advertisement

King Charles III

Lefties also visit the British Museum, I take it that they also take advantage of the heritage of colonialism.

May I ask you something, Tony, do you feel guilty for what your ancestors did ? Provided they were white and British.

The "Time to move on, it's all ancient history..." argument would have more traction if we, as a society, had restructured in ways that made our colonial past irrelevant and obsolete. However, it is still with us. That's the issue. It hasn't been disowned or named. We are still living with it.

Look at the pattern of land ownership in Scotland, a few hundred people owning half the country. A legacy from the Edwardian & Victorian clearances and land grabbing. A whole country set aside as a holiday playground. It is still hampering growth and enterprise in much of the Highlands today. Stopping communities from living their fullest lives. A brake on prosperity.

It took until the mid 1990's to pay off the bill for compensation to Britains' slave owners. The UK borrowed and paid out the equivalent of one third of it's annual GDP to slave owners for the loss of their "property" (even though slaves had to work another two years without pay before being entitled to release).
This means that there are black people alive in the UK today who paid some of their income tax towards the compensation of people who owned and enslaved their own ancestors.

Wasn't the diamond "sold" to Britain?
My superficial review indicates it was given 'in gratitude' to the Queen by the faction that the British left propped up in possession of fancy titles and a palace, after a period of fighting. Quid-pro-quo or spoils of war, take your pick.

52398000492_081d8b0534_w.jpg

So much for Charles’ commitments to the environment

I’d read that as ‘zero mandate alt-right Tory anti-science ideologue attempts to silence high-profile environmental campaigner’. I’m no fan of monarchy but I’d have told Truss GTFO in that situation. I guess he was behind the leak and the papers getting the story, so ultimately he won.

The Monarchy is politics. Nothing is more political, it is politics embodied. And the really clever bit is the idea that the Monarchy doesn’t interfere in politics.

The Monarchy is politics. Nothing is more political, it is politics embodied. And the really clever bit is the idea that the Monarchy doesn’t interfere in politics.
Yes. The other clever bit is convincing the subjects that the Monarchy serves them, rather than the truth which is the other way around.

Our current monarchy, much like our current economy, is built on comfortable lies

Sounds feudal to me.
Revealing of his character as someone who will go to any lengths to preserve his "rights and privileges".
Didn't he prevent tenants in England buying their houses.

Sounds feudal to me.
Revealing of his character as someone who will go to any lengths to preserve his "rights and privileges".
Didn't he prevent tenants in England buying their houses.
In fairness to Charles W, he's only doing what his dear mother and her household did discreetly for 70 years: nothing new, apart from the fact that the latest Scottish regulations mean it now has to take place more openly.

advertisement

Back