advertisement

Isolation feet and speaker stands

My brother in law has just put a set of Auva EQ’s below his Garrard.

Yet to hear if they make a difference, though I would be surprised if they don’t they do with everything else.

Sure, I would not leave them if it was not a worthwhile improvement. But Soundcare is a good value for money.
You found this even on carpet? I have the super spikes on a piece of granite on carpet. Interested as looking at these or Gaia 2’s👍🏻

You found this even on carpet? I have the super spikes on a piece of granite on carpet. Interested as looking at these or Gaia 2’s👍🏻

afaik they’re supposed to work on every surface, there’re spikes included to connect to the floor underneath the carpet but I don’t use them

My brother in law has just put a set of Auva EQ’s below his Garrard.

Yet to hear if they make a difference, though I would be surprised if they don’t they do with everything else.
Has your brother in law or you had a chance to listen to the Garrard TT with the Auva EQ's in place if so what his/your conclusions

Putting three or four 'legs' on the bottom of the 'speaker' is not going to damp much at all. In your example, the towel is damping the bell, not the support. So like damping the loudspeaker cabinet. That would work to a degree, as many 'speakers' are made of mdf or ply, but these materials are very poor at damping. Isolate the 'speaker' and the vibrations will last for a long time, and increase in amplitude.
Good evening, I would like to know what people here think about let the stand mount speaker get some extra weight close to the cabinet of the speaker.

Previously custom pieces of marble were made, one placed under the cabinet, one on top. The idea was to make the speaker cabinet as vibration-free as possible.

Interesting, but I guess there are different kind of requirements to absorb a milling machine vibrations compared to the very fine vibrations coming from a loudspeaker.
Do very fine vibrations require absorption?

Based on my experience with GAIA and Auva, I’d definitely say that speakers can benefit of decoupling/absorption. Of course coupling the speakers to the floor is also a perfectly valid method. I changed spikes + spike feets back last week and actually prefer them in some things. This comparison happened with the 3cm thick granite slabs under the speakers. Then I tried to remove the heavy granite slabs and put Auvas back, which took the speakers 3cm lower than before (otherwise they're exactly on the same spot, to the millimetre). Now there's more depth and strength in the bass than before. I'll continue experimenting to see what's the best method in the end, but the differences are easy to hear.

In short yes.

Yesterday my multi skilled technician son John came over, I played the CD while(1<2) deadmau5 that he introduced me to, the is full of very low bass notes, John was sitting side on & quite close 7-8 feet to the right hand OTA Quad 57 speaker on it's OTA Rupert stand he noticed there was an audible buzzing/vibration. I sit 10-12 feet away from the speakers face on.

We found that the R/H speaker on it's OTA Rupert stands under which are 6mm threaded inserts for the 4 x Auva 50's had slight movement when rocked too & fro from the top. John who is much more nimble than me adjusted the Auva 50's more precisely than I had done, thankfully the L/H speaker & stand was pretty solid.

On playing the CD again the buzzing/vibration had gone. So in this specific instance allowing the Auva 50's to do their job as designed, by removing extraneous movement had a slight improvement in the sound above what I detailed on fitting the Auva 50's particularly even tighter bass, & cleaner trebble.

I acknowledged the need for proper adjustment in post 39 when I readjusted the Auva 50's on the second day of use.
My take from this is that correct adjustment allows the Auva 50's & by extrapolation Auva EQ's to work removing vibration.

Quick ques if I may - I've read the thread and not seen if anyone has had any joy fitting isolation feet to SS6 stands? I currently have my speakers atop Atacama Pads, but thinking of Gaia Puck Mini - would utilising both (if the stands can be done) be too much?

Quick ques if I may - I've read the thread and not seen if anyone has had any joy fitting isolation feet to SS6 stands? I currently have my speakers atop Atacama Pads, but thinking of Gaia Puck Mini - would utilising both (if the stands can be done) be too much?
I am a newcomer to all this after nearly 60 years of hi fi I have only recently discovered the joy of preventing vibration with Addis discs a la Windhoek of this forum, now with Auva 50's & Auva EQ's absorption of vibration.
I have no knowledge of the footers you mention however my experience in other fields, suggests that combining 2 good products could be magical or dire, unless others have tried the combination & can give more information as to ya or na the result is in the lap of the gods.

On playing the CD again the buzzing/vibration had gone. So in this specific instance allowing the Auva 50's to do their job as designed, by removing extraneous movement had a slight improvement in the sound above what I detailed on fitting the Auva 50's particularly even tighter bass, & cleaner trebble.

But weren't the Auva's in place when the speaker was vibrating?
It sounds like the the problem was the misadjustment and correcting that solved it, not the feet themselves (though they may very well be an improvement over spikes or other more common speaker/floor interface).

From where I was sitting I never heard the buzz John is 29 & has exceptional hearing as I once had. Whether the vibration/buzzing was a misadjusted Auva 50 is difficult to say. Our laminate floor is past it's sell by date so was it the floor that had settled or did I not adjust the Auva 50's 100% correctly? where the buzz came from, we have no idea, whilst the buzz was unwanted could even have been our new settee or the airborne deep bass causing the knackered floor to vibrate & 2 of us both big men walking on the floor cured/stopped it, however If it was the one Auva 50 no vibration was/had been felt through the floor if it was the Auva 50 the other 3 Auva 50's were doing their job since the post Auva 50 sound even with only 3 working near to 100% If that is/was the case that an Auva 50 was incorrectly adjusted they were distinctly better than before they were fitted & now with all 4 at 100% better still "(though they may very well be an improvement over spikes or other more common speaker/floor interface)" They are."I acknowledged the need for proper adjustment in post 39 when I tightened the locking arrangement on the Auva 50's on their second day of use.

My take from this is that correct adjustment allows the Auva 50's & by extrapolation Auva EQ's to work removing by absorbing vibration converting it to heat even when not all are correctly adjusted & working at 100% as designed. This would only apply when using 4 x Auva 50's or EQ's & probably would not occur using 3 x triangulated Auva, whether 50's or EQ's .

I'm now wondering whether Auva 70's each with 3 Auva chambers could/would offer more to my OTA Quad 57's than single Auva chamber Auva 50's? As I previously had noted on another forum "Touching a OTA Quad 57 frame after fitting the Auva 50's playing music the perceived vibration is reduced in amplitude. Theo Stack did say as the contents of the 50's settle they should improve things further. After 3 hours that appears to be verified" Reduced in amplitude not entirely removed, but it is the interface with the floor that is their raison d'être.

Last edited:

I am using Atacama gel pads atop Atacama SLX stands to support my Harbeth Super HL5 Plus speakers. The Atacama stands are filled two thirds the way up with Atabytes and have fitted AUVA 50's below the stands using the shorter spikes on a carpeted concrete floor. All seems to work very well together and I am very pleased with the overall sound production.

The SS6 are slightly angled so need a degree of flex in any footer, I know the Gaia do as I have them on my Sonus Fabers, not sure if the stack audio ones would work. I can’t find anyone that has used the stack audio ones with solid steel stands.

I’m actually just waiting for a second set of Gaia to arrive for my SS6 so can give feedback when they arrive. I’ve used Isoacoustics mini isopods between the speaker and stand but my current speakers seem to prefer blutack, hence why I’m giving the footers a try.

Upgraded from Soundcare Superspikes to Stack Audio AUVA 50

HI Tom,

It's a wooden parquette floor over concrete element (I live in an apartment building). Between the parquette and concrete there is some kind of dampening material, which I think, is mandatory in Finnish construction laws. Between the parquette and Auva 50's, I left 3cm thick granite slabs still in place. I might later try to remove the granite slabs. I have a two year old kid running around here and I'm slightly affraid that some day she'll knock down the speakers from top of the granite slabs. Especially with the Auva's, having felt under them, makes them quite slippery. Even though the ATC's weigh over 50kg/speaker, they can be slid on the granite and if they go over the edges, they can tip over. Here's a picture I snapped while installing the Auvas, you can see my old spike + Linn Skeets in the pic also. Luckily Auva's are about the same height so the change of height of the speakers wasn't the reason for the difference in sound quality. I also took distance measurements before installing the Auvas, so that the speakers are exactly on the same distance from surfaces as before.

But weren't the Auva's in place when the speaker was vibrating?
It sounds like the the problem was the misadjustment and correcting that solved it, not the feet themselves (though they may very well be an improvement over spikes or other more common speaker/floor interface).

The SS6 are slightly angled so need a degree of flex in any footer, I know the Gaia do as I have them on my Sonus Fabers, not sure if the stack audio ones would work. I can’t find anyone that has used the stack audio ones with solid steel stands.

I’m actually just waiting for a second set of Gaia to arrive for my SS6 so can give feedback when they arrive. I’ve used Isoacoustics mini isopods between the speaker and stand but my current speakers seem to prefer blutack, hence why I’m giving the footers a try.
Chris Marshall I found these on this thread if you look a Stack Audio references for Auva 50's, 70's & 100's on the internet there seem as many metal as wood applications like mine with the OTA Quad 57's on OTA Rupert stands.

I wanted to ask you guys is there a worthwhile difference between the performance of the Stack Audio AuVa 70 and 100's? My only concern with the 100's is they could look very wide and bulky under small-medium size speakers. Cheers.

I wanted to ask you guys is there a worthwhile difference between the performance of the Stack Audio AuVa 70 and 100's? My only concern with the 100's is they could look very wide and bulky under small-medium size speakers. Cheers.
Bodhi I honestly don't know I have only had the Auva 50's for a short while under the OTA Quad 57's & Rupert stands, with excellent results It is an itch I may have to scratch certainly with Auva 70's. I feel an email to Stack Audio coming on..

As for the esthetics under various speakers the 100's are 4" across with 5 Auva chambers each I would suggest 50's or 70's are more applicable, my OTA Quads on Auva 50's look ok & 70's probably as I have seen pictures off Rupert stands with 100's as below looking ok.
Screenshot-2023-04-14-at-12-34-50-result-1024x784.jpg

advertisement

Back