advertisement

King Charles III

Surely the massive increase in commemorative china plates and Paddington Bear teddies will keep the economy out of recession?

I've got mine on order - a whole f@cking dinner service for the window and a China Army of Paddingtons for the front lawn.

All being delivered Monday 19th according to the courier.....

Apologies. I have now discovered you can get into a very, very limited bit of it for a mere quarter of the year.
It’s very restricted and underwhelming ( the bits you can actually visit) but I suppose it’s function is as an informal holiday house for its owners. I wouldn’t call it an architectural gem either but the 50,000 acre ‘garden’ is quite impressive.

Re the TV coverage- sounds like it’s too much and the worst aspects for me are the mawkish vox pops and the platitudinous stream of prolix that the rolling news hosts are paid to spout. There were some good interviewees though like historian Chandrika Kaul,

https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/history/people/ck24/

much of this is about symbolism in its deeper sense and I find a lot of that fascinating.

It would seem the (vocal) community here are also out of step with the feelings of the public at large.

I visited a rural garden centre yesterday for some mourning refreshment - cafe was already pretty crammed with other septua/octogenarians who got there early and were stuffing their faces with huge cream cakes and voluminous pots of tea.

None one wore black and many smiled and laughed.

The first republican/anarchist garden centre I've encountered in a long while ...... so affirming :)

Apologies. I have now discovered you can get into a very, very limited bit of it for a mere quarter of the year.
Close:)
Open for 4 months and in winter they run ranger tours. Only the ballroom in the castle but other buildings are open and I have been all over the 50,000 acre estate in a Land Rover Discovery several times.

I visited a rural garden centre yesterday for some mourning refreshment - cafe was already pretty crammed with septua and octogenarians who got there early and were stuffing their faces with huge cream cakes and voluminous pots of tea.

None one wore black and many smiled and laughed.

The first republican/anarchist garden centre I've encountered in a long while ...... so affirming :)
Did you really mean mourning or was it a parapraxis?

I couldn't say. Nobody I know personally is in the Gawd bless yer Majesty/flag-shagging category. I'll have to take your word for it.

It is odd though. I talk to quite a lot of people not wrapped in flags and not one has had anything but upmost admiration and respect for HM. Whereas a stranger reading this thread might think they’d stumbled across anarchist central.

It is odd though. I talk to quite a lot of people not wrapped in flags and not one has had anything but upmost admiration and respect for HM. Whereas a stranger reading this thread might think they’d stumbled across anarchist central.
Have you seen Twitter? It might be an eye opener if you think this is bad. We are talk ing tens of thousands, unfiltered. Probably of an age too that would be perplexed or amused at being labelled Trots and anarchists…vry DM ca 1971 that.

I think the majority of those contributing to this thread have respect for HM (assuming you mean Her Majesty).

Let's suppose that it was decided by some means and at some stage that the Monarchy should be scrapped. I don't believe Parliament has the power to do it, therefore it would require a written constitution with the consent of the reigning monarch. I don't believe that would be enough to prevent some entitled sprog in the future laying claim to the throne either.

It's certainly whinge central but people need somewhere to vent. As so often happens on the internet, we can get a wrong impression due to vociferous posting...the same happens with product quality, it's easy to get a very distorted view from relatively few aggrieved people.

It's certainly whinge central but people need somewhere to vent. As so often happens on the internet, we can get a wrong impression due to vociferous posting...the same happens with product quality, it's easy to get a very distorted view from relatively few aggrieved people.

Yes, a very good point. Like the Toyota driver who has a fault and doesn’t stop complaining about it. Meanwhile millions drive around faultlessly. Although I’m still waiting for one of the Royal Range Rovers to break down.

advertisement

Back