have caused so much confusion that he was advised against it.

13. MUTTY1

MUTTY1 Waste of bandwidth

I hope your right. I prefer some powerless head of state to some mighty president:)

14. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Amp design and repairs.

"Ah! truss.. I've been expecting you. Mummy had Churchill as her first PM and I get you!? I have better prime ministerial material cleaning the shit out of my stables! There's going to be some big changes around here! Let's start with fracking and then we'll move on to your Rwanda policy":D:D

15. TheDecameron

Berty >George VI?

16. billo

billo pfm Member

Maybe he is hoping Third time lucky?*

*The first did not end well and the second started badly

Alex S likes this.
  17. MikeMA

MikeMA pfm Member

True, but we live in a different age. With every aspect of the lives of public figures now subject to almost continuous and microscopic scrutiny I can't help thinking that Charles changing his name at the age of 73 would cause confusion and derision. I'm also pretty sure that the significance of what happened to Charles I & II will be lost on the plebs : it was lost on me until I was reminded about it here. I could be totally wrong of course.

Weekender likes this.
  18. TheDecameron

The first Charles was unlucky like his grandmother. Both married offspring of the King of France and coincidentally lost their heads in England. Charles II made off before the warty Lord Protector could takes his off and came back to dig up his old adversary and take his off post mortem.

19. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

And Papists….!

20. TheDecameron

Well they married Papists but both remained Protestant despite being leaned on by their wives. It was a bit like Brexit- talk against it and you’ll never get into Cabinet.