advertisement

It's 2022. Thinking of making any changes to your system? Like what?

Second upgrade of the year Linn M140's to replace my tri aktiv Ninka's ,
been happy with the Ninka's especially with the polymer bases.
But £710 for the M140's with the upgraded aluminium bases it had to be done.
Ninka's are for sale now!!
Next upgrade would be to take the M140's Exakt but that's a big jump for me :eek:

Last edited:
I'm thinking about new bigger speakers, a valve amp(s) again, swapping the palmer for something cheaper to stop worrying and anyway changing the Dynavector for a Hana.
I think about lot's of stuff. One day, one or more of these will occur. maybe.

Finally getting round to fixing/fettling everything I've neglected for nearly a decade while my attention was focused on our son. Once that's done time to look at some new speakers maybe and at proper streaming (and not just Spotify through a crappy soundbar in my office).

A Bluesound Node N130 was delivered today bought from Yorkshire AV. It will be replacing a Node 2 which feeds the DAC on my Aavik amp for streaming duties (mainly Amazon HD) so I can use the new USB out feature. I was strongly advised by my Aavik dealer to use USB on the Aavik's DAC rather than coax/optical S/PDIF (and he thought the Node 2 and 2i were capable of USB digital outputs which unfortunately they are not). Let's see how much of a change there is.

The Node N130 USB out is a useful upgrade on streamed music on Amazon HD at standard CD bit rates on many familiar recordings, but on higher resolution music, the improvement can be quite startling (track dependant). I didn't expect this.

As insane as it may look, I may "downgrade" back to my little Naim NAP 110 in my main listening room.
I will (again!) compare it against a Musical Fidelity P170, Exposure IV and a few modern amps my friends will bring to run some tests but so far, the 110 has this extra kick I can’t find with other amps..........
The final preamp will be either a Classe Audio CP35 or a Treshold Fet TWO.
The Treshold pre gives me everything including the Naim’s PRaT while the Classe Audio is softer on the ears like a tube preamp which could be a better match with the mighty NAP.
I'm glad I didn’t get rid of my 110 !
The 110 is the best amp Naim ever made.

I've gone the downgrade path.

In - Bluesound Powernode N330 and Q Acoustics 3050i Speakers

Out to be sold - Vertere Dg 1 TT, Sugden Bijou Cdp, pre/headmaster, phonomaster and Musicmaster. SJS Arcadia pre amp and Heco Direkt Speakers and associated wires.

Overall I'm delighted and my bank account will be too LOL!

Just added a Rega Planar 2 as I just want something to dabble with (famous last words), a Project Phono box S2 and updating my amp to the Norma IPA140. Before the end of the year I’d also like to get the S60 power supply for my Antipodes S40.

Bar getting hundreds of cds and vinyl I’ve got in my little black book (when hear anything I fancy I shove it in book wait six months till list is stupid long and buy a couple of hundred albums) I’m happy with system. Can’t really think of anything that would make me much happier than my current setup, nice and rare place to be.

Having said that, give it another six months and a new mono cartridge will be on the cards, along with splurge on mono vinyl ,and new arm on the Lenco.
It’s an addiction I actually :)

Now I’m feeling settled with the Chord 2Qute I think some Rothwell attenuators are in order to get a greater usable range on the volume control of the ATC amp, I think the 10dB ones will be adequate.

Now I’m feeling settled with the Chord 2Qute I think some Rothwell attenuators are in order to get a greater usable range on the volume control of the ATC amp, I think the 10dB ones will be adequate.

I ran a 2Qute into a NAC82, and it was...tricky. The selectable output levels on the Qutest are incredibly helpful in that respect.

Am likely to purchase a Groovemaster III tonearm for my TD-124 Mk I in the next week or two.

Also thinking about the following for later this year and beyond:

- Upgrading my NAP 300 to DR.

- New speakers. Current leading contenders are near polar opposites: Perlisten and Fleetwood.

- Trading in NDS/555PSDR for DCS Bartok (or something similar)

I keep thinking about ways in which my system might be improved... and can't come up with any.

I won't be moving, ever (well, not until I move out in a box) so my listening room won't change. The speakers I have are perfect for it, with a little help from a room correction device. The amplification is ideal for the speakers. The sources (all digital) are not capable of improvement. So there's nowhere to go, and nothing to spend money on except an occasional rare recording that isn't on Qobuz :)

I keep thinking about ways in which my system might be improved... and can't come up with any.

I won't be moving, ever (well, not until I move out in a box) so my listening room won't change. The speakers I have are perfect for it, with a little help from a room correction device. The amplification is ideal for the speakers. The sources (all digital) are not capable of improvement. So there's nowhere to go, and nothing to spend money on except an occasional rare recording that isn't on Qobuz :)
I am feeling this myself now.

Yesterday I remembered that I have an old Japanese turntable.

Aiwa AP 2200

I have had that turntable for about 30 years, but haven’t used it for ? maybe 20 yrs.

Spent a while cleaning the dust off of it, finding the original headshell… Strobe light lamp has blown, needs a service generally. I am going to contact Nottingham Hi-Fi repairs and see if David can do anything with it. He might even have a replacement foot as one has broken off the deck.

The Wife did remark that “you already have 3 decks…” - well I will have 4 working hopefully.

I've made all the changes I planned now.
Starting with the Tannoys, I made grille frames and cloths, which work well. Then I opened them up and replaced the big HF cap with a Mundorf unit and re adjusted the driver bolting and tightness, still tuning for a smoother response .*
Next, out went my loved and favourite ever amp, the Luxman 505 and in came a Leben CS600. I knew the Tannoys were sensitive enough for the bottom end to stay true in loud bits, and the Leben has proven exactly as I guessed it might. Lovely, with the right valves.
After that it was the turn of wires. In the hope of getting some that worked well and were well made, I changed everything for Mark Grant (barring speaker cables, which remain as were). Perfect.

And then it was cartridge and (since the Leben has none) Phono stage. I wanted to try something smoother* than the Dynavector 20 which I enjoyed but never loved so in came a Hana ML. A bit of searching partnered this up with Avid's Pellar PS. The Avid is a fairly easy fit, once you have told it what settings your cartridge wants. The Hana was surprisingly less simple. It sits in the SME headshell quite far forward. I'd say the stylus is 8mm or so further forward than the Dynavector, so the arm needed realigning. As it turned out, I was right to do it all, stripping the mounting block down and using the template to reposition the base showed I had mis-positioned the mounting block at last years clean up, and tracking had been out by a notable amount since. 3 protractors and an hour of cursing later and it's perfect now. It shows too, with perfect tracking from track 1 to the inner groove. Phew.

As I write the cart only has 15 hours on it, but is singing like a lark already. I love it and the Pellar combo. Apart from Ortofon's Cadenza black, it's the best cartridge I've owned, and in some ways, being a little less delicate than the Ortofon and a tad more 'organic' I prefer it.

This is just before the Hana and Avid arrived.

HiFi now by John Dutfield, on Flickr

So I'm happy huh?

*Well it turns out that the unpleasant resonance I am hearing around 1Khz and up a way....a bit like guitar feeddack through the speakers, and making some female voices edgy, sharp and horrible, is not the kit, nor the room but, my left ear!
So upgrade for autumn 2022 is a visit to the hosp ear dept to see what they say :)
At least that'll be free.

Mrs Rock will be delighted.

PS. No, not Ivory. Part of the project was a promise to mrs R to restore this Elly, which got cleaned, fitted to a new base and waxed. The tusks were black but I painted them and waxed the finish. He only cost £15 at auction, but makes a cracking stand now i think.

Being firmly stuck in non spendy land, my efforts will be firmly non spendy. And all the more satisfying for it. Goodbye tyranny of choice, see you next time (not) buyers remorse. It's actually quite a nice feeling.

Last year I built grille frames for the JBL L300 Summits. This year I might paint them, and next year I might actually find some cloth I like to cover them with :)

Seeing as they're fairly huge (think fridge) I quite fancy something a little more textured and interesting than the original plain. Something like Robert's Tannoy's maybe if I can find it. I made two pairs of frames to allow swaps.

After that I might tart up the Dorsets. Re-finish the veneer and make some new frames so I can try different cloth without messing up the original chocolate brown ones. Probably around 2026 then. Unless I stumble across my misplaced energy. Used to have endless amounts of that but can't think where I left it...

I was thinking about changing all my cabling to ' basics ' cables! Then fortunately I caught myself before I did such a rash thing..they say there is no fool like an old fool? And of course the exception proves the rule...

advertisement

Back