advertisement

Item Audio "Spoke" for the Linn LP12 anybody..?

If B is your deck in standard trim and A is your deck with some form of suspension bypass then you really need your deck set up correctly as that is shockingly bad speed stability. I'd have your power supply and motor looked at as well. Is this the same deck you are selling in the classifieds?

I'd also say while A sounds better from a pitch point of view it does sound a little 'obscured'

If B is your deck in standard trim and A is your deck with some form of suspension bypass then you really need your deck set up correctly as that is shockingly bad speed stability. I'd have your power supply and motor looked at as well. Is this the same deck you are selling in the classifieds?

I'd also say while A sounds better from a pitch point of view it does sound a little 'obscured'

Just to clarify, are you saying that A or B has speed instability problems?

what do you mean by tune?

a tune is just a mono sequence of notes but this piece has harmony counterpoint and swing.....i'm not really getting that very well with either of your versions....

I mean 'in tune' or 'out of tune'. I don't really see that as a separate meaning to the tune of a song. You can know the tune but go out of tune. Equally harmony can be part of the tune, and can go out of tune too. Where's the difficulty?

I mean 'in tune' or 'out of tune'. I don't really see that as a separate meaning to the tune of a song. You can know the tune but go out of tune. Equally harmony can be part of the tune, and can go out of tune too. Where's the difficulty?

you may want to rephrase this.

harmony means just that ....harmony is the sound of multiple tones.

you obviously do not understand 'musical tension' when musicians use a dissonant interval for example.

a tune is simply a melody.

you are confusing pitch and tune and harmony and atonal dissonance or distortion.

the psychoacoustic interaction of tones and timbres causes more complex sounds....some tone/note combinations sound more or less "natural" when used in combination with various timbres or instrument tonalities....a good example is songs or works using harmonic timbres.

you may want to rephrase this.

Not sure why. There are many examples of two or more complementary simultaneous notes having equal weight in a tune. They are part of the tune, but neither has precedence. Is the tune on hold while they are being played?

well i think you should try to read up about the words you are using to describe what you are hearing... a tune is not a harmony and a dissonance cannot be described as a tune.

this also confirms to me that you do not understand the tune demo really well and as such should not really be using it as a judgement call.

a tune is just a sequence of notes of certain pitches.
music is more complicated than just a sequence of notes as i explained earlier and the pianist on american pie was employed because of his artful expressive playing....not because he could just hold a tune.

If you'd read the posts in question you wouldn't need me to point this out to you. If you can't be arsed to read the thread I certainly can't be bothered to explain it to you any more.

I have read every post in this thread, after all, who would be more interested than me?

Also, I don't mind if you can't be bothered to explain anything to me any more, although I will be very interested in reasoned and cogent argument for and against any idea, so long as you keep it simple enough for me to understand;)

Why don't you come and put a spanner in my spokes at Whittlebury? Let us all know how we will be able to identify you though.

He's not an engineer either...

My point being that they have an exactly equal effect on both the vertical and horizontal compliance of the subchassis...

...This mod will equally affect both vertical and horizontal compliance of the suspension equally because the subchassis does not rotate around the centre of the three spokes...

P.S. is it an insult to call someone an engineer, or not one?

well i think you should try to read up about the words you are using to describe what you are hearing... a tune is not a harmony and a dissonance cannot be described as a tune.

I didn't say a tune was a harmony, I said it could contain one. I take it back, but if you go through some Bach and take out all of the chords you're left with quite a lot of silence.

My point was simply that it's not always possible to say which note in a dyad is the tune one and which the harmony. Usually, but not always.

a dyad is only relevant if one talks about pure tones as a harmony of two different timbre will cause even more complex harmonic relationships....this is were musical tension can be made very interesting and is why orchestras sound so interesting even if playing in notes unison.

a tune describes a mono linear succession of notes....no mention of harmony i'm afraid.

as you don't seem to believe me perhaps this wiki description will help you accept this well known fact.

from wiki.....

Melodies often consist of one or more musical phrases or motifs, and are usually repeated throughout a song or piece in various forms. Melodies may also be described by their melodic motion or the pitches or the intervals between pitches (predominantly conjunct or disjunct or with further restrictions), pitch range, tension and release, continuity and coherence, cadence, and shape.

see no mention of harmony or the chordal tension i talked about.

your reasoning about dyad is wrong to, the ear will decide that.
all sound waves are additive or subtractive to the waveform so non musical tones still interact with musical tones.

lmao. The, ahem, item under initial discussion does seem rather out of keeping with everything else on the Item Audio site. Has anyone bought one of these mods? It does seem to be an out of season April Fool for the gullible to me...

advertisement

Back