advertisement

King Charles III

Finishing touches being applied to a temporary viewing pod and media centre on the top of Methodist Hall, Parliament Square.

Popped out of house and wasn't able to get anywhere! We were informed that the area around the Palace and the Park would be closed but now most roads going south to the river are closed with tall fences blocking access. Back home listening to the ceremonial guns every minute!

Road closures around here for the procession to the committal at the castle on Monday.

I guess she will not be cremated but buried somewhere? Scotland?

If Henry Windsor is known as Harry why is William Windsor not known as Bill? King Bill sounds good to me.

I just do not get any of this royalty nonsense but can only see it as a projection of the Jungian collective unconscious. Obviously very powerful unfortunately.

If Henry Windsor is known as Harry why is William Windsor not known as Bill? King Bill sounds good to me.

I just do not get any of this royalty nonsense but can only see it as a projection of the Jungian collective unconscious. Obviously very powerful unfortunately.

There's a 'royal vault' at Windsor apparently...

Haven't watched a single second of any of the coverage, i seriously have no interest in dwelling on death or have any interest in the Royals but it seems even pfm is not immune from the familiar tone of forums around the social media of the Queen's demise.

I find it sad but not surprising.

If we were discussing the death of a loved one from pfm the tone would be markedly different, reflecting the great loss someone is enduring but hey, it's the Queen & Charles etc... so who gives **** eh.

Haven't watched a single second of any of the coverage, i seriously have no interest in dwelling on death or have any interest in the Royals but it seems even pfm is not immune from the familiar tone of forums around the social media of the Queen's demise.

I find it sad but not surprising.

If we were discussing the death of a loved one from pfm the tone would be markedly different, reflecting the great loss someone is enduring but hey, it's the Queen & Charles etc... so who gives **** eh.

Correct, however the mods have tried to keep the queenie RIP thread clearer of the noise of the disaffected. This thread has been identified as one you can (within the AUP) vent your visceral organ of choice.

I watched the announcement of death and about 10 mins after that; nothing since. I will watch the funeral, or at least the main bits as my MIL who lives with us is a fan (of funerals I suspect rather than the queen) and the brother in law avec family will also come round so I guess we are having a funeral party.

Once this is all over normal service will resume and we can get back to shouting at the sky again about our trusses or whatever we were talking about before

I'm not convinced that it is, to be honest.

Support for the monarchy has declined in recent years, and now sits at around 60%, compared with support for a republic at just over 25%.

But that's not the end of the story. I think it's a safe bet that, among that 60%, a relatively small number are fervent monarchists - people who would (for example), queue for 30 hours to see the Queen lying in state.

In that sense, being a monarchist is a bit like being a Christian in this country. Many people say they are Christian on census forms, or if directly asked, but relatively few go to church regularly, and even fewer are directly involved in the activties of their local church, beyond turning up on Sunday.

This impression is confirmed by normal life continuing where I live (Sheffield). There is almost no sign of collective grieving (literally none, in fact) and everybody's just doing their thing. I've overheard a few conversations about the Queen's death, mostly respectful, but one or two have been more sceptical.

So, don't be fooled by the wall to wall TV coverage, and the crowds in London. If the consent manufacturing machine has to work this hard, and protestors have to be arrested before they have even written their signs, that is not the mark of an institution that is seen as beyond reproach by the British public.

Having said all that, I doubt the monarchy is going anywhere in the near future, and I'm sure it will outlive me. But in one hundred years time... who knows?

advertisement

Back