advertisement

Isolation feet and speaker stands

Seems to me if you use the pads, you impede the vibrations from the equipment to the device. Makes no sense to me!
I don't use them personally as they are best used without. I simply stated that they are supplied with them if anyone cares to use them, that's all.

over the years i have years many many isolation devices ranging from our very own sonoritys wonder stuff which were superb ...but the kit on top tends to slide about which can be a problem . stillpoints too similar . black ravioli good , townshend excellent , spring types had acrylic tops , now i really like iso acoustics which have rubber tops which grip , dont damage the kit and do make a difference , especially to speakers
Those devices you mention are all supposed isolation devices.

The Stack product is stated to be an absorption product for the equipment sitting on the metal surface and an isolation product from the shelf or floor the device sits on. Metal to metal will promote vibrations between the equipment and the device, rubber to metal would impede those vibrations which defeats the purpose of the device making it strictly an isolation device.

apart from the sonority which is suppossed to drain vibration

Whilst Sonority wereexperimenting with all the variousmaterials and configurations, itrapidly became apparent that theproblem of isolating the equipmentfrom the outside world was onlypart of the story. Drawing internalresonance out of the electronicsthemselves was just as important,hence the upward facing conesdesigned to bypass the supportedunit’s feet and couple the chassisdirectly to the dispersive layers ofthe platform. T

If the weight range of the speakers + stands is in the sweet spot for the Gaia III's, then yes you could use those feet no problem. But just check to see the available thread sizes for the feet match your stands.
I am currently using Stack Auva 50’s below Atacama SLX stands and Harbeth SHL5 Plus speakers. They are available in a range of thread sizes to suit most speakers and stands. They work very well indeed.

I haven't heard of those particular feet. Personally the next speaker iso feet I plan to buy will be Carbide Audio Base Micro footers in Black with the red (heavy) Micro ViscoRings and sapphire inserts.
Maybe you should see this guys reaction to the Auva’s.

Got my verity audio floorstanders on iso puck 76 at the moment and they sound simply divine with texture , engaging smooth sound and superb imaging but one always likes to play with other stuff

If you can find some then Nordost Pulsar Points are excellent in place of spikes whether on floorstanders or speaker stand.

The well constructed deceptively simple Stack Audio Auva EQ's arrived today this time 4 x CSA-1's to support 0-4 kg each, I had removed the 4 round feet from the bottom of the 11 kg MC7R preamp yesterday in anticipation, I slipped the Auva EQ's under the MC7R where the feet had been, to be square just the front right needed adjusting by a few millimeters achieved by rotating the synthetic base insert. The MC7R is also behind the right OTA Quad 57.

I don't think you needed to be gifted with clairvoyance/second sight to assess that I would experience another boost in resolution/sound. though not just higher resolution equally there is added realism, yes now greater fine detail, but so much less hurry no struggle to hear it, the removal of more audio detritus is as if everything has slowed down Listening/watching a Virgin box a 2012 recording of Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds (The New Generation) I had bought the original double LP on it's release in 1978 & have seen The New Generation stage show several times at a couple of venues including the O2 where this recording & the DVD were made. The Sky box recording now has a similar visceral feel to watching the show at a/the large open venue.

Listening/watching another Virgin box recording this time of a 1974 Mike Oldfield live performance of Tubular Bells, this could/had sound a smidgen congested in places, with several performers rather than Mike Oldfield's original discreet solo individual tracking for the LP (yes I bought it at the time) now so relaxed the individual musical components though individual all work together so well, the xylophone when struck just sounds so right, steel guitar strings sound different to gut/nylon ones & the tubular bells resonate perfectly.

Yet another Virgin box recording, recorded in Beijing, Carmina Burana with a massed choirs' Women one side Men the other of the large orchestra again more relaxed more detail & reality & dynamics not usually associated with Quad 57's

Norah Jones at Ronnie Scott's again off the virgin box I'm one of the audience sitting at a table, her trio is 10-12 feet away.

On a selection of Virgin box recordings of Indian music, with Sitar the effect/sound of the drone strings & sympathetic strings are clearer, the sound of Sarod has similar sympathetic strings normally difficult to hear, not now.
On one performance a double ended drum called a Mridangam was projected into the room,

I have listened to all of my usual musical fare when listening since I have no wish to have two many variables, with the latest addition of Auva EQ's under the MC7R, my consensus is more relaxed, greater detail, smoother but not pipe & slippers I actually perceive more treble & mid range, if the bass is deeper I can't tell but it is definitely cleaner somehow the note of double bass are not muddied/muddled together in any way.

On playing my Quadraphonic version LP of Dark Side of the Moon, The best version I have heard the studio tapes were used for the 5-1 DVD. A gift at the time from EMI after I found the home address of the CEO in Tatler, addressing to him a letter of complaint about the unavailability of the album despite their constant advertising.
The opening heartbeats are deeper than I remember again seemingly slower with more body.

Other music not mentioned, Virgin box recordings Cat's 1999 not the recent crap film, performances of Indian classical music including Tabla,Sitar,Rudra Veena,flute's etc, The Shadows farewell tour concert & highlights of orchestral recordings including The Messiah (Handel) with Iestyn Davies countertenor, on CD while(1<2)(deadmau5), LP's Transformer (lou Reed) Snowflakes are Dancing (Tomita)LP Tapestry (Carole King)LP, Wish you Were Here (floyd).

Last edited:
What did you use before big john ?
I used nothing for decades, then when Windhoek posted on this forum about his using Addis sink protector discs as isolation devices I made multilayer versions, better than nothing, they did have a positive effect & cost bugger all. The Stack Audio Auva 50's & Auva EQ's are not just in a different league they are a totally different ball game as above.

By way of an addendum: like the Auva 50's under the OTA Rupert speaker stands & the EQ's under the power amp, after a few hours playing the Auva chamber with metallic particles seem to have settled as Josh at Stack Audio said they would, allowing just a little more of everything good to be heard & as noted on a Youtube video by an Australian audiophile that I watched today, I have just realised sitting down with bare feet, there are no vibrations in the floor, I did not pick up on it previously.

By way of an addendum: like the Auva 50's under the OTA Rupert speaker stands & the EQ's under the power amp, after a few hours playing the Auva chamber with metallic particles seem to have settled as Josh at Stack Audio said they would, allowing just a little more of everything good to be heard & as noted on a Youtube video by an Australian audiophile that I watched today, I have just realised sitting down with bare feet, there are no vibrations in the floor, I did not pick up on it previously.

Pleased to hear that you are enjoying the Auva EQ’s and 50’s. My own personal experience has been very similar to yours. Enjoy!

Pleased to hear that you are enjoying the Auva EQ’s and 50’s. My own personal experience has been very similar to yours. Enjoy!
Alun Rains Thank you, it is good to have confirmation that the effects of the Auva EQ's are shared by others & seems to work in a similar fashion regardless of system & room. It makes it viable for me to recommend them to friends.

The amount of noise/detritus that the sets of AUVA 50's & Auva EQ's have removed from the sound is astounding, I remember decades ago if when playing Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon if on listening to track 3 On the Run It was printed in magazines that if you could hear any of the words included in the indistinct Tannoy announcement you had a good system/cartridge, I could hear with my very much younger ears "Flight 255 for Rome,Cairo & Lagos" indistinct then repeated with footsteps.

Today playing the Virgin box recording after revisiting a couple of times to confirm with my now 75 year old ears, I heard the words "Have your baggage and passport ready and then follow the green line to customs and immigration. BA two five five to Rome, Cairo and Lagos." No word "flight" spoken. I played my Quadraphonic LP with the same result...

That alone is confirmation of the effects of the Auva EQ's have & from comments on other forums these effects are shared by others & seem to work in most cases in a similar fashion regardless of system & room. It makes it viable for me to recommend them to friends.

advertisement

Back