advertisement

Isobarik Query??

I
Could you explain why David?

Stephen
I am genuinely interested in that as well. When I had a Linn 6 pack isobarik system, a guy I knew at Linn asked me to stick a piece of MDF over the top units and convey my feelings. I then realised they were just about to announce the keltiks and wanted feedback. Obviously I never disconnected the units, but when they were blanked off it was definitely much for the worse. It may be different passively driven but I wouldn't have thought so.
So keen to hear your take on this
David.

We often have to run our Aktiv Briks with their “Cat Protection” Lids fitted (when the kitties are on the prowl). The lids are inch thick foam stuck onto on a sheet of plywood, so pretty much what Bob B. suggested.

We very much prefer the sound with the lids off.

Hi Richard, fundamentally there is nothing wrong with what you have. I would get it going correctly and then assess what if anything to do then.

Personally I would not be travelling up and down to Cymbiosis. I would be looking to work with someone local and competent, for example, Audio projects or SO to get the system as it stands singing.

For me that would be

1) getting all the tweeters swapped out for new Scanspeaks (sans Ferrofluid, and big glob of glue on their backs). Drivers correctly tightened
2) Getting the Bariks sat on their stands correctly so they do not rock around at all.
3) New grills and a damn good cabinet polish for the Bariks to get them looking good.
4) Equipment correctly positioned, i.e not between the speakers. Make sure all cables are 'good'.

And then see what you think. It'll take the SNAXO a few days to get going in any case. I would not be any rush to drop money on anything when I don't have a good apreciation of what I already have.

So contact Hamish at SO, or perhaps ply Dave Ellwood with beer and curry....

Martin,

I live in Aberdeenshire so my local dealer would be Robert Ritchie in Montrose. When I lived in Leeds I initially dealt with Audio Projects then for reasons which weren't entirely clear it was suggested to me that I deal with Hamish at SO which I did until I moved up to Aberdeenshire from Lincolnshire. I had nothing but excellent service from both dealers.

My reasons for going to Cymbiosis related to Darran wanting the Karik delivering rather than being posted (if I wanted it looking at) and in, in any case I had 7 Naim units which ended servicing. It was as simple to drive down with what amounted to 10 pieces of equipment (1off Karik and 2 Numericks in addition to Naim equipment) + the LP12.

Whilst other Linn dealers may have excellent facilities many would have to concede that the LP12 set-up at Cymbiosis takes some beating.

You have a point wrt setting things up and this was something Peter touched upon - I suspect plenty of photo's and EM's will be the order of the day when it comes to re-establishing the system.

I may have an inside line on a pair of late Isobariks - driver status currently unknown, more will be known later in the week.

Jerry at Falcon Acoustic has suggested maybe starting with replacing the B110 units as a first step.

Replacing the tweeters with Hiquphon OW11 units will cost in the region of £600.

One step at a time.

Regards

Richard

The main reason for having the upward firing drivers was to make the crossover design simpler.

They simply used a pair of crossovers per speaker and they needed the extra drivers to create identical loads for the rear B139 crossover.

once active you are no longer at the mercy of drivers loading the filters and you have the freedom to remove them.

once removed you are reducing the total output of the speaker and changing the way it puts energy into the room.

The output the barik puts into the ceiling is received by the listener as an increased first reflection and it has the effect of blurring the image and timing of the speaker.

if you have your speakers properly installed it will initially sound worse because after the change you will need to do a complete re install of the speakers.

If you have a pair of late bariks they will have B110B mid drivers and there are no replacements for these at the moment.

Given how little they are taxed in an active setup they should be good for a few years yet and I havent heard of a pair requiring replacement.

B139's however are a different story and can fail , but falcons reissues are superb and handle twice the power. (you need to change all four at once though)

The original Hyquaphons fitted to Bariks are excellent and i'd stick with them if they are OK.

Hi Richard,

Crikey, Aberdeen to Sheffield and Leicester, you have some stamina! I recall that Robert Richie was (or perhaps still is) a Linn dealer and go back many years (certainly to when Bariks) were current, so might be a good point of contact.

I’d be surprised if the B110s had suffered from cat abuse(dust caps still ok?). Hence Id leave them. As to the tweeters, I was actually thinking of the Scanspeak D2008 - as fitted before the Hiquaphons wre standard. They’re about £70 each so less than £300 exfitting.

The main reason for having the upward firing drivers was to make the crossover design simpler.

What do you base that claim on?

The output the barik puts into the ceiling is received by the listener as an increased first reflection and it has the effect of blurring the image and timing of the speaker.

Indeed, but at the same time creating that special sense of space unique to the briks and other speaker designs (like the Carlsson ones) that use the room in a different way than normal forward-firing speakers. You might not like the effect, but it is what makes the briks special.

The original Hyquaphons fitted to Bariks are excellent and i'd stick with them if they are OK.

I agree.

What do you base that claim on?

Since I cant quote sources I cant base that claim on anything.

As for what makes Bariks special? For me its the Dynamics, Timing and Tunefulness, all of which get better after the upward drivers are deleted.

I would also say that the imaging gets much more expansive and the ability to localise instruments improves, like there is less hash coming out.

I enjoyed isobariks for more than thirty years before finally getting up the nerve to try this mod so its not like I think standard bariks arent great.

But I wont be going back.

Good Afternoon All,

I'm now back in the UK but at the flat in Aberdeen. As I'm not 100% sure as to the Serial No.'s of my speakers or which tweeters are fitted Ill be heading out to the house overnight/ tomorrow to both grab my kayaking gear for tomorrow evening which will allow me to physically check and take pictures of what I have........

Regards

Richard

Good Morning All,

OK so I might head in a slightly tangential direction. SWMBO advised me last night she's doesn't really like the black finish Isobariks..........

There is a pair for sale by PureSound but they are the DMS version with 6 'perfect' drivers.

The other pair I'm waiting on details/ photo's for are later 1991 PMS c/w external crossovers.

Does anybody here have a set of dealer instructions on how to modify DMS's to PMS's? I should have the external crossovers for mine somewhere still (even though I won't need them).

Regards

Richard

I don't have sources either but my guess on the top-firing speakers is that it was all the rage back then. Remember Bose? He changed a lot of thinking with his 901's and the "direct vs reflected" sound based on measurements in real auditoriums. Whether that applies to the average listening room or not is another story, but many speakers from that era had reflecting speakers in them.

The biggest issue with my Briks were the fact that I got a whole different sense of the music if I stood up vs sat down to listen. I believed the difference was coming from the top firing speakers, giving you more "direct" sound if you stand up and less if you sat down. I recently improved this aspect of the Briks by simply laying a piece of wood about 3 cm thick X 6.5 cm tall X width of the cabinet (about 33 cm) just in front of the speaker recess on top (see photo). This had an immediate effect of improving imaging both standing and sitting while not messing up the total energy balance of the speaker. While this will not make them image like more modern speakers, they more than make up for that with their dynamics (for me).

IMG_3933.JPG

Wow, they is vintage!

The original owner told me they were the last pair to come off the American production line of Briks. Made in or near New York City I believe. Not sure of the dates but that line apparently made about 200 pair. The original owner's wife insisted that he paint them white to match the living room decor (!) so when I bought them, I stripped them and did a little bit of wood staining. After painting, stain doesn't take very well so they're very light oak colored now. Had to build my own grills because there were none when I got them. All 4 tweeters have been replaced (after I blew them out) and two of the woofers are used replacements. Still sounds great! There's nothing like an Isobarik for pure socko!

These were originally passive but I converted them to active about 20 years ago. As was said elsewhere, never going back!

If they are active they could probably use bringing away from the wall a few inches.

I normally find somewhere between five and eight inches works well. Obviously requires proper tuning but they look very close.

Good Morning Guys,

Interesting how things appear on eBay when they are discussed on associated forums. There is a rash of Karik's for sale on eBay currently for instance! OK so a pair of late Isobariks has just come up on eBay at what was Huddersfield Hi-Fi, more photo's have been put up and the state of the units has been verified so at the price advertised (half what was wanted for the other pair I was aware of) and them being not far from where I'll be next week I've gone and bought them.

Now what to do with the old ones............

Regards

Richard

I’ve owned a pair of DMS Isobariks since 1983 used them form over 30 years with Naim amplification 32.5, Hi-Cap and 250. Then about four years ago went to Grad 1, TPX2 and Witch Hat moonlight monos and i’m extremely happy with the system the speakers are still in the same place when they were installed by the Sound Organisation of Borough Market.

Regards,

Martin

Good Afternoon All,

I see the late Isobariks were apparently 'blessed' with a Ku-stone modification - Googling doesn't seem to offer any ready explanations (possibly operator error???) - is there any knowledgeable individual here who can explain or point to learned articles.

Most importantly was it considered a sonic advantage by those who may have heard them?

Regards

Richard
I’ve owned a pair of DMS Isobariks since 1983 used them form over 30 years with Naim amplification 32.5, Hi-Cap and 250. Then about four years ago went to Grad 1, TPX2 and Witch Hat moonlight monos and i’m extremely happy with the system the speakers are still in the same place when they were installed by the Sound Organisation of Borough Market.

Regards,

Martin
Martin,

So this will be before SO moved up to York then??

Regards

Richard

Yes when they were based in London near the Southwark Cathedral first went there if memory serves well in 1982.

I meant to add those were the days when Roger and Hamish were running the shop and Derek Jenkins was the turntable man, greatly missed by all who knew him.

Regards,

Martin

advertisement

Back