advertisement

Is this really Paul Weller?

On first listen, the last track on 66 is fab. Didn't much care for the rest though. Bit bland. Wildwood is still his best solo outing for me.

The Jam in 1978 were genuinely the most exciting live band around (just shading the Clash imho). Those memories of nights at Barbarellas in Birmingham are still really strong - what times! I still have the first three albums, but rarely play them now. It was the live experience that I wanted to buy really. I lost interest in Mr Weller once he started disowning his "punk" past - just a means to an end. Fair enough, I suppose.....

I doubt that Bruce Foxton can still get this airtime!

2015TheJam_GettyImages-138761037120615-1.jpg
I like your post - must have been brilliant seeing the jam live. Although i never really thought of them as being punk, just part of the, greatly needed, “new wave” .

His album ‘True Meanings’ from about 7 years ago and the subsequent ‘Live at the Festival Hall’ album are 2 of the best albums from this century imo.
I have everything he's done up through "Saturn's Pattern", which is where he lost me (I really didn't connect with anything after "As Is Now"), so I never heard "True Meanings". Halfway through it now on youtube and already ordered – thanks!

I have everything he's done up through "Saturn's Pattern", which is where he lost me (I really didn't connect with anything after "As Is Now"), so I never heard "True Meanings". Halfway through it now on youtube and already ordered – thanks!
Glad you like it, it's his best work since Stanley Road IMO.

Cheers BB

Who can forget the day Going Undergound went straight in at no 1? Double Physics for me - not much was done! The guy's a star...
Met him at the the original Birmingham Queen Street station, he was going to Birmingham International. He was a gent to me, I asked him for an autograph and he said 'sure what do you want me to write?'.

That was easy, I said please sign it, 'That's entertainment'. Because that's what it was.

Legend.

advertisement

Back