advertisement

isoacoustics isolators

I am well aware of Sue’s proclivities, who can forget the cat piss deflectors, but if the sound has changed then the measurements will have changed, which leaves the option Sue suggested, suggestibility.
Keith

I assume you didn't detect the sarcasm in Sue's post, Keith?! :rolleyes:
It’s fine, really. Keith is the self-appointed chair of the selectors for the Foo Olympics.

Keith, I’m not sure cat piss deflectors were mine. I probably participated in the thread, but I doubt I’d be dumb enough to start a thread subtopic on them, in certain company.

Previously did the Townshend / Iso comparison with floor standers (win for Townshend due to better / more correct bass).

Was using neither since switching to standmounts, but just tried iso Pucks between speaker and stand. Cleaner mids and highs, but again not convinced about the bass.

Dug out Townshend bars and bravely constructed a tower of speaker / stand / bamboo chopping board / Townshend bars.

Still evaluating, but again, isolation seems an "essential' tweak with Townshend doing the trick.

I wouldn't mind getting in on the isolation action this weekend, what with the Audio T offer and all. I've got a pair of Tannoy Eatons on Atacama stands (part filled with fish tank gravel) and at the bottom of the stack is a pair mana sound frames (one sound frame under each speaker and stand). The floor where the speakers are is as quite uneven - I reckon there's a good 1-inch drop across the diagonal plane between spikes so it's far from ideal. I would like to improve the bass response but I'm not up for splashing cash just for the sake of it.

Unless I can really tighten up the bass, the way it's turning out is that I'm only inclined to play music that has great dynamic range so that the bass response doesn't dominate the sound field, or excessively disturb my neighbours. Are the Isoacoustic pucks the way to go, and if so, where would I put them: Oreas between top of stand and speaker or between bottom of stand and top of mana, or Gaias at the very bottom between sound frame and carpet?

Try acoustically measuring your room, room mode derived bass reinforcements are really common ( boomy bass) and easily fixed.
Keith

Try acoustically measuring your room, room mode derived bass reinforcements are really common ( boomy bass) and easily fixed.
Keith

I've got REW installed and a UMIK mic plugged into my mac but I've no idea what to do next. Is there are an idiot-proof guide as to how to take measurements and then make sense of them?

Townsend Podiums have really helped tame a boom with my main speakers in the only position accepted by the family and at least the door can open now. Probably off-topic but I do like the little MusicWorks AcouPlex discs under some electronics, they seem to add a degree of ambience, wether real or imagined.

I've got REW installed and a UMIK mic plugged into my mac but I've no idea what to do next. Is there are an idiot-proof guide as to how to take measurements and then make sense of them?
First step is to get REWs test tones through your loudspeakers, have you done that, select microphone as input and your dac as output.
Keith

How do I do that? Can I burn them to a CD? Or generate a WAV or FLAC file for my streamer?

Apparently, the sweep tones are already in REW. I'm trying to figure it out myself but I'm getting a message about my Mac's soundcard.

I managed to get a sweep and here's what I ended up with - green is left speaker and red is right. I literally have no idea what this means.

50989315528_47aef50f34_c.jpg

Apparently, the sweep tones are already in REW. I'm trying to figure it out myself but I'm getting a message about my Mac's soundcard.

I found this video really useful to get started with REW and UMIK-1

you need to have your PC connected to your DAC to output the test tones btw.

I found this video really useful to get started with REW and UMIK-1

you need to have your PC connected to your DAC to output the test tones btw.

Creating an EQ curve seems quite advanced but his take on how to generate tests is the best I've seen for a REW beginner like me. I'm off to give it another go now that I have a good guide to follow :)

A couple of pointers on REW:

- I'd stick with running tests at the default -20dBFS level, it lets you crank your amp's volume up to approx the same position as you would be listening to music at. Increasing the output level to -12dBFS will likely force you to turn your amp's volume down to achieve 75dbC at the listening seat, and if your amp's volume pot has issues with channel matching near the bottom of its range then this will produce suboptimal results.

- Set levels using Periodic Pink Noise instead of standard Pink Noise, its spectral content is more constant through time.

- Remove objects from the vicinity of the mic, including your listening chair if possible.

- If you are staying in the room during measurement, stand away from the mic and remain silent during the sweep.

- Check the distortion plot to see if your measurement has been contaminated by external sources of noise (e.g. passing traffic, footfall, wind, rain, etc), if it has then repeat the measurement.

- By all means take a stereo measurement with both speakers driven at the same time if you want to, but for better consistency I'd strongly advise measuring left and right speakers separately and then averaging them. This eliminates the risk of spurious comb filtering at the mic position. (I can get MASSIVELY different results in the treble simply by angling the mic by a degree or two or by moving it a few mm's when both speakers are being measured at the same time, this does NOT happen when measure them individually).

I give up. I keep on getting an error message saying no soundcard input data or something like that. REW knows the mic is connected and the calibration file has been applied so why it work I've no idea. I've tried everything I think. I've been into all the settings on my mac and still it won't work. The two I managed earlier were apparently clipping so I shouldn't have used them. I don't know. I don't know and I'm feeling quite frustrated about it all.

I use GAIA II with my active ATC's. When I first installed them I was very surprised by the difference compared to regular spikes and spike shoes I used before. The biggest difference you hear immediately is that the sound doesn't travel from speakers to the floor and walls like it used to. The room won't live with speakers but instead you hear the sound coming from where it should, the speakers. I live in three room apartment and the sound doesn't travel to other rooms with GAIA's anymore. You can play louder without disturbing neighbors.

Spot on Sue, REW and a microphone is far more accurate than your ears, so ‘if’ the sound has changed then the measurements will have changed.
Keith
So all you need is an instrument comprehensive enough to measure, how certain are we that we have this? Does using two microphones change anything, as we now have to look at time differences and other factors, interferences and other complications that exist when you're using human ears. I find the measurement theory quite banal and lacking imagination. Life is never that simple.

Only one microphone required even an inexpensive USB model will be more than adequate, two measurements at the same output level without moving the microphone position, REW software, if the floor is audibly resonating it can be measured.
Keith

Well I’ve had some Gaia 2s installed on my Focal 1028bes for about an hour, having gone with the Audio T offer. Not sure yet how to describe it, but the effect is not subtle and very definitely for the better. Some more listening required before I can accurately describe the effect, but I’d initially say more speed and snap to the bass, more general crispness and being able to pick out more discernibly some of the background elements of the mix/soundstage.

advertisement

Back