advertisement

JLR booming !

Went in a taxi last week, an E class estate. It was bloody lovely. Chatting to the guy, I asked its age. A 2020 E220d estate with 272,000 kilometres (Greece). I thought it was a year old or something. That’s simply not possible with JLR, IMHO.
Loads of the taxis in Tangier are W123s. Minimum 38 years old!

When I saw the title of this thread, I thought of this:

38152e6f3fef43a19f04049863eee6f1_ful.jpg

I know they're renowned for unreliability but hopefully not so terminally as this.

Land Rover had a virtually monopoly of the Australian 4WD market - until Toyota showed up. Above a certain latitude in Queensland, practically every other vehicle is a Land Cruiser of some sort.
"If you want to visit the Outback take a Land Rover, if you want to come back take a Land Cruiser."

I know this is perhaps not the definitive measure of whether JLR products are serious (serious defined by me as: solid, reliable, value for money, readily repairable) off road products or not, but:

In none of the dozen or so farming families that are chronicalled in the BBC TV series This Farming Life did I find any JLR products being used. This being despite virtually every family's road/field/towing vehicle appearing identifiably at some point or other in the episodes.

Furthermore, looking at the results of two different car warranty database compilations of worst cars (defined by reliability and cost of repair) JLR are down there in the rogues gallery of not to be touched even with barge pole vehicles.

And finally, in my litany of none corroborated circumstantial evidence, in a documentary I can't remember the name of where the owner of a safari company was asked: why do you have ten Land Cruisers and one Defender (old style not the new one) he answered (words to the effect of):

"Because when your business is crossing parts of the Sahara Desert, days away from help, you and your client's lives depend your vehicle not breaking down".

Taking account of the above I don't see the current Defender as anything other than a vehicle designed to be JLR's newest high profit margin lifestyle accessory for its established customer base of on road users.

PS: What are those optional outside panniers that mount on the rear window area of the new Defender for? Extra storage in case the bungalow sized vehicle lacks enough interior storage? The automotive equivalent of an arm tattoo that states "I'm 'ard as nails, so don't mess with me"? Or are they back up features designed to knock the head off any pedestrian nimble enough to dodge out of the way of the high and flat fronted SUV exemption from the road car safety rules front end?
We have had had two Discoverys (in the US an LR3 and an LR4). Last time I took the LR4 off road in Death Valley I blew out the sidewall on two tyres because LandRover decided to put low profile tyres on the vehicle and at the time there were no really capable tough tyre options, the OEM Pirelli Scorpions were just too wimpy to even handle relatively tame off road trails. If LR were serious about using the vehicle off road they would at least have given the option of smaller diameter wheels.

As to reliability I would certainly agree that of the vehicles we have had, the Discos have been the least reliable, they never left us stranded but there always seems to be something cropping up that requires an expensive fix, for example the front lower wishbones wear out at around 35k miles, and you cannot just replace the bearings you need to replace the whole item. Oil leaks as well seem to regularly occur necessitating very costly repairs. That said we really love our ageing LR4, it drives well, is decently quick and aside from the tyre issues is darned good off road. When it dies we will probably look at a Defender of possibly the Grenadier.

Like always, varied experiences with various vehicles. I've owned, and/or looked after (for my caving club) the following Land Rovers -
2.25 litre Mk IIA 12-seater Safari, used to take twelve (!) cavers plus LR trailer to Yugoslavia, 1969 to 1974. Not fast, bloody uncomfortable to drive, but never let us down, went anywhere. SWB series III County 2.25 litre petrol, had for a couple of years, no problems. Range Rover Vogue 3.5 litre petrol V8, three years, just fine, but it was bloody thirsty (luckily my company paid for the fuel), left with a previous Mrs Suffolk who ran it for another couple of years apparently. We bought a new LR Discovery TD5 when you could save a bomb by importing them. Used by SWMBO Mk 2, and for towing a large caravan across Europe. 68K approx. miles, no problems (and I mean none).

We then bought a new Toyota LC5 Land Cruiser, the one with air suspension. Kept it for a couple of years & I'm sure it would have lasted forever, but it was a horrid old thing to drive and the Toyota garages were lousy. It had a nasty habit (they all do that sir...) of disengaging cruise control when it was under load - no fun when you're towing a large caravan up a steep hill. We finally bought a new TDV8 L322 Range Rover which we kept for four years/ 75K-ish miles. Again, reliable, zero faults, a superb vehicle. Big though, and after giving up caravanning my kids felt it was environmentally unfriendly, so we reluctantly parted company with it.

Here's our old Safari, in South Wales -

mkEHYxl.jpg

Jaguar Land Rover has rolled out new security measures to battle keyless car thefts. Birmingham and Solihull car maker JLR continues to boost the security of their model range with owners now eligible to secure a swathe of new features.

Over the coming months, JLR - which makes cars in Solihull at Lode Lane - will invite the owners of vehicles dating back to 2016 to visit their local dealer for the free update. Those unable to visit a showroom can request the service via one of JLR’s mobile technicians.

The crucial update prevents thieves from being able to breach the car’s on-board computer systems, which they do in order to unlock the vehicle and programme new keys. Since 2022, more than 65,000 eligible vehicles from 2018 models onwards have received security updates. JLR has invested £15m in the initiative.

JLR CEO Adrian Mardell is now calling for an “urgent national conversation” about organised vehicle crime. He wants the Government to put vehicle crime higher up the agenda, stating that it’s a “serious issue” in the UK. "Our clients are suffering from that, and most people in this country won’t like that, whether they’re suffering or not,” he said.

JLR CEO Adrian Mardell is now calling for an “urgent national conversation” about organised vehicle crime.
I have absolutely no sympathy. Car companies spend billions on new car designs yet apparently, securing a car is an afterthought.
Since 2022, more than 65,000 eligible vehicles from 2018 models onwards have received security updates. JLR has invested £15m in the initiative.

Seriously, that's a pitiful sum of money for a multi - billion car company. They've spent peanuts and the security features reflect that.

My stepson has a Jag. F Pace I think
Just paid £4000 for a new steering rack, after waiting a couple of months for it to come into the country
In the US they recalled and replaced the steering rack. Not so in the UK.
The new steering rack has also gone.
He is waiting to see if it is covered on warranty

It's interesting that modern development s have made them less secure. It was a big issue in the 90s, but rule changes and crypto keys scotched that. Post 2000 it was almost impossible to steal a car without the key. AFAIK this is still the case for my 2009 car. These days it takes seconds.

advertisement

Back