advertisement

Isobarik Query??

Richard Lines

pfm Member
Good Evening All,

As I have posted elsewhere (other forums if not here) I'm resurrecting my system after it effectively laying dormant for almost 20 years.

My NAC82 c/w Supercap, SNAXO c/w Hicap and 3off NAP250's are being service by Darran at Class A. He's also looking at my old, early, Karik (sent back to Linn in 1997 to have a Brilliant PSU retro-fitted through Hamish at the Sound Organisation)/ Numerik combo.

I have recently bought 2off Numerik's with the later chips and slimline Brilliant PSU and also another Karik III. I should have a working (better sounding) pair between these units and 'spares'.

The LP12 has somehow suffered damage to the Arkiv cartridge cantilever and needing servicing (with apologies to any number of dealers between Aberdeenshire and Leicestershire) as I was down in Sheffield it wasn't so far to Cymbiosis so I arranged a visit to see Peter Swain.

It was an interesting opportunity to hear almost every possible combination of LP12 upgrade available and through an active Naim system in to Kudos Titan 808's.

I was able to discern differences between each deck combination played, even between the machined and unmachined Radikal.

I ended up having the Radikal and Keel upgrade and the damaged cartridge was replaced with a Krystal. Unfortunately there is damage to the arm wiring and some friction in the horizontal bearing so the arm is now heading to Audio Origami.

Essentially I've now dealt with the sources and amplification (streaming will have to wait) so this leaves the speakers. The thread title kind of gives what they are away..........

These were last played briefly some 3 years ago so were working then.

I have owned them for just over 30 years now, they were originally bought as PMS and I can remember Audio Projects altering them to DMS all those years ago whilst I was still living in Leeds.

Three of the tweeters have the 'usual' level of dome damage - the uppers as the result of the cat sleeping on the grilles - the forward facing one I'm not sure.

As I'm heading back down to south to collect stuff from Class A and Cymbiosis out of intrigue I'm going to be heading out to Preston to see Simon Hamnett and see what he does to Briks and do some listening.

I wondered what the considered advice/ comments of others on this forum would be with respect to doing anything to my speakers. There will be a body who would probably say if it ain't broke don't fix it and I must admit I say this myself.

The money I have spent on the system previously has been based on what I hear i.e. improvements to the musicality/ involvement. Simon's postings suggest improvements to the original can be had with like for like replacement units or even substitution with different drivers. The only way I can know this for myself is sitting in front of them and listening and that is what I intend to do.

Having spent somewhere in the region of £9,500 (including transport costs) recently I'm wary of spending a great deal more.

Sitting in front of the actively driven 808's last week reminded me of why I bought the Briks in the first place, it almost took me back to sitting in the listening room at Audio Projects all those years ago and deciding within about 2 minutes that active was the only way to go (along with buying the Briks).

Over to the collective wisdom of the forum.........

Regards

Richard

Have a listen to some ATC actives? Audio Images in Sheffield stock naim & ATC. You will get best part of £1k each for the serviced Nap250s, may be a better option than throwing more money at the Briks?

Woodface - I must admit I hadn't considered replacement in that way, I guess I should keep my options open and not remain blinkered.

Sitting in front of a pair of 808's last week reminded me why I went active but £21,000 is more than I'm willing to pay and I imagine there would be a fair queue for an ex-demo pair and only 20 dealers.........

I'll wait to see if anybody else offers suggestions.

Regards

Richard

hifi has moved on a long way, make sure you are not wearing rose tinted glasses when you audition things, or you could just be chasing the dream, a bit like me with linn lp12 had three gave them all up, the retro hifi dream can be very expensive, new hifi is far superior, i love going to the WAM show and seeing what people are playing at the moment, but i personally would not buy any of the gear they are showing, onward and upwards as they say

I'm kind of getting up to speed on where the industry is now, whether where we are is progress or 'superior' is, as ever, debatable. We should all remember what was said when the CD came out and where are they now?

Rose tinted glasses - yes and no. I let my ears decide. Ultimately it is the musicality rather than technology.

An opinion expressed recently, by somebody who has been in the business a long time, was that the Isobariks were a part of the best system he'd ever heard.

I am a great admirer of some Linn Products but when they start messing about with variable timing of frequencies emitted by a speaker and then move on to SO I'm minded to think that 'we' are losing the plot and trying to find use for the computing power we now have available to us.

I will be conducting a three way audition the next time down at Cymbiosis. It will be a match between the Climax LP12, a Karik III/ late Numerik and a Klimax Linn streamer playing the same pieces of music from three different mediums.

Regards

Richard

Modern speakers will convey much more detail but that isn't necessarily what everyone enjoys. Replacement drivers or even another pair of Isobariks for spares will cost hundreds not thousands. You have source components that are way more detailed than anything available when the Isobariks were designed and manufactured, I would listen to them for a few months and it should become apparent whether you feel the speakers are failing to convey the music in the way that you want.

Woodface - I must admit I hadn't considered replacement in that way, I guess I should keep my options open and not remain blinkered.

Sitting in front of a pair of 808's last week reminded me why I went active but £21,000 is more than I'm willing to pay and I imagine there would be a fair queue for an ex-demo pair and only 20 dealers.........

I'll wait to see if anybody else offers suggestions.

Regards

Richard
Everything else in your system will be playing as it should, I have an LP12 & naim based system similar to yours but playing passively through SBLs. I think active speakers are a real game changer at the moment as they offer so much flexibility upstream & very high fidelity. It is the direction I will be looking at when I gather enough cash.

It seems sensible to try your existing speakers with your 'new' source/amplification, allowing everything to 'bed-in', and see what you think; then, if still curious, try some alternatives.

Don't assume that 'newer must mean better', and that 'progress is always made' (which you don't seem to be :cool:) - some of us use older equipment for reasons other than nostalgia. :)

SNIP

I will be conducting a three way audition the next time down at Cymbiosis. It will be a match between the Climax LP12, a Karik III/ late Numerik and a Klimax Linn streamer playing the same pieces of music from three different mediums.

Regards

Richard

Oh dear, that'll be you kicked out of the Linn Klub, then! ;)

Given that digital has moved on significantly in the past 20 years, a modern linn streamer will kick the karik/numerik into the middle of next week.

Isobariks are still viable and servicable and a late kustone pair with working drivers will require significant investment to improve on.

Actively driven with Linn Exakt DSP and properly setup room alignment they don't sound like anything but music.

As opposed to ATC's that don't sound anything like music.

Id recommend deleting the upward firing drivers (removal and blanking plates fitted) and maybe a tweeter upgrade depending on the vintage you have.

If you want a recommendation for a modern speaker as replacement id look at some B&W 802D3 but even they dont have the same ability to start and stop in the low bass.

... Simon's postings suggest improvements to the original can be had with like for like replacement units or even substitution with different drivers.
Simon also says in his eBay listings that his replacement CB fascias improve sound quality. So take everything with a huge grain of salt.

"It's the new fascias, they REALLY DO improve the sound of any Naim amp they are fitted too - honest !
A prize to anyone who can tell which fascias are Original and which are Non original. Clue - I can't tell by looking and I fitted them! But you can tell by the improvement in sound quality over original fronts."

FFS

All comments appreciated - as I said earlier any manufacturer, including one based in Preston, can claim what they want but I'll still listen and let my ears decide.

I guess I already knew I needed to 'sit on my hands' as far as the speakers are concerned. Put the system back together and sit back and enjoy and then decide. I've already had a response from Jerry at Falcon Acoustics (all credit there on a Sunday) and also a possible lead to a pair of late Isobariks which are available for sale - I'll need to determine the state of the tweeters but could be tempted.

I'm intrigued at David's suggestion of removing the upward firing drivers.... I'm far from sure I could live with the appearance of the 803's

Regards

Richard

Removing the upward firing drivers will of course remove most of what makes the brik sound special.

Well I’ll have to bow to your greater experience on that one.

How many pairs of isobariks with deleted upfiring drivers have you heard?

Well I’ll have to bow to your greater experience on that one.

How many pairs of isobariks with deleted upfiring drivers have you heard?

Only my own ones. And they are not deleted, just selectively disabled (allowing me to do A/B).

You can’t fundamentally change the speakers output without expecting the optimal speaker position to be altered.

Hi Richard, fundamentally there is nothing wrong with what you have. I would get it going correctly and then assess what if anything to do then.

Personally I would not be travelling up and down to Cymbiosis. I would be looking to work with someone local and competent, for example, Audio projects or SO to get the system as it stands singing.

For me that would be

1) getting all the tweeters swapped out for new Scanspeaks (sans Ferrofluid, and big glob of glue on their backs). Drivers correctly tightened
2) Getting the Bariks sat on their stands correctly so they do not rock around at all.
3) New grills and a damn good cabinet polish for the Bariks to get them looking good.
4) Equipment correctly positioned, i.e not between the speakers. Make sure all cables are 'good'.

And then see what you think. It'll take the SNAXO a few days to get going in any case. I would not be any rush to drop money on anything when I don't have a good apreciation of what I already have.

So contact Hamish at SO, or perhaps ply Dave Ellwood with beer and curry....

advertisement

Back