advertisement

[IC] Kendal/Lakes breaks for friends & family inc. established fishies: apartment with hifi

Just got back from a quick tour of that Norf. Stayed in the apartment for a few days while ‘doing’ the Lakes. I can confirm everything that’s been said so far - it’s a lovely space to come back to and facilities first class. I only had a quick go on the hifi, as we were late in most nights, but a great system. I may have nightmares about the speakers though - they are rather threatening. I wasn’t able to draw a conclusion on the Reiki Superswitch but I may like a try in my system. One comment - is the turntable shelf level, or is it the building that’s wonky?
Love the Pioneer rack n stack in the other room!
Taste-wise, I’m a deco man, but the retro items show a lot of trouble went into the decor, nicely done.

Kendal’s worth a visit anyway, and we tried out La Pekora Nero, Corner 124 and the Old Fleece for food. Pizza was a bit average in the Pekora, but the others were very good. Don’t miss Farrers tea and coffee shop - stocked up on some large leaf pekoe Darjeeling. We also dropped into Ophelia Lighting which is a great shop for, er, lighting. Came away with a tealight lava lamp which I never knew existed.

Highlights of the trip included Blackwell House (the white drawing room is epic), Sizergh, Windermere Jetty Museum, Townend farmhouse and no trip to the Lakes is complete without seeing Hardknott fort, Castlerigg stone circle and Langdale Pikes. We had suspect weather the whole time but it didn’t spoil a thing.
Bowness and Ambleside have really gone downhill though. Covid fallout I guess.

The rest of our trip was thoroughly doing Hadrian’s Wall and Durham on the way back.

Nigel’s hospitality is second to none, and it made our trip extra memorable. Thanks!

Last edited:
Just got back from a quick tour of that Norf. Stayed in the apartment for a few days while ‘doing’ the Lakes. I can confirm everything that’s been said so far - it’s a lovely space to come back to and facilities first class. I only had a quick go on the hifi, as we were late in most nights, but a great system. I may have nightmares about the speakers though - they are rather threatening. I wasn’t able to draw a conclusion on the Reiki Superswitch but I may like a try in my system. One comment - is the turntable shelf level, or is it the building that’s wonky?
The building is wonky! There's a slope from the front of the building to the back such that the double-width hifi rack needs different heights at the left and right. It's not to the poing where if you stood a 2p piece up on its rim it would roll from one end to the other, but if you have something dead level like a turntable shelf then you do notice it.
Taste-wise, I’m a deco man, but the retro items show a lot of trouble went into the decor, nicely done.

Kendal’s worth a visit anyway, and we tried out La Pekora Nero, Corner 124 and the Old Fleece for food. Pizza was a bit average in the Pekora, but the others were very good. Don’t miss Farrers tea and coffee shop - stocked up on some large leaf pekoe Darjeeling. We also dropped into Ophelia Lighting which is a great shop for, er, lighting. Came away with a tealight lava lamp which I never knew existed.

Highlights of the trip included Blackwell House (the white drawing room is epic), Sizergh, Windermere Jetty Museum, Townend farmhouse and no trip to the Lakes is complete without seeing Hardknott fort, Castlerigg stone circle and Langdale Pikes. We had suspect weather the whole time but it didn’t spoil a thing.

The rest of our trip was throughly doing Hadrian’s Wall and Durham on the way back.

Nigel’s hospitality is second to none, and it made our trip extra memorable. Thanks!
Nice write-up. Crikey, you packed a lot in! Great stuff.

Don’t miss Farrers tea and coffee shop - stocked up on some large leaf pekoe Darjeeling.
It's a fabulous coffee and tea merchant's, over 200 years old, with a great cafe doing lunches to die for... we get all our coffee for Kendal and here in Leicestershire freshly ground here: Espresso grind of the Westmorland Blend and of their fabulous Swiss Water Decaffeinated which is the only decaf we've found that tastes like coffee. Like you, we got some large leaf Darjeeling from there which tastes fabulous and I thought I wasn't a Darjeeling fan.

I may have nightmares about the speakers though - they are rather threatening.
Threatening? Were you beaten up by the tall skinny kid at school? :)

Ok, they're six feet tall, but they're elegant tall not beat-you-up-for-looking-at-your-missus-the-wrong-way tall. Honest! ;)

The rest of our trip was thoroughly doing Hadrian’s Wall and Durham on the way back.

It was you that cut that bloody tree down wasn’t it?

That looks fabulous! Just how 'established' would one have to be of these parts to qualify?

advertisement

Back