advertisement

JLR booming !

we need a few more Cadillac Escalade sized cars on our roads. If you think a Range Rover is big......

Screenshot-20240518-103821-Chrome.jpg

I thought it is cheaper than the Defender.
I'm not sure it is.

A base Grenadier 5 seat Station Wagon kicks off at £76k, the Defender 110 kicks off at about £68k. I haven't really sat down and compared what you get exactly for these sums.

Regards

Richard

My stepson has a Jag. F Pace I think
Just paid £4000 for a new steering rack, after waiting a couple of months for it to come into the country
In the US they recalled and replaced the steering rack. Not so in the UK.

Thats a real ball ache , is it a known problem with F pace ? I know someone with a nissan quashqai and they have had a recall for steering rack

Edinburgh Ineos are doing the 5 seat utility for £50K that’s £9K off list, brand new, drops to about £40K with the VAT off. Had a load of problems with our Mitsi Trojan twin cab was glad to get shot. Look OK inside, not had a drive yet.

I'm not sure it is.

A base Grenadier 5 seat Station Wagon kicks off at £76k, the Defender 110 kicks off at about £68k. I haven't really sat down and compared what you get exactly for these sums.

Regards

Richard
Jeez, Makes my £55K Merc Estate seem like a bargain. Burmeister sound, sunroof, 9 speed auto, AMG pack etc

My stepson has a Jag. F Pace I think
Just paid £4000 for a new steering rack, after waiting a couple of months for it to come into the country
In the US they recalled and replaced the steering rack. Not so in the UK.
Not covered by warranty? That's terrible

I know this is perhaps not the definitive measure of whether JLR products are serious (serious defined by me as: solid, reliable, value for money, readily repairable) off road products or not, but:

In none of the dozen or so farming families that are chronicalled in the BBC TV series This Farming Life did I find any JLR products being used. This being despite virtually every family's road/field/towing vehicle appearing identifiably at some point or other in the episodes.

Furthermore, looking at the results of two different car warranty database compilations of worst cars (defined by reliability and cost of repair) JLR are down there in the rogues gallery of not to be touched even with barge pole vehicles.

And finally, in my litany of none corroborated circumstantial evidence, in a documentary I can't remember the name of where the owner of a safari company was asked: why do you have ten Land Cruisers and one Defender (old style not the new one) he answered (words to the effect of):

"Because when your business is crossing parts of the Sahara Desert, days away from help, you and your client's lives depend your vehicle not breaking down".

Taking account of the above I don't see the current Defender as anything other than a vehicle designed to be JLR's newest high profit margin lifestyle accessory for its established customer base of on road users.

PS: What are those optional outside panniers that mount on the rear window area of the new Defender for? Extra storage in case the bungalow sized vehicle lacks enough interior storage? The automotive equivalent of an arm tattoo that states "I'm 'ard as nails, so don't mess with me"? Or are they back up features designed to knock the head off any pedestrian nimble enough to dodge out of the way of the high and flat fronted SUV exemption from the road car safety rules front end?

Most farmers, if they have anything from Land Rover that isn't a Defender, it'll be an L322 Rangie.

Good morning all,

It goes to show that the JLR marketing department are doing a good job of promoting an image/ lifestyle which people are buying into.

IMHO they are moving in to what I would consider to be an ever decreasing niche market. They clearly abandoned the working utility vehicle market when the traditional Defender production line closed down. I'm sure with a bit of foresight they could have produced a challenger to the pick-up trucks being favoured in such as the Australian market many years ago - it's not as if the warning signs weren't there.

As I must have stated elsewhere we'll keep our 2007 110 going until diesel becomes too expensive to buy............. We are in the category who actually use the vehicle for towing!!

Regards

Richard

Luxury 4WD is an increasing market since BMW X5 started it and every high end niche manufacturer has got one now: Porsche, Lamborghini, Ferrari, Bentley, Aston Martin and even Rolls Royce.
I would include the Audi Q8, Merc G and a host of American like Cadillac, Ford, GM...
Far more lucrative than farm/towing vehicles.
The UK market is a small part of it.

I know this is perhaps not the definitive measure of whether JLR products are serious (serious defined by me as: solid, reliable, value for money, readily repairable) off road products or not, but:

In none of the dozen or so farming families that are chronicalled in the BBC TV series This Farming Life did I find any JLR products being used. This being despite virtually every family's road/field/towing vehicle appearing identifiably at some point or other in the episodes.

Same here, Suzuki Vitara, Honda, 2 Hi Lux, Ford Ranger.

Most of us have had Land Rovers at some stage and moved on for reliability.

Jeez, Makes my £55K Merc Estate seem like a bargain. Burmeister sound, sunroof, 9 speed auto, AMG pack etc

Went in a taxi last week, an E class estate. It was bloody lovely. Chatting to the guy, I asked its age. A 2020 E220d estate with 272,000 kilometres (Greece). I thought it was a year old or something. That’s simply not possible with JLR, IMHO.

When I saw the title of this thread, I thought of this:

38152e6f3fef43a19f04049863eee6f1_ful.jpg

I know they're renowned for unreliability but hopefully not so terminally as this.

Land Rover had a virtually monopoly of the Australian 4WD market - until Toyota showed up. Above a certain latitude in Queensland, practically every other vehicle is a Land Cruiser of some sort.

advertisement

Back