advertisement

[IC] Kendal/Lakes breaks for friends & family inc. established fishies: apartment with hifi

The Lakes are a wonderfull location, A must for everyone during their lifetime , I was amazed when I visited the area in 2015.

My wife and I were visiting the Lake District just a few weeks ago staying in a Hotel near Kendal. Nigel was kind enough to allow us to take the opportunity to view his apartment. A lovely place in a great location, we will be staying there next time!

Unfortunately the weather up there was not especially favourable whilst we there. Having got soaked for several days we came home a day early, but I'm sure we would have stayed the duration if we were resident in Nigel's apartment.

Looks a lovely apartment…

Spent many years travelling to & from Kendal when my brother lived there. Had a lovely terrace on Caroline Street, just off the bottom of Windermere Road…

It was a good base for getting some winter walking in!

Looks a lovely apartment…

Spent many years travelling to & from Kendal when my brother lived there. Had a lovely terrace on Caroline Street, just off the bottom of Windermere Road…

It was a good base for getting some winter walking in!
Yep, I know Caroline Street. When I win the lottery (which I don't actually play) it's a house on Kendal Green for me :)

Yep, I know Caroline Street. When I win the lottery (which I don't actually play) it's a house on Kendal Green for me :)

That's where my brothers, ex's Nana lived; one of the small white houses IIRC...

She sadly took her own life many years back; walked herself into the river after her husband passed :(

Situated in Kendal at the south-east corner of the Lake District, Nigel’s apartment is the perfect home from home. With stunning walks, scenery and landscapes a short drive away, it would be easy to think of Kendal as just the launch pad, but there is also much to see and do in this busy Cumbrian market town – on rainy days or sunny ones.
Pubs, restaurants and nightlife. I highly recommend a visit to The Riflemen’s Arms – a friendly, local away from the main town centre at the top of a steep hill (be prepared for the 15-minute upward climb). Sunday is quiz night. Organised by the landlord himself, it is well run and lots of fun. Thursday night is folk night and what a treat to listen to highly skilled local musicians, sharing their extensive repertoire whilst seated around the pub tables. Good real ales on tap.
Despite its relatively small size, Kendal offers a huge variety of cuisine for the visitor at reasonable prices. Highly recommended is ‘Pedro’s Casa’, a family-owned tapas restaurant with a Spanish and Mexican inspired menu. Other favourites include Mumbai, Bangkok 7 and La Pekora Nera. For the avoidance of any doubt, they are Indian, Thai and Italian cuisine in that order. Service at all restaurants is friendly and helpful. I would add that it’s best to check ahead if you want to eat out early in the week as some of these places only open from Wednesday – Saturday. The convenient location of Nigel’s apartment means all are accessible on foot for an evening out, and a take away collected at the restaurant will still be hot after the short walk home.
Famous for its lakes, mountains, valleys and landscapes, the Lake District is both a walker’s paradise and a thrill seeker’s dream. From short, accessible walks labelled ‘Miles without Stiles’, through to Scafell Pike, anyone can access the outdoors. Walks around lakes and tarns offer woods, streams and an abundance of wildlife. I recommend Loweswater and Tarn Hows – short, accessible walks and level underfoot.
Walks in the Great Langdales offer the drama of sweeping landscapes and seemingly endless sky. A walk along the valley floor is a great way to experience the grandeur although there are many climbs and more challenging walks for those who are more adventurous. If you are lucky (or unlucky), the RAF might be practising their low flying skills and your peaceful reverie will be shattered by the thunderous but utterly exhilarating sight and sound of a fighter jet......... if you’re quick you might even get a photo.
Another good walk that offers rough paths, streams and some uphill, but is not too difficult, is around Grasmere and along the River Rothay. Finish with a visit to Wordsworth’s cottage and / or grave.
If the weather is hot, there are multiple safe and sandy beaches for swimmers. Windermere and Coniston Water offer boat rides across the lakes and many can be combined with a walk or a stopover. Thrill seekers can choose from rock climbing, abseiling, ghyll scrambling, canoeing, paddle boarding, etc. Add in shops, souvenirs and local specialities such as Kendall Mint Cake and Grasmere gingerbread – (don’t tell your dentist), there is something for everyone.
Rainy days......
But the Lake District also has history. As steam trains made travel accessible to the middle classes in Victorian England, the Lake District attracted visitors from the cities. Beatrix Potter found peace and tranquility in her little cottage and wrote her whimsical stories inspired by the landscape and wildlife. She became known for her conservation work and her National Trust property in Near Sawrey tells the story.

John Ruskin, a wealthy Victorian philosopher, writer, art critic and public speaker, bought Brantwood on the shores of Coniston Water where he lived until his death. He wrote with expertise on a huge range of subjects, even developing an interest in issues of social justice. A visit to Brantwood can be included in a boat trip on the lake. Speaking of boat trips, the steam yacht ‘Gondola’ on Coniston Water is a unique way to travel on this stretch of water with a great commentary to accompany the peaceful (non-diesel) journey.
The pièce de résistance of houses though has to be Blackwell, one of the best preserved ‘arts and crafts’ houses in England. Designed by Mackay Hugh Baillie Scott, this Grade 1 listed building demonstrates the core practices of this movement. Built to make use of the natural light and using motifs from nature herself, the house also embraces traditional crafts in an age where industrialisation and mass production were quickly overwhelming centuries-old traditional skills.
As for your accommodation, Nigel’s apartment is just perfect for your stay. The 2 flights of stairs might be challenging after a long day of walks, but your ‘home from home’ makes it worthwhile. Beds are extremely comfortable and the living area, spacious and relaxing. The fully equipped kitchen makes meal preparation easy with the local supermarket Booths providing all your culinary needs. The bathroom is functional, clean and bright while a washing machine and drier are discreetly tucked away in an alcove. Rainy days and evenings in are catered for with TV and the all-important high end music system.
Want a perfect week away in the Lake District? Not long enough, book 2!

Situated in Kendal at the south-east corner of the Lake District, Nigel’s apartment is the perfect home from home. With stunning walks, scenery and landscapes a short drive away, it would be easy to think of Kendal as just the launch pad, but there is also much to see and do in this busy Cumbrian market town – on rainy days or sunny ones.
Pubs, restaurants and nightlife. I highly recommend a visit to The Riflemen’s Arms – a friendly, local away from the main town centre at the top of a steep hill (be prepared for the 15-minute upward climb). Sunday is quiz night. Organised by the landlord himself, it is well run and lots of fun. Thursday night is folk night and what a treat to listen to highly skilled local musicians, sharing their extensive repertoire whilst seated around the pub tables. Good real ales on tap.
Despite its relatively small size, Kendal offers a huge variety of cuisine for the visitor at reasonable prices. Highly recommended is ‘Pedro’s Casa’, a family-owned tapas restaurant with a Spanish and Mexican inspired menu. Other favourites include Mumbai, Bangkok 7 and La Pekora Nera. For the avoidance of any doubt, they are Indian, Thai and Italian cuisine in that order. Service at all restaurants is friendly and helpful. I would add that it’s best to check ahead if you want to eat out early in the week as some of these places only open from Wednesday – Saturday. The convenient location of Nigel’s apartment means all are accessible on foot for an evening out, and a take away collected at the restaurant will still be hot after the short walk home.
Famous for its lakes, mountains, valleys and landscapes, the Lake District is both a walker’s paradise and a thrill seeker’s dream. From short, accessible walks labelled ‘Miles without Stiles’, through to Scafell Pike, anyone can access the outdoors. Walks around lakes and tarns offer woods, streams and an abundance of wildlife. I recommend Loweswater and Tarn Hows – short, accessible walks and level underfoot.
Walks in the Great Langdales offer the drama of sweeping landscapes and seemingly endless sky. A walk along the valley floor is a great way to experience the grandeur although there are many climbs and more challenging walks for those who are more adventurous. If you are lucky (or unlucky), the RAF might be practising their low flying skills and your peaceful reverie will be shattered by the thunderous but utterly exhilarating sight and sound of a fighter jet......... if you’re quick you might even get a photo.
Another good walk that offers rough paths, streams and some uphill, but is not too difficult, is around Grasmere and along the River Rothay. Finish with a visit to Wordsworth’s cottage and / or grave.
If the weather is hot, there are multiple safe and sandy beaches for swimmers. Windermere and Coniston Water offer boat rides across the lakes and many can be combined with a walk or a stopover. Thrill seekers can choose from rock climbing, abseiling, ghyll scrambling, canoeing, paddle boarding, etc. Add in shops, souvenirs and local specialities such as Kendall Mint Cake and Grasmere gingerbread – (don’t tell your dentist), there is something for everyone.
Rainy days......
But the Lake District also has history. As steam trains made travel accessible to the middle classes in Victorian England, the Lake District attracted visitors from the cities. Beatrix Potter found peace and tranquility in her little cottage and wrote her whimsical stories inspired by the landscape and wildlife. She became known for her conservation work and her National Trust property in Near Sawrey tells the story.

John Ruskin, a wealthy Victorian philosopher, writer, art critic and public speaker, bought Brantwood on the shores of Coniston Water where he lived until his death. He wrote with expertise on a huge range of subjects, even developing an interest in issues of social justice. A visit to Brantwood can be included in a boat trip on the lake. Speaking of boat trips, the steam yacht ‘Gondola’ on Coniston Water is a unique way to travel on this stretch of water with a great commentary to accompany the peaceful (non-diesel) journey.
The pièce de résistance of houses though has to be Blackwell, one of the best preserved ‘arts and crafts’ houses in England. Designed by Mackay Hugh Baillie Scott, this Grade 1 listed building demonstrates the core practices of this movement. Built to make use of the natural light and using motifs from nature herself, the house also embraces traditional crafts in an age where industrialisation and mass production were quickly overwhelming centuries-old traditional skills.
As for your accommodation, Nigel’s apartment is just perfect for your stay. The 2 flights of stairs might be challenging after a long day of walks, but your ‘home from home’ makes it worthwhile. Beds are extremely comfortable and the living area, spacious and relaxing. The fully equipped kitchen makes meal preparation easy with the local supermarket Booths providing all your culinary needs. The bathroom is functional, clean and bright while a washing machine and drier are discreetly tucked away in an alcove. Rainy days and evenings in are catered for with TV and the all-important high end music system.
Want a perfect week away in the Lake District? Not long enough, book 2!
Great info! Looking forward to our stay next month!

Well this is nice, from recent fishie guest "B":

Thank you so much for entrusting your beautiful flat to us for a week. We hope you find it just as asked for in the information. I only used the main hifi amp for TV sound, even so it was superbly clear.
We replaced washing up liquid and toilet rolls.
The weather was fantastic all week and we managed to use the buses a lot. We got to Coniston, Windermere, Ambleside, Grange over Sands, Morecambe and Fell Foot.
We ate and drank at Ye Olde Fleece Inn and enjoyed an evening at the Factory Tap. It just whetted our appetite for the future!
If I had realised it was the opera festival I would have tried to get to one of the concerts, as it was we heard it from above when we went to a craft fair in the town hall.
The apartment could not be better situated for a visitor to Kendal and the parking tip worked a treat.
Once again thanks for the opportunity to enjoy your lovely apartment.

Last edited:
And fresh in from Fishie guest N... I just love having made a space which others enjoy so much:

Hi Nigel,

Just a quick note to say thanks for letting us stay in your lovely place in Kendal. We've had an action-packed week walking the fells and visiting some of your Kendal recommendations, including Blackwell today which was fantastic, and the local shops and restaurants. Great space to kick back and relax and wish we were staying another week, but Snowdon beckons. We're planning to set off at around 3:30 pm on Friday if you could please let Sheila know.

I really enjoyed listening to both radiograms! The Audia Flight / Posselt / Arcam combo is very nice, great midrange, and the Pioneer stack looks amazing and has that lovely eighties hifi sound. Great to hear some other kit in situ.

All the best,
N

Hi all,

Just like to say a big thanks to Nigel as my wife and I used his apartment over the weekend just gone and I have to say we had a very enjoyable stay (fantastic audio system and the apartment is a really great base for the lakes)

Arrived latish on the Friday and after dumping our stuff in the apartment, we parked the car and got some drinks from Majestic Wines, followed by some great fish and chips from just around the corner of where the apartment is :cool:

Again, just around the corner is a coffee shop (Fab Coffee) where we had breakfast - very nice bacon, sausage and egg bap for me and the wife had Eggs Benedict plus coffee's and soft drinks on the Saturday morning we headed out - a few pics from Lake Coniston.
Visited a few more villages and ended up back in Kendal and went to the curry house which served a great meal. We were sat in a window seat and just as we started to tuck into the grub a procession went by (it was the Kendal Twilight Parade) which was very surreal (but nice :))

During the evening we listened to loads of records and CD's which was great plus a few drinks. The following morning we went to the same cafe for breakfast which was again, very nice then headed back home via Windermere (nice but too busy).

All-in-all a great stay and break and can't recommend the apartment highly enough - just right for 2 to 4 people in comfort (with the added bonus of the HiFi systems - love the look of the system in the master bedroom :D)

Cheers Nigel and will look to book again for next year.

20230922_205218.jpg

20230923_124929.jpg

20230923_125015.jpg

20230923_143458.jpg

20230923_144719.jpg

Cheers Andy,

Always great to get such feedback. I must try Fab Coffee when I'm there myself second week of October!

All the best,
Nigel

advertisement

Back