advertisement

Isolation feet and speaker stands

I have found there is no magic formula as what works for one speaker and room may not necessarily work for another. I've used Townshend products for 25 years and always found they worked with only one exception. When i tried my speakers and stands on podiums the bass became loose and slow. Swapping to soundcare superspikes restored the correct balance. I have no doubt the Podiums can be excellent but for my room/speaker/stand combo unfortunately it didn't work. However with Tonshends excellent return policy I was able to return them with no loss.

Are the AUVA EQ's sitting below the existing feet on the Nait ? Ideally they work better when in contact with the chassis of the component. Perhaps give that a try?

Sure, I will have to experiment. Also to use 3 or 4 (because it’s not only about a balance, you change a number of chambers that way). And how many of those I want for the system in general.

Are the AUVA EQ's sitting below the existing feet on the Nait ? Ideally they work better when in contact with the chassis of the component. Perhaps give that a try?

Sure, I will have to experiment. Also to use 3 or 4 (because it’s not only about a balance, you change a number of chambers that way). And how many of those I want for the system in general.
At the moment I am evaluating that very conundrum I have put 3 of the Stack Audio Auva 50's under the feet of my Hydraulic Reference TT plus one at the rear to take the pivoting lid support the oak cone feet are centered in the threaded adapter screw holes.

I will then try 4 feet under the TT using the adapter screws & fittings.

Auva-50-HR-TT.jpg

Nait is the next to be Stacked:

I tried 4 Stack Audio Auva 50's under the Hydraulic Reference TT without removing the now hovering TT feet or the dimpled locating discs, the conundrum is solved for me in my situation using 4 x Auva 50's was very good, sonically superior to using 3 Auva 50's via the fitted feet.
I used the fitting adapters that screw into the Auva 50's then used 2 of the thumb nuts locked at the top to spread the load since I thought the adapters could have dug into the plywood TT base see the photo.

I also tried a vibration detector app on my phone. I do not know what the numerical base is for the app, when my phone was placed on the lounge table at 12-14 feet away even on louder parts of several LP's it remained 00.00 I placed my phone on the TT lid when it was closed whilst playing a record the maximum using 3 Auva 50's was 00.04 on peaks but mostly 00.00, using the same methodology using the same LP's with 4 Auva 50's the maximum on peaks was 00.01. The TT sits 7"-8" above & 10"-12" behind the right speaker. When I placed my phone flat on the pavingstone shelf 00.00 on peaks indicating to me the vibration my phone detected was airborne.

What other vibrations the 4 Auva 50's absorbed I can only guess at but the effect was impressive, I was not in a position to compare the Auva 50's with Auva EQ's which are designed for the purpose that for me would mean removing the 3 standard feet, I played The Singles by the Carpenters there was more bass content than I have heard before, Karen Carpenter's voice sweeter, breathier, with more body instruments clearer better soundstage. Every one of my usual test records had a similar result.

I hope this is of some use to those who wondered what was the best way to go, though I must say the Auva 70 feet on the OTA Quad 57's is the biggest effect, now I have 4 other Auva 50'S might tuck them under the Croft phono stage.

I

Last edited:
I tried 4 Stack Audio Auva 50's under the Hydraulic Reference TT without removing the now hovering TT feet or the dimpled locating discs, the conundrum is solved for me in my situation using 4 x Auva 50's was very good, sonically superior to using 3 Auva 50's via the fitted feet.
I used the fitting adapters that screw into the Auva 50's then used 2 of the thumb nuts locked at the top to spread the load since I thought the adapters could have dug into the plywood TT base see the photo.

I also tried a vibration detector app on my phone. I do not know what the numerical base is for the app, when my phone was placed on the lounge table at 12-14 feet away even on louder parts of several LP's it remained 00.00 I placed my phone on the TT lid when it was closed whilst playing a record the maximum using 3 Auva 50's was 00.04 on peaks but mostly 00.00, using the same methodology using the same LP's with 4 Auva 50's the maximum on peaks was 00.01. The TT sits 7"-8" above & 10"-12" behind the right speaker. When I placed my phone flat on the pavingstone shelf 00.00 on peaks indicating to me the vibration my phone detected was airborne.

What other vibrations the 4 Auva 50's absorbed I can only guess at but the effect was impressive, I was not in a position to compare the Auva 50's with Auva EQ's which are designed for the purpose that for me would mean removing the 3 standard feet, I played The Singles by the Carpenters there was more bass content than I have heard before, Karen Carpenter's voice sweeter, breathier, with more body instruments clearer better soundstage. Every one of my usual test records had a similar result.

I hope this is of some use to those who wondered what was the best way to go, though I must say the Auva 70 feet on the OTA Quad 57's is the biggest effect, now I have 4 other Auva 50'S might tuck them under the Croft phono stage.

I
Great write up, thanks for sharing..

I
I put 4 Stack Audio Auva 50's under the Croft phono stage in a Vitale case but not with Vitale internals made by Mr Croft was asked to make one by Len Gregory who used a Croft to develop his Cartridgeman cartridges & since Len having heard my system & after I bought a Musicmaker cartridge, used me to help test/develop some of his products.

This phono stage was fitted with a different transformer so that I could use 6.3v as well as 12.6v valves & subsequently fitted with 2 SUT's connected to the Croft circuitry thus enabling me to use a Hana ML moving coil whilst retaining the ability to play moving iron/magnet cartridges, this was all done by my friend Mark Manwaring-White of Malvern Audio Research.

My wife who has tinnitus is shopping today. The sound from the system after placing the Auva 50's without anything in the screw holes. underneath the Croft was indefinably better though certainly not a night & day difference. When I tried the Auva 50's under my Hydraulic Reference TT fitting the adapters in the 4 Auva 50's screw holes made a big difference, So I took my Dremel & cutting disc to a pair of 30mm M8 bolts (the provided stainless steel adapters are to nice to spoil) once cut they were screwed in & locked the heads only protrude a little above the Auva 50's but should to my take on these things concentrate vibrations into the Auva 50's bearing in mind these are designed for speakers not Like the Auva EQ'S (equipment isolators) that have a slightly different methodology having no screw hole an Auva chamber & a silicon absorber.

Tomorrow my wife is granny sitting for our youngest granddaughter, I will try the adapted Auva 50's again.

Well, that was an interesting follow up exercise, bear in mind I have Auva 70's under the OTA Quad 57's on Rupert stands the change wrought to them is stunning I wrote "as if on steroids". I have Auva EQ 2 under the Rogue Atlas Magnum power amp, Auva EQ 1 under the MC7R pre amp & Auva 50's under the Hydraulic Reference turntable so you would think the law of diminishing returns would be fast approaching, though apparently not.

Inserting short bolts into the Auva 50's with spring washers under the heads for the Croft phono stage to sit on, rather than without ie. just threaded holes, the use of the bolts, further improved the bass yet again the midrange is oh so open as is the treble, on some tracks the singer is projected forward in the soundstage as presumably the recording engineer intended on others the lead instrument, the gains are beyond my vocabulary the system or more properly the LP music is simply sounding in Goldilocks style ie. "Just right" as to whether Auva EQ's would be better still or different would be supposition on my part

Like previous Auva's I have used after a couple of hours the sound is improving further as I am listening, the signal valves I use in the Croft are 6NP2 EV OS very vibration resistant valves/tubes from the Russian space program & an 6N23P as a cathode follower also vibration resistant. However, are any of the internals actually creating vibration or is it all or mostly airborne? whatever the Auva Chambers seem to be absorbing something from somewhere. Listening to a very relaxed mono Pet Sounds vinyl LP (Beach Boys) though a central image, it has a depth/layer of sounds that was almost absent before as were some of the unusual background sounds, I'm now able to hear emerging from a silent background..

There is/was an added bonus. Because of space considerations in the alcove the equipment sits, my Cambridge CD4se that I use as a CD transport sits on the Croft with a light but solid 1" deep wood & plastic frame with isolating "bumpers" top & bottom, sits between the Croft & CD4se, this is to allow the plethora of ventilation holes in the Croft to do their job. Playing CD's there is also an improvement commensurate with the vinyl replay, as with the phono stage instruments are fixed clearly in space but with space around them. I'm listening to Minnie Riperton she is singing "Loving You" the birds in the background sound so real.

I have spent the last 44 years with Quad 57's in this flat/apartment trying to get to this engaging musical zenith, what could be the next route will take some consideration.

Well, that was an interesting follow up exercise, bear in mind I have Auva 70's under the OTA Quad 57's on Rupert stands the change wrought to them is stunning I wrote "as if on steroids". I have Auva EQ 2 under the Rogue Atlas Magnum power amp, Auva EQ 1 under the MC7R pre amp & Auva 50's under the Hydraulic Reference turntable so you would think the law of diminishing returns would be fast approaching, though apparently not.

Inserting short bolts into the Auva 50's with spring washers under the heads for the Croft phono stage to sit on, rather than without ie. just threaded holes, the use of the bolts, further improved the bass yet again the midrange is oh so open as is the treble, on some tracks the singer is projected forward in the soundstage as presumably the recording engineer intended on others the lead instrument, the gains are beyond my vocabulary the system or more properly the LP music is simply sounding in Goldilocks style ie. "Just right" as to whether Auva EQ's would be better still or different would be supposition on my part

Like previous Auva's I have used after a couple of hours the sound is improving further as I am listening, the signal valves I use in the Croft are 6NP2 EV OS very vibration resistant valves/tubes from the Russian space program & an 6N23P as a cathode follower also vibration resistant. However, are any of the internals actually creating vibration or is it all or mostly airborne? whatever the Auva Chambers seem to be absorbing something from somewhere. Listening to a very relaxed mono Pet Sounds vinyl LP (Beach Boys) though a central image, it has a depth/layer of sounds that was almost absent before as were some of the unusual background sounds, I'm now able to hear emerging from a silent background..

There is/was an added bonus. Because of space considerations in the alcove the equipment sits, my Cambridge CD4se that I use as a CD transport sits on the Croft with a light but solid 1" deep wood & plastic frame with isolating "bumpers" top & bottom, sits between the Croft & CD4se, this is to allow the plethora of ventilation holes in the Croft to do their job. Playing CD's there is also an improvement commensurate with the vinyl replay, as with the phono stage instruments are fixed clearly in space but with space around them. I'm listening to Minnie Riperton she is singing "Loving You" the birds in the background sound so real.

I have spent the last 44 years with Quad 57's in this flat/apartment trying to get to this engaging musical zenith, what could be the next route will take some consideration.
Excellent write up, thanks for sharing your findings.

As part of my system upgrades, I plan to order 5 sets of Stack Audio Auva EQ's, incl: 1 x set of CSA 1's, 3 x sets of CSA 2's and 1 x set of CSA 3's. Though if I bought a tt, such as a resto'd Garrard 401, these would be my preferred iso feet.

Last edited:
I'm listening to Alchemy (Dire Straits) their first live LP, today unusually the outside temperature is 26 deg plus & humid it's very Sunny.

On Friday the 22nd of July 1983 I was working around & in The Hammersmith Odeon it was hot Dire Straights were recording what is now Alchemy. They were also recording on Saturday the 23rd July, the recordings were being done in the Rolling Stones mobile unit which was parked at the rear.

Inside the Odeon was very hot & sweaty as am I now. The music & audience noise I'm listening to is very close to what I heard on those 2 nights 42 years ago though I admit at a slightly lower volume, the Auvas in all their incarnations 50's 70's & EQ's have wrought an improvement in my system that exceeds the previous 45 plus years of any careful gradual improvements, the cumulative Auva effect has occurred over a just few weeks.

advertisement

Back