advertisement

Is this really Paul Weller?

Mine arrived today, but as my TT isn’t set up atm it will be a few weeks I expect before I hear it. I’ve heard 2 tracks on the radio, sounds like him to me. How many 66 year olds sound like they did at 25/30.

His album ‘True Meanings’ from about 7 years ago and the subsequent ‘Live at the Festival Hall’ album are 2 of the best albums from this century imo.

Agree with @Woodface, some of the fans at his gigs look ridiculous trying to emulate the look. Weller is now a few years t-total, spends a lot of time in the gym and spends a hell of a lot on clothes and shoes.

Cheers BB

Love the guy brought going underground when I was 10 . Love the jam some style council stuff and mostly all solo especially the early stuff . He does a lot of work with the stone fountain. My balloon is rising is a brilliant song . Seen him a fair few times and all you here from the casual fan is why don't he play more jam . I find it great how he can change his style he never sticks to one thing . The new album is different yet again and personally I don't like when he sings like this . I prefer the more soulful funk stuff he does but still good in places
The Stone Foundation are superb and excellent live.

Cheers BB

Mine arrived today, but as my TT isn’t set up atm it will be a few weeks I expect before I hear it. I’ve heard 2 tracks on the radio, sounds like him to me. How many 66 year olds sound like they did at 25/30.

His album ‘True Meanings’ from about 7 years ago and the subsequent ‘Live at the Festival Hall’ album are 2 of the best albums from this century imo.

Agree with @Woodface, some of the fans at his gigs look ridiculous trying to emulate the look. Weller is now a few years t-total, spends a lot of time in the gym and spends a hell of a lot on clothes and shoes.

Cheers BB
True meanings and festival hall are brilliant. I was lucky enough to pick them both up at a great price both under £20 each.

Love the guy brought going underground when I was 10 . Love the jam some style council stuff and mostly all solo especially the early stuff . He does a lot of work with the stone fountain. My balloon is rising is a brilliant song . Seen him a fair few times and all you hear from the casual fan is why don't he play more jam . I find it great how he can change his style he never sticks to one thing . The new album is different yet again and personally I don't like when he sings like this . I prefer the more soulful funk stuff he does but still good in places
Well said.

I couldn't stand the guy no matter how long I tried ,I just couldn't get into his music. Have a couple of albums, probably played them once!
Perhaps it was due to me being a rocker?:D. ' time to get out of here' :oops:.

Cheers BB
Still smokes though apparently

I briefly heard one of his new singles and didn’t immediately take to it, but I’ve always considered Paul Weller to be one of the true great modern singer songwriters. I haven’t liked everything he’s done by a long shot but he’s consistently sincere in what he does and doesn’t seem to pander to what’s current or expected. His best work (through all his periods) is brilliant, he’s definitely a treasure in British music.

The Jam in 1978 were genuinely the most exciting live band around (just shading the Clash imho). Those memories of nights at Barbarellas in Birmingham are still really strong - what times! I still have the first three albums, but rarely play them now. It was the live experience that I wanted to buy really. I lost interest in Mr Weller once he started disowning his "punk" past - just a means to an end. Fair enough, I suppose.....

I doubt that Bruce Foxton can still get this airtime!

2015TheJam_GettyImages-138761037120615-1.jpg

advertisement

Back