advertisement

isoacoustics isolators

Engels

pfm Member
I live in a modern house with solid floors, carpets and plasterboard walls. The teenage daughters bedroom is right above the room where the hifi lives. It must the only house in the world ever where the teenager rather than the parent complains the music is too loud. It does travel quite well into her room

At the Bristol hifi show last year (remember these events pre-Covid?) I did hear a demo of speakers with and without iso-acoustic isolators under the speakers and it clearly made a difference. No surprise there but the cost to do 2 floor standers on carpets will be almost £500.

I wonder if this would reduce the transmission and improve the sound though, or would changing speakers and boosting the budget by £500 give a better result.

Anyone have any positive or negative experience of IsoAcoustics GAIA-IIIs plus carpet spike receptacles

I would imagine that any sort of decoupling under your speakers will have a negligible effect on your daughter's room, as she is experiencing the situation where pressure waves within your hifi room are causing your ceiling to flex and vibrate, which is making her bedroom floor act like a sound box.

I have a similar problem. Beneath my music room is the family TV room / grandchildren's playroom and I can here absolutely everything that goes on in there. Fortunately my parents watch 90% of TV in their kitchen and their grandchildren's visits are infrequent so it isn't a problem, otherwise I'd be relocating my room to the other side of the house! I reckon you'd need to undertake some pretty major structural work to significantly reduce the amount of noise traveling upwards through the ceiling to your daughter's room.

Its the Gaia IIIs I was thinking of. If I could find some second hand or offered sale or return I'd give them a go anyway - but thanks for the advice - clutching at straws and just have to keep the amp volume less than "eleven"

Try this. https://www.hifiwigwam.com/forum/to...other-isolation/?tab=comments#comment-2697177
Cheap to try, and they have all sorts of other uses. They do work; I just tried them under a TT in my loft system, and it reduced the transmission of footfall to the TT. Annoyingly one of them very slowly deflated, and that was one of the expensive pair!
However, it may well be that the sound is air borne. If you have an accelerometer app on your phone, try it on the speaker and on the floor. If the floor measures much the same as the speaker, isolation probably won't help much. With my inner tube isolation platforms in the loft, they make a BIG difference, but that is on a very springy floor.
But at least this would be a very cheap way to find out. And the Gaia supports won't be more effective.
This is the app I use https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.keuwl.accelerometer&hl=en_US&gl=US.

iso acoustic pucks are great vfm , they make quite an improvement under a lot of equipment including standmounts and lighter floorstanders

I think they're worth using as they'll probably improve your system's sound, but I don't hold out much hope that they'll do much to reduce the amount of transmission to your daughter's room. But maybe if the sound is better, she'll complain less!

I think they're worth using as they'll probably improve your system's sound, but I don't hold out much hope that they'll do much to reduce the amount of transmission to your daughter's room. But maybe if the sound is better, she'll complain less!

I found that I did not need spikes on my Gaia - used on a carpet lying on a suspended wooden floor

I live in a modern house with solid floors, carpets and plasterboard walls. The teenage daughters bedroom is right above the room where the hifi lives. It must the only house in the world ever where the teenager rather than the parent complains the music is too loud. It does travel quite well into her room

At the Bristol hifi show last year (remember these events pre-Covid?) I did hear a demo of speakers with and without iso-acoustic isolators under the speakers and it clearly made a difference. No surprise there but the cost to do 2 floor standers on carpets will be almost £500.

I wonder if this would reduce the transmission and improve the sound though, or would changing speakers and boosting the budget by £500 give a better result.

Anyone have any positive or negative experience of IsoAcoustics GAIA-IIIs plus carpet spike receptacles

what are the floorstanders ? to put 8 iso pucks under them would not cost 500 quid . you can put isopucks on a piece of wood or something . 2 packs of these is 176 quid

https://sxpro.co.uk/isoacoustics-is...2fyFjVsWQBglXiwNY4DF1vqdymOunQzQaAkmmEALw_wcB

They might improve the sound within the room but they won't stop the transmission of energy into other parts of the house.

You might get better results with some of Max Townshend's isolation/seismic platforms. These will help to reduce the transmission of energy into the floor. They probably cost about the same too.

Sh townshend Stella about 400 to 500 pounds , they are very good . I bought my last set off a well known audiophile who had a flat and the Stella were designed for this downward firing speaker

They had a big hole in the middle for this driver ! Needless to say they were not very good in a flat !!

I have wooden floors (over concrete), so have no need for spikes, but the GAIA III footers did make a nice difference in my system. I thought that the footers would clean up the bass frequencies, but to my surprise they mainly added a nice dose of delicacy and finesse to what were already pretty decent speakers
(Devore Fidelity Gibbon 8). They're worth trying even if they don't make your daughter's life easier!

I thought that the footers would clean up the bass frequencies, but to my surprise they mainly added a nice dose of delicacy and finesse to what were already pretty decent speakers

They obviously “did” clean up the bass frequencies as this was masking the mids and treble, I experienced a similar revelation when I fully treated my room acoustics, I was expecting to hear an improvement in bass response but what was more apparent was the clarity and definition I gained, along with a definable increase in bass response which sounded whip crack fast

Depending on your house construction you need to insulate the ceiling. Easiest to do if there are floorboard up there. You will need fibre based insulation such as rock wool.

I thought spikes were all about coupling and the Gaias were all about de-coupling. Hence the movement built into the things. I've never tried a set, but I think that it seems more in line with the Townshend stuff than spikes are. Anyone know more?

advertisement

Back